Help with Micro SD card

Tom Adams

I'm sure there's other places on the web to ask this, but there's some here that not only know about this stuff, but can answer a question so that even an idiot like me will understand.

I took some photos recently with my camera phone and realized that the only way for me to transfer them to my PC was to copy them from the phone's memory to a micro SD card. Then I could insert the micro SD into the standard SD adapter thing and place that in my PC's multi-drive. The copy from phone to micro SD went ok, but when I place the SD adapter into the multi-drive and asked the PC to open the "G" drive, the computer just grinds away and basically hangs up until I do a task manager shut down. One of the times I tried to get the PC to open the drive I got an error box stating there was an I/O error. Oh - and the images are stored as .jpg's.

I've tried using an SD card from my camera and the PC reads it just fine. Did I need to format the micro SD card first before storing images to it? Could it just be a bad SD adapter?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Tom

• Moderators

I use Sd cards for my camera and was told to format in the camera not the computer, maby the card should have been formatted it in your phone before taking the pic's ? I know just enough to work what I have but jpg's is standard unless it has something to do with that formating? But if it has images stored you would think it's ok?

Hopefully someone who knows will answer. Can you plug in a wire from the phone to the usb on the computer, that is the other way i can load onto the computer.

There are a couple of different versions of these mini SD cards. I bought one for my digital camera and had similar formatting problems. I took the card back to the store and they changed it for another one that performed perfectly. I did't even need to format the new card.

It'll be a miracle if this message gets posted. My company has gotten a really smart new web filtering software that wil let you read/view forums, but somehow it knows when you post a message/reply. I mean, I can type all this, hit the post button and POOF! No message posted. Those sneaky sumb*tches..... Angry

Anyhow.....yeah - I was hoping I could just attach a USB cable directly from the phone to the PC and download the images that way. You would think that would be the easiest/simplest way. But the phone's manual specifically states that can't be done. I think I'm gonna copy the images back to the phone's memory, try to format the micro SD card, copy the images back to the micro SD and see if that does the trick. If not, I'll try a different brand of micro SD. BTW, the SD card I use in my digi Canon is a SanDisc and it works perfectly. So when I bought this SanDisc micro SD & adapter I felt pretty certain it would be on too.

Thanks for the help guys.

Tom

I've tried using an SD card from my camera and the PC reads it just fine. Did I need to format the micro SD card first before storing images to it? Could it just be a bad SD adapter?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Tom

The card would've had to already been formatted in order for images to be stored on it in the first place. My gut feeling is that either somthing got corrupted on the card or you have a flaky adaptor. Actually not a bad idea to try to copy the images back off within the phone itself, try to format it inside the phone and copy the images back to it. Could hopefully clear up any corruption that may have occured.

Can't you email the pics from your phone to yourself?

What brand of phone do you have? I got a thrid party piece of software (free) for my Sony Ericsson, that let's me do more than the regular Sony software.

Bruce