Mud Bugs!

Brac

So believe it or not, my lake here in Maine has lots of Crawdad! I have tried to cook them a few times, but I just can't get that great spice I love from down south. Anybody know how to make it, or have a source for it?

I'm getting ready to put the traps out again, and want these to come out like I bought them in the Bayou!

We use old bay for al kinds of shellfish here- also Phillips crab seasoning.

We use crawdads for fish bait here. You WILL catch a fish with every one you use. Big bass love them.

I have been to many Louisana crawfish cookings down at the duck hunt "camp" in chauvin. Picnic tables covered with newspaper. Cajun music and loads of beer- Could it possible get any better than that??

I typed the whole stuped thing again and hit post and it said I timed out ! Angry

I thought that only ever happened to me! I'll add some pics of my catch to this post tomorrow, or the next day, depending on how well the traps do tonight.

Brac,

Very cool that you have crawfish in Maine. Any kind of shrimp or crab boil will do. Be prepared to add some cayenne pepper to the boil, too.

Our favorite way to prepare them is use the same boil to cook new potatoes and corn on the cob. Very good. We dump it all out on newspaper in the middle of a picnic table. Everyone serves their own plate from the pile.

One thing, if the boiled crawfish has a straight tail, don't eat it. That one was dead before it hit the boiling water. The tail will curl under when they hit the water live.

some helpful info below.

http://www.crawdads.net/prices/#HOW TO BOIL CRAWFISH (Follow recipe)

HOW TO BOIL CRAWFISH (Follow recipe):

Boiled Crawfish, Crab or Shrimp

Water1/2 oz. Cayenne pepper (optional)26 oz. container of salt10-12 cloves of garlic (optional)4 large lemons or 8 oz. bottle of real lemon juiceMushrooms to taste (optional)3 lbs. medium red potatoes (unpeeled)40 lbs. of live crawfish, crabs or shrimp2 lbs. small whole onions18 small frozen corn cobs1 bag powdered seafood boil or 4 oz. bottle liquid seafood boil (more for spicier taste)Note: Vegetables can be adjusted according to your taste.Fill 1/2 pot of very large pot with water. Add all ingredients except seafood (corn, potatoes, onions, shallots, mushrooms, etc.). Boil ingredients for 20 minutes except frozen corn and mushrooms - boil those for 10 minutes. Take out vegetables and bring water back to a boil. Add seafood and boil 5 minutes for crawfish, 20 minutes for crabs and 3 minutes for shrimp. Remove from heat and allow seafood to soak for 5 minutes with cover off. Remove seafood from water. Serve with seafood dip. For Cajun style serving, place a lot of newspaper on a long table, and pour the drained vegetables and seafood on the newspaper. Allow 4-5 lbs. for heavy crawfish eaters, 2-3 lbs. for light or new crawfish eaters.

We love shrimp too, in fact I just got done peeling a few pounds, I am doing a quick chile lime marinade, then on to the grill!

DD, that is one heck of a recipie, 40 POUNDS of seafood!

I like the old bay, for crabs, but I am addicted to the crawdad flavor I used to get down south at the festivals.

Best part of the Ft. Lauderdale Blues Fest was the crawdad, and the music, beer, and half nekid women, and %$@#$&*!

• Moderators

1/2 oz. Cayenne pepper (optional

Dee that can't be right 1/2 oz of cayenne pepper ( optional ) [:o] OPTIONAL what are they making baby formula ? [:|]............They are depending on liquid seasoning for flavor, a little is ok but not as a main spice, it gets a little nasty if you use enough for any real flavor.

Then they say this....

"For Cajun style serving, place a lot of newspaper on a long table, and pour the drained vegetables and seafood on the newspaper. Allow 4-5 lbs. for heavy crawfish eaters, 2-3 lbs. for light or new crawfish eaters "

They better hope there are no " cajuns " there or anyone else who know what they would taste like, they will get there butts kicked for ruining good crawfish like that.

• Moderators

When we buy crawfish here it's a sack, anywhere from 30-40 pounds so this is for one sack.

There are may ways to cook anything, this is how I cook crawfish. [:D]

I use ingredients you can get at any grocery store it's a little cheaper that way if I do add anything it's a couple of these bags of seasoning along with everything else..

http://shop.zatarains.com/zatarains®-crab-shrimp-boil-–-dry-p-1574.html?=

I use a "large" boiling pot with removable basket, filled about 3/4 with water, start the burner to bring to a boil. While it is heating up add these seasonings.

1 bottle/box cayenne pepper 16 oz...or a little more, I usually use 1.5 boxes but I didn't want anyone to panic, remember it's alot of water and food to spice.

1.5 boxes of salt ( standard box 26 oz )

1 bag of lemons cut in half

about 12 bay leaves whole

about 6 heads of garlic (not cloves) cut in half to expose the raw garlic

1 bag of onions cut in half, when I say bags I think that's the normal 3 lb bag

1 head of celery, I just cut off the root end then cut in half

2 or 3 bag of the Zatarains bag seasoning if you want, not required and do NOT BREAK the bag, leave it sealed.

5-10 pounds of little red potatoes depending on how much you like spicy boiled potatoes. This is not a seasoning but now is when you would put them in the pot.

While the pot is coming to a boil purge the crawfish by putting them in a container you can add water up to the level of the crawfish. Add 1 box of salt and leave them sit for about 5 minutes this will clean out the crawfish. Drain and rinse.

Bring the pot to a fast boil and add the crawfish and bring back to a boil.

While it heating back up now is the time to add " optional " smoke sausage cut into 2 inch pieces and whole mushrooms.

While the pot is coming back to a boil the crawfish will start to float, this is normal, when it starts to boil turn off the burner and leave them soak.

This is now the time to add corn, we cut a whole corn in half or use the cut pieces you buy frozen in the bag, just pitch them in now. If they are not in the water just push them down a little if they were frozen to get them into the water.

You are now soaking the crawfish which is actually just finishing the cooking but really letting the seasoning soak into the crawfish. I let them soak for 35 minutes then take out a couple an let them cool a little to taste them. When you taste them also make sure they peel ok, if a little hard to peel let them soak for about 15 more minutes. Also you are tasting to see how much seasoning as been absorbed into the meat, so the longer you soak them the more seasoning they will have.

Usually after 35 minutes they peel fine but need to soak a little longer to get a little more seasoning.

Keep tasting and when they taste like you want remove from the pot or drain the pot depending on your setup

When you remove the crawfish if you used any of those bags of seasoning remove them now without breaking them. The bags are filled with thousands of little seeds and they make a mess when broken.

This is the way i have done it for 30+ years and never had a complaint, the potatoes, onions, garlic, celery, sausage, corn, mushrooms are to eat and not just seasoning.

The most we have ever cooked was 15 sacks for a big party we had, it took half the day just to cook.

Do NOT wipe you eyes while eating, if you do you won't do it a second time.

Try not to explode, and if you like cold beer now would be a good time if you haven't started already !

Dtel, That sounds great, I can't wait to try it out! I think I'm gonna fish for several days till I get at least 10-15 pounds. Your partys must be legendary, that is one hell of a feedbag! Thanks for taking the time to type that up 3 times!

I'm getting ready to put the traps out again, and want these to come out like I bought them in the Bayou!

This is what we use down here for boiling all sorts of seafood. The dry crab boil is the most often used product. Don't be shy about putting in some quartered onions, and maybe corn on the cob and/or potatoes (at the end of the boiling)

http://www.zatarains.com/content.cfm?id=10372

Until my dying day I will NEVER forget that feast that Dtel put on for the gang there for the wedding week- WOW, that was some food, not shy on the seasoning that's for sure. I recall a slight burning in the eyes just being in the kitchen with him, but I'm a northerner.

Yeah, I'd cook it exactly as he's laid out if I were to do it.

But my friends here in Indiana just wouldn't understand.

Michael

post-10755-13819499181584_thumb.jpg