Older Receivers/Amps/ Pre-amps Obsolete?

Bill H.

Yesterday's top of the line receivers are incredible deals now that newer units with HDMI, Audyssey, etc. have taken over. There's some sweet receivers from brands like Denon, Harman/Kardon, Marantz that are only a few years old that can be had for $150-250 that originally sold for up to $2000. A lot of them have 5.1 or 7.1 discrete inputs so if a person has a Blu-Ray player with 5.1/7.1 discrete outputs you'll still be hearing the latest HD audio formats.

If I didn't have a PS3 (which doesn't have 5.1/7.1 outputs) but had a Blu-Ray player that did I wouldn't think twice about picking up an older receiver like I mentioned above.

I love the delicate, music-like qualities of refurbished, vintage integrated tube amplifiers on big ole horns. I think they are an excellent value. The next best investment for amplification must be vintage solid-state receivers, like the twin-transformer Harmon Kardon 430-930 series receivers that everybody loves so much with big ole horns. These receivers cost about $700 in the seventies, worth about $2K in current dollars, but amplifiers with their sound quality cost about double that. If not HK, that think weight; buy the biggest, heaviest vintage front equipment you can for the least price and then search these forums for somebody to clean it up. Requires some work, but is usually well worth the wait and the price.

Frequent poster NOSvalves refurbishes vintage tube equipment.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/120721.aspx

Remember you can add the latest blue ray players to older pre amps if they have a 8 channel analog input capability too.

In my case, I let the Sony BR DVD player do the sound codecs analog out, and pass it through to the Sunfire Pre Amp to the Sunfire Amp too.

I used the HDMI to DVI connector to my projector for a fantastic picture.

One thing I can say for sure is this, it really was a HUGE difference in sound on the Blue Ray depending on the movie and now I have the latest greatest etc., etc., without the big pocketbook expense of a new pre amp too. The blue ray player also plays my older DVD discs and CD's and they look and sound incredible.

It's awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm toying with the same delema only I'm thinking of buying a used Stage One.

I’m looking at using a TV as the video and audio switcher.

The TV is the Panasonic TC-P50V10 which according to the Panasonic representative I’ve talked to has a digital audio pass thru.

What I would like to do is connect my cable box and DVD player to the TV via HDMI and then connect with one digital audio cable to the stage one.

Any thoughts? Is it even worth looking at a good stage one?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the Stage One has a discrete 7.1 inputs on it. I think it might reuire a special cable that MSB Technology sells. And for thise with BR players that lack 7.1 Discrete Outputs, there are a number of DAC's on the market now that will pass through a video feed from an HDMI cable while converting the Bitstreem 7.1 Sound to Analog so you can input it into your 7.1 discreet connections. I do not know the sound quality of these DACS, but I have seen them floating for sub $200. This is similar to what I was talking about http://www.ambery.com/2hddodtsdihd.html . I beleive this only does LPCM to Analogue, but still gets you 7.1 sound.

Using a BR player with internal decoding and 7.1 outputs though effectively keeps all "older" pre-amps relevant if they have the proper 7.1 discreet inputs and infact, they may be better positioned should the next great thing not be an HDMI cable...I mean why else would all of the mfg's be hedging their bets by still keeping 7.1 discreet imputs on all of their pre-amps if the technology is outdated.

I would think that some smart company out there must make and sell some sort of upgrade, plug-in box for older recievers that would provide input points and audio codecs that could be plug-and-play for some of the better, recievers that are up to 8 years old and bring them back into audio compliance with the latest media. I'm talking about a high-quality unit here, not something from Rad-Shack, if you know what I mean? It's almost obscene how we all spend our hard-earned money to buy this wonderful gear, only to have it obsolesed nearly overnight each time a new codec is realeased. This is really making me start to consider going to HTPC for the future because the user can upgrade all of the firmware for next to nothing and remain compliant.

I'd also like to welcome mikeVAN25 and jjc to the Klipsch forum. It's good to have you here. -Glenn

• Moderators

That's just the nature of electronics. Computer technology changes much faster than audio and video technology. That's why I don't buy top of the line or the latest and greatest when it comes to electronics. If you don't mind staying a year or two behind the curve, you will save yourself a TON of money. The only thing I have spent top dollar for was for my projector. I will probably kick myself in a year or two when it drops from $2500 to under $1000. It had one major feature that I "needed" called "memory zoom" that other projectors did not offer.

Youthman: I could not agree with you more and no one knows this from personal experience better that me: In 2004 I spent $8,000 for my projector which, to this day, works awesome with eveything I plug into it, including Blu-Ray. In it's day, it was pretty much the best thing out there. However, the best inputs it has are Compononet Video. There's no DVI or HDMI compliance at all. Lesson learned.....BIG TIME!! Yet, the picture we get still amazes, not only me, but our theater's visitors, too; so I am happy. -Glenn