7.1 and Emotiva....

-BC-

my question on 7.1 and emotiva is which configuration would be best......

option A) xpa-5 for the fronts, center and sides and a upa-2 (125w x2) for the rears?

option B) or an xpa-2 for the fronts and the xpa-5 for the center, sides and rears?

i
definitely like the extra power from the xpa-2 to power the fronts, especially for 2 channel stereo, but
will that leave the center lacking for HT? your opions on configuration and options please....

i like emotivas prices and there 30 day return policy. i figure if i dont like it i can always return it.

I would use the xpa-2 on the mains and the xpa-5 on the center,sides and rears. The xpa-2 is very robust. I just purchased an xpa-3 to start my Emotiva journey. The xpa-2 is in my future. Happy listening!

BigD

the xpa-2 and the xpa 3 is another good way to go as well for 5.1

thanks BigD

• Moderators

even though the power difference is only 50w between the center and the fronts you dont think the center will come up short or sound lacking?

Not at all. That's what your calibration is for. It will boost or reduce the levels to match them. Also remember, you have to DOUBLE the power to get a 3dB increase in volume. So you will never hear 50w difference between 200watts and 250watts.

even though the power difference is only 50w between the center and the fronts you dont think the center will come up short or sound lacking?

Not at all. That's what your calibration is for. It will boost or reduce the levels to match them. Also remember, you have to DOUBLE the power to get a 3dB increase in volume. So you will never hear 50w difference between 200watts and 250watts.

i kinda over looked the calibration part of that question. my fault. <===== newbee haha

• Moderators

No problem BC. Ask all the questions you want. That's how you learn.

BTW, my first sub was a Velodyne CT-100 (10" with 100 watt amp), then upgraded to the Velodyne F1500 (15" with 250 watt amp), and now own the Velodyne HGS15 (15" with 1250 watt amp). Love the Velos. My guess is that eventually you will want to upgrade your sub. Look for them used, lots of great deals out there.

BC,

Welcome to the forum. We all tend to learn and still make mistakes, too, from time to time as well.

How do you like the Emotiva products? Are you thinking about using the Pre amp and Amps from Emotiva also?

I saw your Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH has:

• Amplifier Output Details

110 Watt - 8 Ohm - THD 0.09 % - 7 channel(s) ( Surround )

That is a great start for sure.. The Elite products are very nice too.

Most will say for HT you might need 200 WPC + for headroom, dynamics, and especially in a mid to bigger sized rooms when you want it loud too.

That said, It looks as though your on the right track! Congrats!!

No problem BC. Ask all the questions you want. That's how you learn.

BTW, my first sub was a Velodyne CT-100 (10" with 100 watt amp), then upgraded to the Velodyne F1500 (15" with 250 watt amp), and now own the Velodyne HGS15 (15" with 1250 watt amp). Love the Velos. My guess is that eventually you will want to upgrade your sub. Look for them used, lots of great deals out there.

nice sub! im sure that HGS15 hits like king kong on steroids. i am looking at upgrading my CT-12 soon. i havent head any of there newer 12' models though.

BC,

Welcome to the forum. We all tend to learn and still make mistakes, too, from time to time as well.

How do you like the Emotiva products? Are you thinking about using the Pre amp and Amps from Emotiva also?

I saw your Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH has:

• Amplifier Output Details

110 Watt - 8 Ohm - THD 0.09 % - 7 channel(s) ( Surround )

That is a great start for sure.. The Elite products are very nice too.

Most will say for HT you might need 200 WPC + for headroom, dynamics, and especially in a mid to bigger sized rooms when you want it loud too.

That said, It looks as though your on the right track! Congrats!!

ive been tryin to do as much research on emotiva as i can before i make my purchase. all the research ive done has made me confident that emotiva will perform as expected. i kinda wish they made a 7 channel amp that pushed 200wpc. that would be ideal for what i want. all the other good amps that ive looked at with 200wpc x7 are soo expensive when compared to the xpa 5 and 2 configuration. at the moment emotiva seems like the best way to go. as for a pre amp, i havent been lookin all that much for one yet. the usp-1 will prob be in my future though.

HI BC.

I answered your message and then found this thread. Sounds like everyone kind of echoed my thoughts and more.

As far as a 7 channel 200wpc amp from Emo they did make one:

http://emotiva.com/mps1.html

As much as the upgrade bug hits us all I'm sure you can find one out there somewhere. One nice thing about a 7 channel amp vs the other options you've mentioned is only having one 70lbs beast to deal with instead of two! Shelf space seems to always be at a premium to start with and Emo amps are not small.

Let us know what you end up getting!

• Moderators

all the research ive done has made me confident that emotiva will perform as expected.

Great thing about Emo is that they have a 30 day money back guarantee. If you don't like it or it doesn't meet your expectations, ship it back to them.

Another option I've seen a few guys on here and elsewhere do is use a XPA-3 for the fronts and center and use your receiver to power the rear 4 channels.

But if you think you'll ever go to a pre/pro you might be better going a different route.

the order is in! i called emotiva today and ordered the XPA-5 in hopes that 200wpc will suffice. but if it doesnt.......then ill wait for their new flaghship to come out, the tentatively named XPR-7. with 400wpc x 7, this thing is truely a beast and should be more that enough for a long time to come. its possible that the new amp will be ready before years end! so we'll see......