Ported Heresy Project.

Guest David H

I ported a set. I wish I had the proper measuring equipment to provide a chart, but I don't, so this review is almost worthless.

What I used was a JBL 2213H, which is the high watt brother to the JBL123A found in the JBL L100a speaker. The cabinet size 23.5 X 14.25 X 13.625 is very close to that of a Heresey 23.81 X 15.5 X 13.25 so I felt comfortable that it would probably work. I also used equivalent sized port that came out of the JBL L100...you can find these often on Ebay as well.

My Klipsch K-22's were blown when I bought the speakers, so I was unable to do an A/B check. At first I let the JBL run wild as in the JBL L100, but later rebuilt the Klipsch crossover and that's the way I'm running them now. It does have some bass to it, but as I said, I don't have anything to compare it to, other than my La Scalas and there isn't any comparison between those two. Yeah, I know the Heresey, may dig a little deeper, but then there's nothing left to compare.

You can get a set of the JBL 123's on ebay for $100, so why not try them out? You can always resell them. Just cut another piece of plywood that you can port in case you want to go back to the original.

Or you could build the Tangents...

Good luck

I forgot to add these links

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Thiele%20Small%20Parameters/Theile%20Parameters.pdf

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Owner%27s%20Manual/L100om.pdf

it is- the K22 and K24 just don't have the excursion to be able to operate in a ported cabinet at any real volume. Just won't work.

Porting actually lowers excursion in the passband. Add a simple highpass filter to control excursion below tuning and you'll have a speaker that plays lower and louder...

• 2 weeks later...

After much deliberation between DBB or single driver, I chose the later, because I want to keep these somewhat portable, and use them in the shop... I mean the garage. The DBB is a little big, it would require near 8cu ft volume.

Attached is a pic of the horns and drivers I plan on using for this project. Left to right Modified Fastrac Cornwall, K-24-K, APT-150 attacehed to a K-94-k Tractrix lens, K-53-K modified for attachment to a Fastrac horn. The driver layout on the board is just a guestimate for an Idea how it will look.

post-24405-13819500056878_thumb.jpg

Seems like I didnt get much done on these today, but I did make progress, I built the pair of horns, cut the tweeter openings and managed to fine time to build a pair of stands.

post-24405-13819500064038_thumb.jpg

My goal here is to keep the drivers as close together as possible.

The Fastrac horn chosen for this project is a 410hz Fc. I intend set the crossover at 600-700hz. I am documenting all of the info if anyone is iterested in building these. This project is so easy to build.

post-24405-13819500066118_thumb.jpg

Thanks JC, I am pleased with it so far. I made a few changes because I want to try this with all Heresy parts except the mid horns. Groomslakearea51 hooked me up with 2 full sets of HII drivers and one pair of like new crossover for an excellent $$$.

These should be called the WAF#1, because my lady loves their appearance and size, hope they don't sound like Bose. LOL

Guest David H

Got the speakers assembled and painted today, they turned out nice. My plan was to build them pro-audio style, but they went together no nicely it was a shame to cover them up.

post-24405-13819500148218_thumb.jpg