Ported Heresy Project.

Guest David H

Guest David H

I ran som comparison tests last night between the originall crossover and my DIY crossover. Used smoothing to make it easy to identify the changes. The Green line is the stock H2 crossover.

Looks like I may have benefited from a 3rd order on the tweeter, I might make some additional changes, however it sounds much better.

post-24405-13819511516152_thumb.jpg

For what it's worth, I would expect to see the same magnitude of change between measurements simply by moving the mic or speaker a few inches. For example, why would the highend of the tweeter rolloff change between measurements? You didn't add a lowpass to the tweeter did you?

Btw, which microphone did you end up using from your measurements thread? Did you ever get the phantom power to your ECM microphone?

Guest David H

For what it's worth, I would expect to see the same magnitude of change between measurements simply by moving the mic or speaker a few inches. For example, why would the highend of the tweeter rolloff change between measurements? You didn't add a lowpass to the tweeter did you?

Btw, which microphone did you end up using from your measurements thread? Did you ever get the phantom power to your ECM microphone?

I agree, but they are also 2 different speakers. Left and right, I was also a bit perplexed about the bass. Whatever it is worth, the speaker sounds much better with the new crossover.

I am not using the behringer, because in order to use it I have to get out the Ultracurve to power the mic. I am using a standard mic, for portable use.

As I stated before these curves are just to get me close, they are nowhere near perfect, these are done on an Ipod touch in my garage with power tools benches, air compressor tool box and shelving units, and I have a metal roll up garage door. These curves are for general use only, and this project is just for fun.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from a trip over to Gothover's place today, and am blown away by these ported Heresy's. I cant believe it was built with Heresy guts.

Fist of all the bass is phenominal, fast and accurate, the mids and top end are as sweet as my Cornscalas, in fact these sound near identical to my Cornscala's with half the footprint.

This in not a Heresy or a Tangent, this is an all new hybrid, perhaps the Tangala or Herescala. The midhorn sets this speaker apart from the rest.

Dave, I cant believe these are in your shop!!!!!.....Craig.....

I remember A-B'ing a set of H's and a pair of K-Horns a long time ago, and I remember that if you volume compensate(turn the volume louder), the H's and the K-horns sound very similar, given that volume compensation....very similar, actually...in the big scheme of things, the H is an important speaker.

Guest David H

I heard Paul came over last night and was also blown away with the Big Horn Portesy. He said he thinks they may better his Scala's.

I dont hink I am being biased, I think your combo is that good. BTW, I updated my profile.

Yes Paul came over last night and I played a few cuts for him of his choice. Paul was definately impressed and would like to run an A/B against his Lascala's and the Cornscala's I just finished. Because our spouses are both out of town next sunday we may get together then and decide how the new Ported Heresy's or Portesy's as you called it actually compare. Are you in?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David H

Here are the plans for the Heresy project, I will post the crossover schematic next.

Huge thanks to DrWho for doing the box and port calculations. As shown I added about .25 cf for the larger horn.

post-24405-13819513241918_thumb.jpg

Im in, or at least I was last sunday. What happened to the updates and pictures? I guess ill start, the bass on the Portesy was far better than the Lascala. The Cornscala's bass was very similar to the Portesy but more bloated. I actually believe it was a toss up between the Portesy and the Cornscala.

Jill, Candee, and Lori, preferred the Portesy for its size.

• Like 1

Guest David H

CB, I posted the particulars on page 5.

The only issue with this speaker is that it uses drivers that are not readily available. However I was talking to Bob Crites about doing a pair of these with his new woofers, the selenium mid driver and the CT-125 tweeters. We shall see how that goes, but for those of you that have a box of H-II drivers laying around, this is a rewarding build.

BTW CB, how are the horns and crossovers coming?

Dave.

CB, I posted the particulars on page 5.

The only issue with this speaker is that it uses drivers that are not readily available. However I was talking to Bob Crites about doing a pair of these with his new woofers, the selenium mid driver and the CT-125 tweeters. We shall see how that goes, but for those of you that have a box of H-II drivers laying around, this is a rewarding build.

BTW CB, how are the horns and crossovers coming?

Dave.

I know a member who built a speaker from scratch in a Heresy sized dab using the above mentioned drivers (except used a K22 woofer) and the result was very good. I'd say it's pretty likely to be a winner in a larger cab.

Guest David H

I know a member who built a speaker from scratch in a Heresy sized dab using the above mentioned drivers (except used a K22 woofer) and the result was very good. I'd say it's pretty likely to be a winner in a larger cab.

Nice, thanks for the info, I will certainly post the results when I get to them.