Cleaning Components

dougdrake2

Hi all - I know some of you regularly blow the dust out of the inside of your electronics. What do you use for that? The cans of compressed air I've seen at the PC stores seem to have Freon in them, and it doesn't seem like that would be good to use on circuit boards, etc. (maybe ok on keyboards, but...).

TIA-

Doug

------------------

My System

I use compressed air in cans, I've had no troubles.

Just keep it a distance away from the unit you are

cleaning, don't blow directly on the circuits.

If you want to avoid that, use a brush(like a cosmetic brush), but make sure the brush is made with real hair and not plastic.

Plastic will create ESD, and ya don't want that.

Then you can(carefully) vacuum the dirt and dust that falls to the bottom of the unit.

I try to do this periodically.

This message has been edited by mike stehr on 03-03-2002 at 05:09 PM

I thought CFC based dusters were phased out long ago because of concerns about the ozone layer. Aren't most of the canned dusters now just compressed air?

Anyway, Freon should not hurt your circuit board. CFCs are used during manufacturing to clean circuit boards. Freon is also used to give a board a cold shock to make intermittent connections act up during trouble shooting.

I just use compressed air and a vacuum when I need to clean a dusty electronic component.

Any new products would be very unlikely to contain FREON; it is kind of a controlled substance.

It dissapates in gas form quite quickly when exposed to the atmosphere. It was used for cleaning automotive fuel injectors subsequent to their manufacure. I beleive its use in this process was discininued 6-8 years ago.

FREON IS GONE FOR ME AND YOU.

You need a licence to get Freon. Freon has been phased out for the last decade and is ONLY available commercially/industrially (NOT CompUSA, Radio Shack, etc.)

The big problem from canned compressed air is that an icy substance can squirt out and discolor plastic or possible damage electronics thenselves. Other than that, there OK. I use a real air compressor. 60 PSI all day long, the oil from lubricating the parts isn't an issue. Any real man should have a air compressor and air tools Smile.gif.

quote:

Originally posted by kenratboy:

FREON IS GONE FOR ME AND YOU.

The big problem from canned compressed air is that an icy substance can squirt out and discolor plastic or possible damage electronics thenselves. Other than that, there OK.

If you using compressed air can from Staples, Radio Shack etc. then just be sure to point the straw at an upwards angle (about 50 deg. or so) and give the can a quick burst in that position before you spray the components. This will help clear any liquid that is in the pick-up tube, valve assembly, straw etc...

------------------

Tom's Money Pit