Jub Cloners

Bigdnfay1

Hi All, I need some opinions. When I built my jubs several years ago, I mounted my woofers on a removable board to make installation easier(based on the way khorn woofers were mounted years ago). After looking at the pics from the factory build I decided to remove the board and mount the woofers directly to the motorboard. Here's my issue... During my build I didn't install T-Nuts(to hold the woofers) and I don't really want to use wood screws. I'm looking for some alternative ways to mount the woofers to the motorboard. After going thru Lowe's and Home Depot for inspiration, this is all I could come up with.

post-36461-13819500069038_thumb.jpg

Hi All, I need some opinions. When I built my jubs several years ago, I mounted my woofers on a removable board to make installation easier(based on the way khorn woofers were mounted years ago). After looking at the pics from the factory build I decided to remove the board and mount the woofers directly to the motorboard. Here's my issue... During my build I didn't install T-Nuts(to hold the woofers) and I don't really want to use wood screws. I'm looking for some alternative ways to mount the woofers to the motorboard. After going thru Lowe's and Home Depot for inspiration, this is all I could come up with.

What is the thickness of the motorboard (your removeable board)? I would leave it in personally. Klipsch uses two gaskets to provide "space" to prevent the woofer from bottoming out onto the baffle.

O/W, if you used plywood, you could screw right into the baffle. I've done it.

Are you still using the pioneers? I would switch to either Klipsch K31's if you can find them or even better yet.......Eminence Kappalite 3012 LF. I wish those woofers were available at the time I built my clones.....I no longer have them....

jc

jwc, the removable plate is 1 inch thick, one piece of 3/4 ply and a 1/4 ply to keep the woofer from bottoming out. i;m using k-31's that are from klf-30's. they came with the decorative plastic rings. i removed the rings and replaced them with a single gasket. i have ordered additional gaskets to have 2 layers. removing the plates will add some additional rear volume. i could use wood screws but i'm just worried they will loosen up over time.

Big D

Are you still using the pioneers? I would switch to either Klipsch K31's if you can find them or even better yet.......Eminence Kappalite 3012 LF. I wish those woofers were available at the time I built my clones.....I no longer have them....

jc

Well you know I gotta ask :) What makes the 3012's a better match? What could the improvements be? I couldn't imagine the LF getting much better so I am very curious.

jwc, the removable plate is 1 inch thick, one piece of 3/4 ply and a 1/4 ply to keep the woofer from bottoming out. i;m using k-31's that are from klf-30's. they came with the decorative plastic rings. i removed the rings and replaced them with a single gasket. i have ordered additional gaskets to have 2 layers. removing the plates will add some additional rear volume. i could use wood screws but i'm just worried they will loosen up over time.

Big D

I hear your concern....but I've gotten away with # 8 or #10 wood screws and lock washers. Always stayed tight. But if you could try what JJ suggested......that would be nicer. The 1" is definately too thick. Why not make another one that is just 1/2 inch thick? Just a thought...

jc

jc

Well you know I gotta ask :) What makes the 3012's a better match? What could the improvements be? I couldn't imagine the LF getting much better so I am very curious.

Neodymium and excursion to start with. The T/S line up as well as the K31.

BUT!!! You are using ESNALKJub nets........specific for K31's.

jc

jc

Neodymium and excursion to start with. The T/S line up as well as the K31.

BUT!!! You are using ESNALKJub nets........specific for K31's.

jc

I wasn't thinking of upgrading the LF. I have other fish to fry. The next thing I do to the LF will be a paint and veneer job from Dexter in Hope. The idea that the LF could sound even better with different drivers is something that hasn't really been explored. I'm still curious as to how this could improve sound quality.

You won't need to lock them in with any adhesive BigD. You use the suggested drill bit size for the insert and they go in TIGHT. Truly a perfect fastener for this application.

Just thought of something BigD. You won't be able to fit your drill into the woofer chamber with a drill guide attached so you will be drilling free hand and the holes really need to be as straight into the wood as possible for the correct installation and use of the inserts. Just something to be aware of.

It should have better large signal performance and very similar small signal (T/S params) behavior.

Large signal would include distortions related to excursion and thermal issues, which show up more and more as you go lower in frequency. You might see some differences in the inductance modulation as well, which would improve the HF response as well.

Those threaded inserts are pretty cool....what stops them from going all the way through? Just don't drill the hole all the way?