Veneer orientation question

jhoak

As I've posted a couple of time I'm in the process of restoring a pair of beater La Scalas. I've bought the veneer (red oak) and I've begun installing it. Obviously I'm running it vertically but what about the top of the bass bin? With three sides running up & down what do I do with the top of the bass bin?

Granted there will be VERY little of the top of the bass bin actually visable to anyone but just konwing that it's "wrong" is one of those goofy things that drives someone like me (yep... OCD...Big time) crazy.

So which way on the top veneer. Side to side or front to back?

Lay the grain in a continuous run up one side to the top then on down the other side.

Should the grain on the top run side-to-side or front-to-back? I'm not sure what it's supposed to be on the LaS's, but it's fron-to-back on K-horns. I couldn't find a clear pic of which way it's run in the past.

From a veneering perspective, the Khorn is obviously a different animal cabinet wise from the other models Larry. The top should be layed front to back because it has a vertical front panel. With no veneered sides, this is the only aesthetically correct way to veneer a Khorn imho. Not the case when you have two sides adjoining a top. Look at all of Greg's beautiful work on different models and you will see what I mean. La Scalas, Cornwalls and Belles are continuous grain side/top/side Khorns are matched front to top, grain same direction. This is how I do my refurbs/restores/new construction as well.

Again, just my .02

From side to side. That being said.... lay out the sheets and look. The oak's naturally an open grain and with any stain, etc. the pattern may be more pleasing to the eye if arrayed from top to bottom, then across the top side to side, and thus symmetrical. LS-BR's were front to back, but that was because they used raw birch panels.

The oak's naturally an open grain and with any stain, etc. the pattern may be more pleasing to the eye if arrayed from top to bottom, then across the top side to side, and thus symmetrical.

Purely MHO -- I am used to the bookmatched top of K-horns, so I suppose it should be bookmatched if run front to back.

I'm with Larry C. Of course the decision ultimately has to be based on what veneer you have and will be using, and the owner's personal taste.

I'll point out that my walnut Belle's are bookmatched on the sides of the bass bin with the "mirror" being vertical. The sides of the top hat are book matched vertical too. The walnut on the sides of the top hat is not as deep (front to back) as that sides of the bass section because the grill cloth wraps around for several inches. But the mirror is at the midpoint of the walnut area.

The top is bookmatched left to right. This is to say the mirror is along the axis of the midrange horn.

Any constructor will want to consider whether to follow the layout of the Belle. The top plate of the bass bin, the bottom plate of the top hat, and the top plate of the top hat have edge trim. This trim woud somewhat interupt the aesthetic of wrapping the grain from side to top to side, as Greg does on his beauties.

In the Belle, there is the wrap around grill too. Quite pretty overall.

Taking a look at all this book matching on the Belle, it is little wonder they cost almost as much as a K-Horn event though the interior construction is almost as simple as the LaScala.

Wm McD

• 2 weeks later...