KLF 30's with Tubes

SILVERSPIKE

You might not get the chest-thumping bass slam that KLF-30s are known for unless you go to high power SS, but in general tube amplification seems to be highly preferred over SS for horn-based speakers so I have to think it would sound pretty sweet.

You can always use your tube amp for the mid/high section and an SS amp for the woofers...

You can always use your tube amp for the mid/high section and an SS amp for the woofers...

Yeah.....put the tube amp on the highs and a 200+ watt amp on the lows and enjoy the best of both worlds with headroom galore. [Y]

SS,

I am currently running a tube pre with ss class A 15 wpc amp with KLF20's and for classic jazz the sound is incredible. I just recently added a Jolida JD302B tube integrated and have a few hours with it in the system and like what i am hearing so far. Big bottom but not quite as tight as with the ss amp, wide soundstage, great mids, and clear high ends. I would only expect good things from the KLF30's mated with tubes.

The system sounds great with the classic jazz and classical music. The rock and classic rock stuff takes a little getting used to, but i am coming around on it. The detail,clarity, and ability to isolate each individual instrument in the mix is a big bonus. This system probaby gets 10x more play time than my main all ss system these days.

Try it, you'll like it!![:D]

Mike

Knoxville, TN

What size room are we talking about?

In my room (15' W x 20'L x 8'H) my KLF-20's are more than enough with every tube amp I've run them with. I've run my KLF-20's with 2A3, 45, 300B, and 6AQ5. So, from as low as 1.5watts to 12watts and they sing as loud as I can take it.

I think 40watts in tube form is going to give you plenty of power and headroom to run it loud and have enough headroom to keep the bass strong and tight.

• Like 1

You might not get the chest-thumping bass slam that KLF-30s are known for unless you go to high power SS,

Maybe. Try an Audio Research VSi55 integrated tube amp. This little baby will curl your toes with it's bass punch...

Looks like a integrated version of a VRD knock off to me.

Should have significant bass weight.

;)