Cornwall III's!..............

Daughdrill

Well, nobody write to the guy to correct him. It will only open up the market.

These are a really nice pair and should be picked up by someone living nearby on this board.

I bet they'd be great for mobile ... He can refinish these instead of refurbing his black ones ... and the II's sound even better!

I had emailed the seller a couple of days ago and got a response from him yesterday.

Here is a parapraph from his reply to me:

"First of all, I was in error. These are Cornwall III speakers, not Cornwall II. I called the Klipsch factory, and they straightened me out on this one.

The difference is that the mid-range horn in the III series is mounted on a right to left horizontal axis, whereas the earlier series had the horn mounted on a top to bottom vertical axis. To be clear, the pair I'm offering for sale has the "horizonal" mid-range horn mounting."

Then a bit farther down in his reply:

"...Some time in 1993, the woofer on one of the speakers quit working. I contacted the Klipsch factory, and worked with a most helpful customer service representative named Hope. I thought that was rather amusing, talking with a person named Hope at a

company in Hope, Arkansas. But, I digress. Hope told me that they would be glad to send me a new woofer, but she advised that Klipsch was now using a

new woofer, which had significantly better low bass response in the 40 to 60 cycle range. Thus, I made the decision to change out both woofers. She also said that Klipsch had developed new and improved mid-range drivers (the actual unit that produces the sound which is screwed into the back of the mid-range horn). I also ordered two of these units and switched out the

original mid-range horn drivers."

The seller had added the Cornwall III designation after I received this email.

I just thought I would put this up here for everyone to read...

This message has been edited by edster00 on 03-05-2002 at 11:54 AM

Well, someone tipped him off ... there's a retraction/correction in place now.

Based on Ed's input, though, I'd DEFINITELY want to see pics of what's in there, networks, etc.

So if they're indeed Cornwall II's (v. 1.1???) with horizontal horns, what the hell is he smoking?

He's raising obfuscation to an art form Smile.gif

Yeay, it seems pretty silly that with all the talk about new drivers that a picture wasn't shown with the grill off.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

OK, he's piqued my interest ... so I just emailed him about the horizontal horns and their offset, and asking for interior photos, network series, etc. Will post if they arrived.

I also enjoy that "they'll go fast, so get your bid in soon!" There's 4 days to go, and no "Buy It Now" feature. Good stuff, huh Smile.gif

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

I emailed him this morning and got the generic form reply like everybody else. I then emailed him back and said thanks but you still didn't answer 4 of my questions. I told him I really want to see what's inside or he would lose a serious bidder. He replied back that he will get me the information tonight.

It seems to me that they were originall II's (vertical) but they got changed back to horizontals. Is that possible? BTW, when you have the vertical horns, do you lay the speakers sideways?

Thanks,

Mike

chris about not having a buy it now price. I have learned that it's usually best left up to the bidder to go as high as they wanna go without having a buy it now price. I use to contemplate putting them on items I sell but sometimes prices go through the roof so I'm glad I never use them. I recently got $30 for an electronics manual I bought for a nickel. I had no idea it was worth more than a few bucks. Same goes for a CD I also recently sold. Got over $25 and I didn't expect more than $4.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

Synth, I totally agree and have done all my auctions without the BIN option ...

I was just more amused with his selection of words as being self-contradicting ("won't last long ... get your bid in NOW! (like who knows how long the sale item will be around when no one can take it before the auction expires).

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Hello:

I'm really glad my mid-identification of the speakers I have for sale on E-Bay as Cornwall III's has given you guys such a laugh. Sorry I'm not as sophisticated on Klipsch speakers as yourselves.

I was led to the idea that these were non-existent Cornwall III's by an earlier inquiry which seemed to imply that Cornwall II's had vertically oriented mid-range horns. The units I have for sale have the horizontal mid-range horns. I erronously got the idea they were III's, but now know they are just late issue Cornwall II's.

Again, I'm ever so glad that I have been such a source of merriment for all of you. I hope you enjoy the laugh!

CruiseAuthor,

I certainly didn't intend my post to be funny, I hope you didn't take it as such. I posted some of your email to me to try to inform the forum members here what you were actually selling.

FWIW the Cornwall is probably the hardest speaker in the Klipsch line to identify properly since there were so many variations of it, ranging from orientation of the horns to different drivers etc., x-over networks etc. No one can be certain of what what they actually have for sure 'till they pull the back off and take a look at the components.

The original Cornwall was actually called Cornwall II as I understand the Cornwall genesis. The original Cornwall II had the vertical horns. I am sure someone will correct me here if I am wrong (I probably am).

Anyway, welcome to the board!

Your Cornwalls look very nice and don't be surprised if one of us ends up with them!

Aye, Cruise Author, ye be makin' your point... but there be more than heartless pirates here. Folks on this Forum are really quite friendly and helpful... but sometimes a few get carried away on the thrill of the chase... especially when two such fine Heritage speakers as yours are the quarry.

Stow your torpedoes and laugh with us at the frenzy vintage Cornwall's bring. Actually, you will find that we Forum members post our excess equipment for sale or trade... the deals are usually struck by private email, and there are no commissions to pay. Like most groups, people outside the group may catch a little more flack... but you and your avatar are here.

Sure would be good if you could let bygones be bygones and cruise on in. You can learn a lot about Klipsch... and maybe you can help us retain our sense of civility. How about telling us about your system and where you are headed with it. We are creeping up on 10,000 members... so the few you may have taken exception with... are very much a minority.

Personally, I was one of that silent majority that didn't laugh... but I guess I could have thrown my virtual body into the fray on the "no laughing matter" side. cwm41.gif HornEd

------------------

HORNED'S EIGHT THEATRICAL LEGENDS,

FIVE+ MUSICAL HERITAGES & A ROADIE...

SETTING THE "THEATER OF THE MIND" STAGE...

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

KLF C7's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

Twin SVS CS-Ultra SubTower, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Bass friendly, oversized, glove-leather LazyBoy Recliners

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

CHANNELING THE MUSIC EXPERIENCE FROM 2 TO 6!

'97 Klipschorn - Mains, '99 Klipsch Belle - Center

'83 Cornwall - Surrounds, '93 Academy - Rear Effects

Walnut w/ Cane Grilles. Final Amps, etc. undetermined

THE MOVEABLE (EAR) FEAST...

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome... an acoustics challenge

vandalized... but soon to be "On the Road Again!" Willie.

quote:

On Mar-05-02 at 07:42:25 PST, seller added the following information:

I'm embarrassed to say that I have now discovered there never were any Cornwall III's. These speakers are Cornwall II v1.1 . I sincerely apologize for all this confusion!

haha Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Hey Guys:

I was serious. I'm glad (and I mean it) that I gave everyone a good laugh. I'm a professional travel writer, and you simply can't be in this business long unless you can laugh at yourself!

As many of you have requested, I removed the back from the speaker unit and inspected (and photographed) the interior. The mid-range driver has three notations on it. At the top, we have the numbers 9.948. In the middle we have, K-52-K. On the bottom of the driver is a big R. A few of these figures were not clear, and hard to read, but I did my best. I have a photo of the rear of the mid-range driver (cornwallmdrange.jpg ). I don't know if I can attach it to this note, so anyone that wants to see this picure, and the photos specified below, just e-mail me at opcom@netpath.net, and I'll be glad to send them along.

The woofer has no designation on the magnet, but I was able to spot characters that looked like, 48 91 on the cone. The 1 in the number referred to here is very fat, so it might not be a 1. The photo of this unit is called cornwallwoofer.jpg

I also took the liberty of photographing the speakers general interior, cornwallint.jpg.

These speakers DID ARRIVE FROM THE FACTORY WITH THE MID-RANGE MOUNTED ON A HORIZONTAL AXIS. I did NOT remove the horn and re-orient it in this fashion. And, yes, I did buy the unit new from the now long defunct Soundhaus in Chapel Hill, North Carolina during late 1974 or early 1975.

I hope than answers all your questions. Be it known that I have certainly learned, much to my chagrin, that there is no such thing as a Cornwall III. Glad I was able to give everyone a few laughs, and I mean that

Claiborne Young

Watermark Publishing

opcom@netpath.net

http://www.CruisingGuide.com

CA- It was bound to happen, if not before. What you have seen here is strategic planning for klipsch buying, a glimpse if you will, into the sort of coordinated planning & effort required of a guerilla group(al-Qaida).cwm26.gif or SWAT teamcwm10.gif . Beware, they are professionals! All in all, quite harmless as far as I'm concerned. It really gets quite odd around here when Sony system owners start to "critique" cwm15.gif your postings, cwm13.gif LOL. I wouldn't blame you if you raised your BIN.

This message has been edited by SOUNDJUNKIE on 03-05-2002 at 08:28 PM