New to klipsch

StevePalmer

Hi my name is Steve Palmer, and I am new to Klipsch speakers and the forums. A friend of mine recommended Klipsch and now I am here asking for advice. I am currently building a new house and will have a 5.1 pre-wire set up in the family room when I move in. 3 pre-wires in the ceiling front, 2 in the ceiling back, and 1 sub-woofer pre wire coming out of wall in the corner of the room. I have done a little research and I like the round speakers for the ceiling as opposed to the rectangle ones. Now what my home builder was offering (which i declined) was the basic package consisting of 5 CDT-2650-C for the ceiling and RW-10D for the sub. The premium package had 5 CDT-3650-C and RW-12D. I plan on buying everything after closing and install them myself.

First was the home builder set up good, or should I have different speakers for the front and back or all the same? I really have no idea, and any advice would be appreciated.

Second is the setup from the basic to premium that much of a difference? And is it worth it to go up to premium? As well as the sub, will the upgrade of the sub be noticeable?

Third what do the experts recommend for the ceiling and the sub? I have a good amount of money for my setup but need to be reasonable in my purchases.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Welcome to the forum. Is there any way you can change from the ceiling speaker configuration? Watching a movie which is in front of you and then hearing dialog and surround channels coming from the ceiling is less than ideal. In-walls wouldn't be my first choice, but they'd be better than in ceilings.

I just like the cleanliness, not having speaker wires and having the speakers be somewhat hidden. I know so you see the speakers but the majority of the speaker mass is hidden inside the wall. I want to have something that will sound good for movies, but do no intend to go overboard. So what would be ideal? What is better, going the traditional route and having speakers placed on the shelf etc. Hopefully the pic attached works, it shows my family room.

post-39136-1381950088519_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Is there any way you can change from the ceiling speaker configuration? Watching a movie which is in front of you and then hearing dialog and surround channels coming from the ceiling is less than ideal. In-walls wouldn't be my first choice, but they'd be better than in ceilings.

Gotta agree...a friend of mine went with the in-ceiling option. they are still in the ceiling...but no longer used. Seems that this configuration involves some BIG compromises.

Sad to see that your builder already has the holes drilled out...............

Here is a thread from Professor Thump on His In Wall installation.............

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/97750/987575.aspx#987575

Is your TV and componets going to the left of the Fireplace ?????

if you don't want floor standing speakers, you could put shelves on the Far Left (by the arch) and right side of the Fireplace for Book shelf speakers...........

The hole in the ceiling is for a light to shine on the "art niche" above the fireplace and the other hole is a/c vent. There will be no holes in the ceiling, the wires are just hanging in limbo up in the ceiling. The holes on the bottom niche is for an outlet, cable outlet, 7.1 speaker surround sound plate, (5.1 in family, 2 for patio), and there will be one cover that has a tube going from the bottom to the top to have wires feed through if needed.

Yes the tv and components will go in the bottom left, the top left has been undecided at the moment.

I don't know the model numbers...it looks like you're going ahead with it.

Is it possible to bury the speakers inside the wall? I think Klipsch also has some in wall speakers. If you are focused on hiding them, perhaps some inwalls with them in front of you might sound better than in the ceiling?

I say this because my new neighbors have a relatively cost no object 10,000 sq/ft house. I was over and the wife very joyously said "ohhhh.... sit down and listen to our surround sound"

I sat and she turned it up.

Seems they had all their speakers (and therefore dialogue) in the ceiling, even though the TV was at eye level in front of me. It was a weird moment so I just sat there and smiled nodding my head as she went on about how great she thought it sounded.

I fear what lightbulb might go off in her head if/when she over comes over my way to hear some larger speakers.

So... on the side, I'm planning on moving everything down to the basement. My rear channels will be two speakers buried inside the closet that is under the stairs. I've already cut out openings that they'll slid in and play through. I might build a false screen for my front speakers. you see...my wife can not STAND to look at these type things. Doesn't bother me a bit... so I'm trying to get the best of both worlds. I want the killer sound that I love so much and am willing to do what I need to, to mitigate the visual impact as long as I can keep my stuff. (if something has to give, in my world it will be on the asthetics front, not the sonic front)

I'd check out the in wall speakers and simply get the top of their line. If you are 'stuck' to only go ceiling...then I'd do the same, get their best ones.

So IF I had to go with in ceiling, what would be a good set up?

Take a look at this for your front 3 speakers, your right, center and left.

These would be great for the rear channels. Or you can use the other ones as your rear channels also.

I believe these were setup in one of the rooms at the Pilgrimage 2 years ago, they sounded great for being in ceiling. Also if you can, like someone stated, try for in-wall ones for your front 3 speakers and in in-ceiling for your rear channels.

James

Thank you for everyone's input. I am going to try and avoid in-ceiling if i can help it. I know you guys know what you are talking about, and i do not want to put so much money into something if its not going to sound the absolute best it possibly can. I will not know for sure until I move in, and can go up int he attic to see if I can get the wiring down through the walls. This package looks good and is in my price range. http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rb-61-home-theater-system-overview/

Yes Alice does have a restaurant, and its called Alice Coopers Town, they have a a 2 foot long hot dog called the "big unit" after Randy Johnson, and when it comes out, a siren goes off, and everyone YELLS "BIG UNIT" good fun.