Cornwall II Help Needed!

drewb67

I thought about a cherry veneer with the updated grill cloth. Any ideas on where to get the new grill cloth material?

I have also noticed that many of the speakers I see pictures of have dampining materials inside the cabinet, mine has none. Is this correct for this vintage of Cornwall? Should I add some? I have also seen some posts where Dynamat was added to the casing of the horns, does this help? Should I add this as well?

Bob Crites sells the grill cloth for $28 per yard plus shipping. One yard should do.

Herb

Guest David H

I have also noticed that many of the speakers I see pictures of have dampining materials inside the cabinet, mine has none. Is this correct for this vintage of Cornwall? Should I add some? I have also seen some posts where Dynamat was added to the casing of the horns, does this help? Should I add this as well?

Acoustic dampening material is not a bad idea, most craft store sell blanket badding called Polyfil that works good for speaker applications. Dynamating the K-600 is going to have little to no effect on the sound, but won't hurt either. The K-400 on the other hand makes a noticeable difference even then I would use an off brand sound deadener rather than the pricey Dynamat,

Dave

• 5 months later...

I finally had a chance to setup the cornwalls and listen to them. Not good. The woofer on one is blown and neither of the high horns work. I'm hoping that rebuilding the crossovers will bring the horns back to life but I am conflicted as to whether or nott I should rebuild the w44e woofer or replace both of them with the correct woofers. Any advice?

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of getting back to the original woofer K-33 or K-34. The box is tuned for that driver and so is the crossover. Further, you have the original spec drivers which will add value if you decide to sell them down the road. So for about $150 or so for new horn parts and $150 - $250 for woofers plus your sweat equity on the cabinet you will end up with a solid investment.

Right now I am trying to decide what direction to go in regards to the look of the cabinets and grill. One idea is to mimic the newer Klipsch speakers with a gloss black paint job or black ash veneer and update the grill cloth with what the newer speakers use.

I've ordered some of the below grill cloth to go with a pair of Cornwalls I had a professional paint. They have a piano gloss finish so deep and glossy you'd swear you were looking into a mirror. Just throwing out a idea. This is old Vox guitar amp grill cloth.

post-35949-13819583125752_thumb.jpg

Right now I am trying to decide what direction to go in regards to the look of the cabinets and grill. One idea is to mimic the newer Klipsch speakers with a gloss black paint job or black ash veneer and update the grill cloth with what the newer speakers use.

I've ordered some of the below grill cloth to go with a pair of Cornwalls I had a professional paint. They have a piano gloss finish so deep and glossy you'd swear you were looking into a mirror. Just throwing out a idea. This is old Vox guitar amp grill cloth.

WOW ! that's gonna look Nice !

Post some Pix will Ya ?

I'm in the process of doing up 7 grills ==> 4 CornScala's & 3 CS-1 Heresy mods , I could only do the mods with WAF if she chose the Grill Cloth it's a silver /grey with a blue pin stripe..she hated the black grills for years when they were Cornwalls I'll post Pix when i'm done

Looks nice !

Just FYI, my C2's had the same stock crossover's in them as yours, but not that woofer, no damping material and the same front to rear brace. Didn't seem to build all these C2's the same, should have called them Cracker Jacks.[:P]

Just FYI, my C2's had the same stock crossover's in them as yours, but not that woofer, no damping material and the same front to rear brace. Didn't seem to build all these C2's the same, should have called them Cracker Jacks.Stick out tongue

My Cornwall 2's "came stock" with Crites Titanium Diapraghms in the Tweeters [:D]

Just FYI, my C2's had the same stock crossover's in them as yours, but not that woofer, no damping material and the same front to rear brace. Didn't seem to build all these C2's the same, should have called them Cracker Jacks.Stick out tongue

My Cornwall 2's "came stock" with Crites Titanium Diapraghms in the Tweeters Big Smile

Well, my C2's have removable backs on them.[:P]lol