PC question on popups

Coytee

At my mothers place right now, in Atlanta. Messing around on her PC (Vista machine)

Keep getting popups even though they are turned off. They are more like interactive commercials than I've seen before. I don't get popups at home so this is mystifying me. Currently, they have come from:

Shopwiz (speakers...and I'm on the Klipsch site)

Shopwiz again (multiple popups over time)

Toseeka (bank america, charge cards)

Tooseeka again (same as above)

Inside tools, popup blocker is turned on so I would expect these to NOT exist, yet here they are.

Anyone know how to kill these? (other than simple Vista bashing!!)

Hey Rich, why don't you drop by on the way home, see my new project. Popups, I just ot a new computer with Vista, do not have any problems. Mine came with the free upgrade to Windows 7, maybe that can cure the problem or you got something turned off that should be on.

They are pestsky little devils.

CigarBum

Hmm... how far are you from Oxford GA? (my next destination to see my sisters & father)

On the local question... I turned on advanced for cookies and disallowed 3'rd party cookies. Hoping that was the issue (that I forgot to turn that off initially)

We'll see

hmmmm.... Bob...what are you cooking....

Inside tools, popup blocker is turned on so I would expect these to NOT exist, yet here they are.

Anyone know how to kill these? (other than simple Vista bashing!!)

Sounds like your mother's computer got infected with some type of "adware". You will need to download and install something like Ad-Aware or SpyBot and run it and see what it finds. Hopefully, these tools will take care of it, but the problem is the clowns writting this kind of adware crap are getting more savy and try to anticipate that somebody will run a tool like that.

Also, if you knew about when these pop-ups started to appear, it may be possible to run the system restore and try to restore the computer back to when before this started to all occur.

I hate Vista- and computers in general. However I have not had any problems with popups- 2 month old Dell Laptop. I do not get them except a couple from Norton ,Dell, and some microsoft stuff. I got them all of the time with my old machine with XP.

Hi Richard- hope all is well with you and your family.

They are right it sounds infected. Malwarebytes is worth the price. It takes a long time to do a thorough scan but it is great. Perhaps start with spybot or adware or the other free ones mentioned since they are free. I've seen some really bad infections lately. Good luck I know it is frusterating.

In the business enviroment Vista is very poor and 7 is looking about the same. For speed and stability downgrade to XP Pro. This might be the last good Windows OS for years to come. We are in the process of going to virtualization via critrix due to the uncertainty of the Windows OS roadmap. Basically we will make the OS less important this way. I'll be buying XP Pro off of ebay for as long as I can.