Red or Black

CIGARBUM

Yep, if you were connecting a battery, red is + and black is -

BUT

when you are wiring speakers, each end needs to be the same regardless of what color it is. All the speakers should be the same. The signal to the speakers is AC not DC so what you are really doing is making sure that things stay in phase, that is all the speaker cones are sucking and blowing together. If you get one sucking and one blowing, you will in effect cancel out each other, not completley but enough to really mess up the sound.

You could use pink and blue wire if you like, the color does not matter..... all the same does.

I agree with Oblio and Cal B.

One aspect of following the convention is that somone else coming in at a later date will have this information, and will be assuming that the convention is followed.

That other person may be you! It is easy to say "I'll remember." But that is not always the case. That is why I alway recommend marking speaker feed wires, if necessary, with nail polish (red and black) this works well on white zip cord..

RCA feed wires can and should be marked with tabs of masking tape with "feed from CD" or the like. It helps when you're trying to figure out a rats nest of connectors in the not too well lit areas behind the equipment.

It is a simple fact that your "smart person" on day 1 has to make it easy on your "stupid person" who will be looking at it on day 365.

Smile,

Wm McD

Electrical tape is available in various colours, so I've got my speaker cables taped at each end with red for Right and black for Left, and two of the XLR interconnects from the Dx38 also have white for Bass. Taping both ends avoids any need for guessing at either end if you disconnect more than one cable or interconnect at the same time.

The speaker cables themselves have two different colours of insulation, blue and clear for woofer cables, smoke and clear for the tweeter cables, so no markers needed there.