NON-VINTAGE, warm-textured ss amp for Cornwall III???

KMV

Pass Labs. I couldn't find their dealers locations online (I guess the are undergoing some changes or something, IDK). But yea, I'd definitely like to give them a try based on the reviewes I've read (whenever their dealer location webpage is finished I guess)

• Like 1

Class D amplifiers (sometimes wrongly called digital amplifiers) have a reputation for sounding incredibly tube like. Two of the most highly regarded of these come from Red Wine Audio (which are battery powered) and Nu-Force Audio, these may be worth auditioning fi you're after a tube like sound.

I guess the essence of Class D amps consists of switching the input signal to PWM (whether it be analog or digital). Thus, a Class D amp would probably more appropriately be classified as digital (regardless of the input signal being switched). But who cares, digital... analog... paper... plastic... it's the sound that matters. Since all my sources are digital (CD Player, DVD, etc), a Class D Digital amp would be more appropriate for me? This way, rather than going through two phases of DAC (i.e. CD player AND Class D amp), it'll only occur once.

I'm think maybe the new NAD M2 Direct Digital Amp might be nice?

• Like 1

I have not heard one, but people who's ears I trust have said good things about the portal panache. You will not find a dealer as they only sell on line. They do offer an in home trial however. Although they do not comeout and say it, itis common knowlege that the panache was designed by Nelsen Pass.

portalaudio.com

Josh

I have recently built a pair of Cornscalas, which have similar bass characteristics as the Cornwalls. I currently have an Adcom 454II amplifier with a passive preamplifier. I found a good match that gives a more relaxed high end is to use a carbon based potentiometers for the attenuation with a solid state amp. Various brands of potentiometer from Alps to Radio Shack giver different tonal qualities. My Alps based passive gives a laid back hight end, but keeps the bass tight. With the cheaper RS based passive, I loose some bass tightness, but an ever more laid back high end.

Good luck on your search for amp nirvana! You will love the Cornwalls.

How 'bout a Sansui AU-9900, fully restored, mint condition, new caps, full service adjusted, etc.... Serious ss and will make a tube amp owner question their "faith"..... I just so happen to have one.... just sitting around.... not doing anything.... shiny.... lot's of serious knobs.... Just waiting for a new home.....

Courtesy of The Hypno-Toad Subliminal Message Service!

How 'bout a Sansui AU-9900, fully restored, mint condition, new caps, full service adjusted, etc.... Serious ss and will make a tube amp owner question their "faith"..... I just so happen to have one.... just sitting around.... not doing anything.... shiny.... lot's of serious knobs.... Just waiting for a new home.....

The sansui would be a sweet set up. I had my cornwalls over at a friends house and we hooked them up to a mcintosh tube preamp and ss mcintosh mono blocks...closet thing to my tube amp I have heard. I also really like my old advent 300 it has a nice warm sound.

Sweet; If you are anywhere close by, I'm definitely down for auditioning them.
  • Like 1

KMV,

I have a vintage Harmon Kardon 430 twin powered unit that you could check out if you'd like. There are a few guys here that dig the combo.

El cheapo and sounds very good.

SWL,

Yea, I definitely heard that older Harmon Kardons were pretty nice (not sure about the new ones though). If you're not to far away, I'd like to give them a try as well.

• Like 1

I have recently built a pair of Cornscalas, which have similar bass characteristics as the Cornwalls. I currently have an Adcom 454II amplifier with a passive preamplifier. I found a good match that gives a more relaxed high end is to use a carbon based potentiometers for the attenuation with a solid state amp. Various brands of potentiometer from Alps to Radio Shack giver different tonal qualities. My Alps based passive gives a laid back hight end, but keeps the bass tight. With the cheaper RS based passive, I loose some bass tightness, but an ever more laid back high end.

Wow, Cornscalas? Got the best of both worlds; I can only imagine how good that sounds, Congrats! Passive pre's never crossed my mind, I'll have to check them out. I heard that B&K's are pretty nice (on the warm side). I'm thinking a decent laid back passive pre (carbon-based - still want tight bass) with B&K 125.2 or 200.2?

• Like 1

Wow, Cornscalas? Got the best of both worlds; I can only imagine how good that sounds, Congrats! Passive pre's never crossed my mind, I'll have to check them out. I heard that B&K's are pretty nice (on the warm side). I'm thinking a decent laid back passive pre (carbon-based - still want tight bass) with B&K 125.2 or 200.2?

Probably not the 200.2, since even the 125.2 would be plenty for the Cornwalls.

• Like 1

Simply Stereo is a great place. I ordered my RF-83 setup thru them, one place is closer to me but SS is a lot more friendly and very helpful.

So back to your Cornwalls and the perfect addition to them. Check out my profile as I have a Marantz, Yamaha, and H/K receivers from the 70's that I love with my vertical Corns, and a Mac setup.

If you would like to try one or two out just let me know and I can load them up and take over. It's always nice to meet up with fellow members, plus Schaumburg is about an hour away.

James

KMV...I used to live up in your vicinity...you might want to check out Audio Consultants...they have 4 locations in the Chicagoland area and usually a good selecction of used equiptment. They are most helpful, a great company and they warranty their used stuff. They will ship between stores and let you audition with pretty much any combo they have. Great guys...I have bought a DAC, CD Player and some speakers from them and have zero bad comments about them. ACE

B&K pairs great with Klipsch. The ST-125.2 (now badged as Reference 125.2) is more than sufficient & you can pick them up dirt cheap on epay - don't worry about buying used, they're pretty much bullet proof.

As you can see from my sig. line, I'm a B&K fan. BIG step up from my previous Carver based system.

James