OT: Arkansas put cheese dip on the map!

Daddy Dee

Steve,

Small world bro. PH Elementry and Ridge Road. Definitely a much simpler time.

Northeast High School class of '73.

When I noticed your username some time back, I thought, no way that could be Steve Hollowell who lived around the corner on Goshen. I'm Dee from around the corner. My folks moved to Skyline Drive in '65 after living over there behind PH School from my earliest memories. I ran in to Johnny O at a meeting last year.

Dee........what a hoot........I live about a block from John and I am married to his niece, Michelle. John had mentioned seeing you and Mary Ann Ghee last year at a church meeting.

I trust all is well with you and yours, by the way to move back toward the subject matter Rotel and Velvetta rule!!!!!!!!

Steve

Living in SoCal, I've eaten a lot of Mexican food (OK Cal-Mex). Anyway, I've never seen any cheese dip on any menu out here. Most of my neighbors speak Spanish as a first language, they are not too big on cheese dip. Liquid cheese in a can sounds very much gringo to me. Yo no tango queso! (I have no cheese.)

Thanx, Russ

Living in SoCal, I've eaten a lot of Mexican food (OK Cal-Mex). Anyway, I've never seen any cheese dip on any menu out here. Most of my neighbors speak Spanish as a first language, they are not too big on cheese dip. Liquid cheese in a can sounds very much gringo to me. Yo no tango queso! (I have no cheese.)

Thanx, Russ

I never thought of cheese dip being so regional lol. It isn't something I order when I go out. I have friends that are cheese dip fiends. They are very particular as to who has the best. Liquid cheese in a can isn't exactly right. It is real cheese or at least the good cheese dips have real cheese. When I do order cheese dip it is at a TexArkMex restauraunt. The cheese dip I prefer has cilantro, jalapenos, chorizo, and white cheese. If the avacado's are fresh just give me a bowl of fresh avacodos, cilantro, pico de gallo, and jalapenos.

My young nephew likes to make what he calls white trash stoner dip.

4 12oz cream cheese

2 or 3 cans hot rotel

a couple chopped fresh jalapenos

heat it up melt it down chill it in the fridge

Russ.... people eat and enjoy what is most familiar...and although i mentioned velvetta cheese dip, a white cheese dip is also good....I work for Frito Lay and even if I do not care for it , we sell tons of cheese dip in a can in several different types.......I guess the market decides if a product is acceptable.

I have been told by many that fish tacos are great....I will never know because I like my fish deep fried and not wrapped in a tortilla.....once again having never been exposed to fish tacos the idea just does not turn me on.....

Tex-Mex and any southern style is probably as far from true Mex as I could imagine.......but so the world turns............

Steve (very much a gringo) Hollowell .........Have a Blessed Day!

Steve,

Yes, fish tacos from a street vendor in Ensenada are very good. I've been to Mexico a few times and even the food in Mexico is tailored to the touristas. All food ends up being regional. I'm sure someone in Mexico is serving cheese dip somewhere but it's not very common out here in SoCal. Where I live (in the Mojave desert) you would have no problem only speaking Spanish, we have a vast population of first and second generation Mexicans. I'm from the east coast and never even saw a taco until I moved here but good Mexican food of all types (American and authentic) is easy to find. Darn, now I wish I had some cheese dip!

Thanx, Russ

Russ.......I talked to a good friend about the availability of fish tacos in Central Arkansas(he has been to the west coast quite often). He swears I would appreciate the experience, the only tacos readily available are seasoned ground beef or a shredded beef..... my new quest is a search for the allusive fish taco......Cheese dip flows like water.....fish tacos on the other hand is a real quest!!!!!!!!

Take care.........Steve

I've tried tha local attempts at Fish Tacos and they are all pathetic. A couple years ago I had Fish Tacos for the first time in San Francisco. It was run by a Hawaian family. This wasn't something I expected to like but they were soooo gooooood and addictive.