RSW-15 for HT application as well as 2CH?

Rudy81

I am curious how the RSW-15 owners feel about their HT application with an RSW-15. I have read the RSW-15 is perfect for 2 channel listening. I am wondering about your impressions of this sub's performance in a HT.

I currently use an SVS 20-39 PC+ for both 2CH and HT. I have been searching for better 2CH performance and am looking at the RSW-15. But....I don't want to have any huge performance gaps in the HT arena.

Well, this will be interesting. I just picked up a supposed NIB black RSW-15 on eBay. BIN price was $1200. I offered $820 and they took it. I just hope I didn't make an expensive mistake. I have been thinking I wanted a tighter, more musical sub to pair with my Khorns for music listening. It will be interesting to compare the subs in my room.

For $820 you will be very happy as long as the sub is in good condition. The RSW-15 is rock solid down to 25 Hz and drops like a rock below 19 Hz. Dual subs will give better coverage in most rooms and make setup easier for even coverage.

The idea that we need subs to go into the subsonic levels below 20 Hz is counterproductive. Better sub 20 Hz output reduces output in audible bass output. Buttkickers are better at sub 20 Hz output IMO.

Bill

I certainly expect it to be in NEW condition since it was advertised as New In Box, Factory Sealed. I have checked out the seller and he seems like a reputable seller with a storefront as well.

If all turns out as I expect, I will also be able to take room ETF measurements and compare performance between the two subs. One of them will end up for sale.

Pictures to follow when it comes in.

Your going to LOVE your RSW-15! A couple years ago I regrettably sold my RSW-15 ($800) and ordered a new svs pb13-ultra. After reading all the great review, I just had to see what I was missing. It's a great sub, but I don't think it was worth the extra $700. I honestly think it was more of a lateral change than an upgrade. You got a great deal, trust me!! Make sure you report back after you set it up:)

I will certainly report back once I get it. I have wanted one for a long time and jumped at the opportunity. Like so many other things in this hobby, I had never really auditioned one in a good room. So, I have wanted one simply because of its reputation as a top notch music performer. Now, I just have to worry about UPS not destroying it enroute.

I have 3 Corns across the front with a RSW15 and love it. Music is number 1 for me and the RSW 15 blends well. I cross the fronts at 40hz, Yes that is low, but they are Corns and I don't need the boost till then. My room has bass traps and Sonex on the rooms walls so you may need to cross higher. I find on older recordings the will not be on at a 40hz cross over, but newer recordings it will be. You just need to see where your system falls off on the lows. I love the RSW 15 but a second one is always better so I may look for one some day.

I have 3 Corns across the front with a RSW15 and love it. Music is number 1 for me and the RSW 15 blends well. I cross the fronts at 40hz, Yes that is low, but they are Corns and I don't need the boost till then. My room has bass traps and Sonex on the rooms walls so you may need to cross higher. I find on older recordings the will not be on at a 40hz cross over, but newer recordings it will be. You just need to see where your system falls off on the lows. I love the RSW 15 but a second one is always better so I may look for one some day.

Good to hear! I have my room extensively treated as well and it is fairly flat. I also use my pre/pro Audysey to correct the remaining issues. I'm all for a good explosion here and there, but would rather have an accurate sub for music and slightly less impact on the explosion. I can't wait to compare the two subs.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished setting up the RSW-15. This was a good buy. It was in fact brand new, never opened. This thing is MINT. I set it up and ran some ETF readings of its performance vs. my SVS once I had found a good location for the sub. Basically, it was the same location I was using for the SVS. I'm not sure why folks complain about the low freq. rolloff on the RSW. Unless I'm doing something wrong taking my readings, this thing is very flat across the required spectrum. Granted, I have extensively treated my room for bass problems, but did not expect this nice a result. I am currently running my Audyssey calibration in the entire system to set it for the new sub. What little music I listened to at the start was very tight, very refined, very natural and a little less boomy than my SVS. Exactly what I wanted for my 2.1 ch. listening.

Below, the red line is the SVS 20-39 PC+. The blue line is the new RSW-15

post-10337-13819512503628_thumb.jpg

Thank you. I have finished the Audyssey calibration and am now doing a basic listening session with my favorites that have deep bass. WOW! This sub is fantastic for music. I am listening to Dark Side of the Moon, "Breathe" and the heartbeats are rocking the house. Thus far I am thrilled to have taken the chance on this sub. Perfect match for the Khorns and La Scala! I will try it out with some Blu Ray movies in due time, however my main focus was a better music match for my system. The RSW is tight and precise, at least when compared to my SVS. Not that the SVS was a slouch, but it lacked a little finesse in the music department. Thanks for the encouragement guys.