chorus II questions

I have a pair of Chorus II speakers that were purchased in 1995. I used them and cared for them during college but since 1999 they have not been used or oiled. Will these speakers be OK after sitting around for 3 years? Also, will they be able to stand up to a Mark Levinson 383 Integrated Amplifier? The amp is rated at 100W continuous @ 8 ohms......thanks

Can't speak to the finish, because my C2's are the black ash finish, which requires only occasional dusting. Assuming you've kept them in a dry location and at normal humidity, I see no reason why they shouldn't function properly. Now if you've left them out in the hot desert sun for three years, that might be a different story. You may want to check/inspect the the woofer and passive radiator just to make sure everything appears intact and is still pliable.

As for your ML amp, you'll be damaged more than the speakers if you ever run the amp at full throttle. I run my C2's with a 250 WPC Carver TFM 35x, and rarely pump more than a few watts into them before the room fills with sweet sound. Remember, they are rated at 101 dB sensitivity. As long as you don't drive the amp into clipping you should be just fine, and trust me, you'll never have to with the C2's.

Enjoy them...they are great speakers!

C

------------------

My System

I'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about regarding the speakers.

I've brought some speakers out of "mothballs" (much longer than what you're talking about) and they work just fine. One might wonder whether the non metal materials in the voice coil could deterioriate, making them more prone to failure. Apparently this is not an issue.

We have people on the forum here running speakers which date to the '60s.

With the amp issue, I agree with the other posters. It is mostly a matter of prudence.

Gil

I have 400 watts per channel available to my 22 year old Belle's with all original drivers. As previously stated I seldom require more than a few watts. I just enjoy the headroom. Chorus II's must have a very sweet low end as compared to my Belle Klipsch, since they utilize a 15" forward firing driver coupled to a rear firing 15" drone. I compensate with a sub for each one. It's a shame they did not use an 18" drone instead.

------------------

Living Room

Sony KP-43T70 43" Television

Denon AVR 3300 A/V Receiver

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (LF/ALF/RF/ARF) (Belle's - Oak Clear/Cane) & LWE-I's w/Motion Feedback (Mahogany)

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (RR/ARR/LR/ALR) (Heresy II's (Walnut/Cane) & Infinity SM82 (Walnut)

DBX MPA-150 Mono Split Spectrum Amplifier © (KV-4 - Black)

Klipsch KSW-15 Powered Subwoofer (2)

Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD/LCD/CD Player

Nakamichi MB-10 Music Bank CD Changer

Pioneer CT-S88R Cassette Deck

Technics SL-DL5 DD Linear Tracking Turntable

JVC HR-S7500U SVHS Video Cassette Recorder

RCA DRD-303RA Satellite Receiver

VC3 Deluxe Video Clarifier

DBX 400XG Program Route Selector

DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Electronic Crossover

DBX 3BX-DS 3-Band Dynamic Range Controller (2) 1-L, 1-R

DBX 14/10 14-Band Computerized Equalizer/RTA Analyzer/SPL Meter

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Sega Dreamcast w/3 Controllers & VMU's/S-Video Output

Bedroom

Yamaha RX-900U Receiver

Panasonic DVD-A120U DVD/CD Player

Sony SLV-740HF Hi-Fi VCR

BBE Audio Recovery System

DBX 200X Program Route Selector

A/D/S L300E Mini Speakers (Eggshell)

GE 20" Television

hi Frzninvt,

can you explain more why 18" drone is better than 15". i have a pair of chorus ii's as well and never really understood the difference between passive radiators vs. ports. especially positioning ... can i put the chorus ii's closer to the back wall than let's say a KLF-20 since it's vented in the back?

thanks,

butch

I have another question to tag on to Butch's questions. Is it my imagination, speaker placement, or something else? When I listen to front ported speakers, ie. Cornwalls, CF4's, or even KG5.5's, the bass is rich/fuller, more audible than when listening to rear ported speakers. My Cornwalls sound deeper than my KLF30's. The 30's were about 18-24" away from the rear wall and the CW's were sitting directly on the rear wall. I have experimented with the depth of the 30's, but never achieved that full bass the Cornwalls deliver. I even had a pair of KG5.5's that went as low as the 30's, and although they are an inch deeper than the 30's, the overall volume was no comparison to the 30's nor were the 10" drivers.