Jubilee audition Chicago?

artto

I always liked the look of the original Jub. That mid/treble Rosewood (or whatever it is) horn looks so cool

For the record, I'd suggest that we all like that version too...but let me ask you this question.... (and I'll admit I don't know the pricing today of the pretty version so I'm referencing the black/industrial version)

Would you rather spend maybe $15/20K on the "original" beautiful Jubilee that you liked the look of or perhaps spend $7K on the black industrial version and have $8/13,000 still in your pocket to finance having it creatively refinished.

So, let get things straight. The 402 is the big tractrix used in the pro cinema Jubilee and a few other models?

Yes, kinda!

I do think it is important to also point out that the K402 and K510 are modified tractrix designs in which Roy has found ways to increase the performance of what would be a standard tractrix designs performance. Some might also be surprised to know that Roy has also stated that he would use what ever shape(ie:tractrix, exponetial, conical...whatever) and would quickly switch if it would result in an improvement in what he believes to be important parameters in a horn's design.

The 403 is the one shown in the original Jubilee pictures with PWK and PWK + Roy?

Yes

And the 510 is the smaller horn like that used on the KPT 435 & 335?

Yes and it's also what is used on the 3-way Jubilee cinema system as the tweeter with the K69A driver. The cinema system is 3-way with a different midrange driver and the K510/K69-A for ultimate SPL but since that kind of SPL wasn't necessary for home use Roy could take advantage of 2-way operation by using the K510 or K402 with a K69-A driver for the HF section for a home Jubilee system.

I looked into using the large horn with the Khorns but I guess it’s not a good match because the Khorns don’t go high enough, but I notice the Jubilee Cinema crosses over at 400Hz, the same as my older Khorns. Maybe it’s just a crossover slope issue?

This might be possible if steep slope crossovers were used at least for the HF section.

Those of you who have followed my posts and thread over the years are aware of how “tight” the integration between my speakers and room acoustics are. The Jubilee bottom doesn’t “spec” as low as a Khorn. And I know that the way I have Khorns installed I’m getting better than “spec” low-end. I’d rather keep it that way and use the new larger mid/treble horn with the Khorns if I can, that would be ideal, especially if the Jub bottom isn’t going to provide any better performance in my room. I’m also considering a Bag End D18E-AD sub under the Belle, but no hurry here either. That probably won’t be needed unless/until I add a HT projector and LED projectors are relatively new & $$$ so that ain’t gonna happen for a while as well.

Hey artto from what I understand of your install I would agree that you are probably getting the maximum performance from the Khorn's LF which is very..very.. impressive when this happens!

One note, I helped a friend install the AK-4 network(My understanding is it has some correcting EQ-ing and steeper slopes that tightens the frequency response of the LF and I suspect this also lowers the distortion somewhat of the LF Horn which IMO gave an increase in perceivable clarity and impact that brought it closer to the performance of the Jub's LF.

My experience is the Jubilee goes every bit as low(and significantly lower if a small PEQ boost is used at 32Hz) as the Khorn's I used to own. One note, EQ-ing the Jubilee's at 32Hz works so well because of the larger throat area IMO versus trying this with the Khorn LF and it's smaller throat area.

I believe alot of people overlook the real difference IMO between the Khorn and Jubilee LF is the much lower distortion which I believe and Roy has indicated also for the perceptable increase of impact and clarity when doing a direct comparison between the Khorn and Jub.

The Logic, Performance Testing and ultimately IMO the Listening Experience all support the Jubilee design as a more accurate reproducer which if thats a persons desire and withen their means is well worth considering.

mike tn

Mike, I forgot about the panels. That is even cooler. Swap out panels for a completely different look and feel.

I have both Khorns and Jubilees so I can listen to both systems. I love both. I would say the Jubilees bass is more authoritive. In my rooms they are very close in low end performance. There is a LF boost you can add to the Jubilee LF that really has it digging much lower than khorn. Mike hit the nail on the head. The lower distortion just makes them soooo clean.