seeking La Scalas

twu

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm considering buying La Scalas for my HT room but I'm afraid it's too small. 9' w x 19' l x 9' h.

I'm currently using Monitor Audio GS10, they sound great but I've always felt like something is missing. I don't quite know how to describe it. I feel like the music is just there and I'm just listening but not feeling anything. It's like you're with someone and youlre having a great time hanging out but you don't have butterflies and you're heart's not pounding when you're with the person.

I've never heard La Scalas but from what I've read, it sounds like that's what I'm looking for. If my room is too small, I may have to try Magnepans or something as I've read similar descriptions from those who own them.

There is no comparison between the Monitor Audio GS 10 and a Klipsch LaScala. The monito Audio is a 61/2" bookshelf. The LaScalas are 15" three way horn loaded speakers that will provide you with a tremendous aural and tactile sensation when listening to music or movies. I don't thinkk your room would be a problem except for the physical size of the LaScalas. In addition the LaScalas can do all of that with as little as 3 Watts RMS. Now the Magnepans are again a different type of speaker system from the Monitor Audio or the Klipsch. The Magies ar very inefficient (take a lot of power to get loud). They will provide a large sound stage but not the tactile sensation like the Klipsch, in my opinion.

Now of course this is a biased opinion from someone who owns LaScalas on a Klipsch forum. The best thing to do is try to find someone or place to listen to the LaScalas.

If you want music to sound like music get a pair of Klipsch speakers.

Hope this is helpful.

welcome were you from like biglaz said try and here some of the differences in the speakers you are looking at I have corns and heresies I use my heresies in 12x15 room and they sound great I love my corns for music right now on vinyl Pink Floyds dark side of the moon. , there might be someone in your area that would let you audition. Good luck on the quest.

duder

Maggies will be tough match for your room. You will have to pull them about 6 feet from the back wall, about 4 feet from the side walls and find the perfect seating spot and toe-in. They will also require quite a bit of power. What equipment are you going to drive the new speakers with?

Thanx, Russ

Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciate it. Right now I'm using a Marantz SR 7001 receiver. I've been farily happy with it for HT use. If my AVR doesn't work well, I'm willing to get a SET amp or quality solid state amp with low distortion to drive them. I live in Seattle so if anyone owns La Scalas or Cornwalls near the area and willing to let me audition, that would be great. Hard to believe but I couldn't find a dealer that had them. I'm looking for a used pair, are there any big differences in terms of their sound from the newer models?

Also, my first priority is 2 channel music but I will also use them for movies. I would assuming a two channel setup with La Scalas or cornwalls would work fine?

Thanks again and sorry for the newbie quesitons.

• 2 weeks later...

twu,

LaScalas are big. Look at my profile to see how they compare in size.

They are, beyond a reasonable doubt, one of the finest availbe loudspeakers for the home at any price.

That being said, Sonically, I have never reached their upper limit to how loud they play. For music they have everything covered. They won't let you down in movies either. It's just that modern movies contain extreme low frequency information- which warrants a dedicated subwoofer to take advantage of what the media presents. ( I got a little crazy with the whole horn loaded and sub idea.. Hindsight, I'd get a pair of some top level subs from JL Audio, SVS, Seaton Sound, Danley, Epik, Element Designs, Velodyne, or Paradigm)

Depending on your patience, you can look for used ones.

I am sure someone here will alert the others should a pair come up for sale.

Now, buying used, you find a pair that are not in good shape, you can test your patience and refurbish them (pay some one or do it yourself).

Buying new, well, that is a treat! Egads, $6000! Might aswell order some custom veneer while your at it, you won't be dissappointed.

_Bill

twu,

A few years back.. I was so determined to get a pair of Lascalas that bought a book, off ebay, on how to build your own clones of Klipschorns, Belles, LaScalas, and Heresys. Infact it contained plans for Altec Voice of the Theaters, Jensen Imperials (Wall, Corner and Freestanding) and EV Patricians.

It was very clear about what was needed and had 95% solution to what each speaker needed in Raw materials.. For a novice woodworker like me Heresys were the only one I could atempt on my own to create. BUT if you found plans and a good cabinet maker/ woodworker/ or home builder they should be able to reproduce a fairly good copy of the cabinets for a lot less than retail of a authentic new pair. Also, there is a great thread about Heresys here and shows you everything that you need to make your own... and I am willing to venture that there is a Lascala resource too..That may shorten your wait.

There some on eBay as we type.. they are ugly.. but you can make them better. do a search.

Lastly, if you want something, buy it. You'll never be happy until you get what you want. Find all the Heritage dealers, spend some time with them over phone or in the showroom.. you may end up with a better deal the $6000 a pair. This is your Music we're talking about.

-Bill

You live in Washington right ? Seems to me that there is allot of Klipsch around your area . My first pair of Belles came from Tacoma and I have seen many notices on this forum for other sales there . Heck , you want LaScalas put an add on Craigslist or whatever and you'll be rockin some Heritage in no time . Used of course .

Yes, I live in Washington and willing to drive to any of the bordering states and Canada.

I pair popped up on Craigslist last night. I contacted the seller for info. He says the price is firm. I think it's on the high side. What do you guys think?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/ele/1494025153.html

Price is too high and your room looks to be too small.

Look into other Heritage with will fit your room better. You have a narrow deep room, so you can sit 5 feet from the back wall and have the speakers 4 or 5 feet from the front wall and still be a decent distance from the speakers, but you will only be able to have the speakers about 5 or 6 feet apart. If you go wider, you should add something to absorb sound on the walls.

Look at Heresys, Quartet, Forte, Chorus and Cornwalls. (Cornwalls may be a little big, Forte are probably perfect.

Well..after today, I may end up getting ProMedias. My wife goes out and picks up a Gucci bag for about the same price as the the asking price without blinking and here I am mulling over for weeks whether I should pay a few hundred more for them. Sheesh..

I really have my heart set on La Scalas though, I realize my current room is on the small side and it's not permanant, I'll make room for them eventually.

The way I look at it, if your house is too small for your family, you find a bigger place. As with La Scala, they will be part of the family so I'll find a larger room later. I'm pretty sure this has been asked many times but what are some good amps at 1 or 2 watts output that is under $500?

Craigs (NOSValves) VRD tube monoblocks are well thought of. They make well over 1 watt though. :) Point is, the first few watts need to be clean. There's lots of choices here including vintage integrateds. My LS sound good with a fixed up and rebuilt EICO HF-81 and a Scott 222-C

Craigs stuff is nice.

Oops, see www.nosvalves.com

I think that is a very fair price. They look almost identical to my 1979 La Scala's and I paid $1100 for them, from the origianl owner. His ad says "Electronics are perfect". If the crossovers are original, they will need to be updated or replaced. I paid $300 for new crossovers HERE!

I say go for those if they are still available and welcome to the forum.

I know what it's like to want La Scala's! [:P] You need to scratch that itch!! [;)]

Dennie