Is 90 watts per channel enough?

iTide

I have a 606 in my garage,when hooked to Klipsch sb3 I thought I needed more power.I scored a mint set of old Kenwood speakers from the 70's,six drivers,15" woofers.The 606 sounds fantastic on these speakers(against all logic and everything I believe).The point is,the 607 should be plenty but with Klipsch reference the more the better.

Just curious what it is that you dont like about the Denon 2807? Is the Onkyo for a second system?

Well I am just tinkering around with the idea of trading for the Onkyo for more HDMI ports. The Denon only has two and I was thinking it would make wiring a little easier. What do you think? Is it worth trading for more and up to date HDMI ports? After selling the 2807 and buying the Onkyo I would be out maybe 150.00. Is it worth the money? I really don't know. Within 2 months I will be running a cable box, game system, apple tv, and blu ray player. The tv has 3 hdmi ports. I am open to any feedback. Thanks

90 watts is enough.

but for every doubling of power, you raise the output by 3 dB.

So, take the rate sensitivity of your speakers (and what ever frequency they are rated at, ie 90dB@1Khz@1w..) and add the power factor of the amp. you'll get the theoretical output of your speakers. You'll lose a whole lot in power compression, just like your car transmission sucks power from the engine before it gets to the wheel..

so use this chart as a rough guide, given a 90dB/w/m sensitive speaker.

1 watt= 90db

2 w = 93 dB = +3 dB

4w = 96 dB = +6 dB

8w = 99 dB = +9 dB

16w= 102 dB = +12 dB

32w= 105db = +15 dB

64w= 108dB= +19 dB

128w= 112dB= +21dB

256w= 115dB= +24 dB

So at 64 watts of power you will achieve the reference level 1m away.

Power loss is about the same in respect to distance.. so every doubling of distance you lose output at the same exponetial rate

Therefor if you are 4 meters from your speakers, you'll only get 102 dB from 64 watts.. and we've not calculated losses due to temp, pressure, and driver..

Still, with all this audio theory, it should show you that given a highly sensitive speaker, Klipschorn 105 dB/w/m, you get thunderous output with such low power amplifiers.. Imange 200watts into a Klipschorn, we're talking easy 125dB at listen position if you crank it.. amazing and they were sold over 50 years ago..

so if I bored you enough or made your head hurt, my fault. and if I messed something up please correct me.

90 watts is plenty.

-Bill

Thanks guys, I will be sitting 10 -12 feet from the speakers. So seems i might not be going wrong with 90w but what about the HDMI? Is it worth it to upgrade just for the additional ports?

I guess it is really up to you but I just added 4 ports with a switch box that is RC. I can choose between any of the 4 ports with a click of a button from across the room and not adjust anything. I only need one more port but three extras came with the deal, well I guess two extras did as I had to use one of my ports to run the switch box on. It cost less than $50 and for me it was the right choice in adding ports. Heck, the AVR I am using on this system doesn't even have HDMI ports on it, the TV does but I am able to switch to digital coax output for the audio on my devices so that is what is run to the AVR.

There are lots of ways to go, you can add a switch or replace your AVR.......... what do YOU want to do?