Besides Emotiva, other pre-amp/power amp combos?

wuzzzer

Any other brands to consider as far as a pre-amp/power amp combo? I'm looking at about $1000 maximum for both pieces combined. The pre-amp must have HDMI with the ability to handle multi-channel PCM. Looking at a 5-7 channel amp.

Do you think that a dedicated pre-amp would be better than using my Marantz receiver as a pre-amp?

Wuzzzer,

I think your choices are slim pickens for $1000.00 and under with HDMI. Get the amp, try it out with your Marantz and go from there. Take a look at this. You could sell the preamp if you have no use for it. I have no affiliation with ad.

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?prea51ch&1263401660

Bill

The Marantz MM-9000 amps are very nice. I've owned a couple over the years. Check your speaker impedence though. They don't like 4 ohm speakers at all and will go into some kind of crazy oscillation at high volumes. Well at least the last one I had did. I ended up selling it and the new owner has never experienced the problem.

Can I ask why Emotiva is eliminated from the options? I just got 3 pieces of Emotiva kit for my 2-channel system and I'm VERY impressed with all of it.

Can I ask why Emotiva is eliminated from the options? I just got 3 pieces of Emotiva kit for my 2-channel system and I'm VERY impressed with all of it.

I'm not eliminating Emotiva, just wondering if there are other options to consider.

No,there are no other options(under 1k) even for just a prepro with the umc capability.I'll be gettin' mine in a week or so as I've already given up cc info last week with a 2 week estimated time from then.The sweetest part is it's only gonna be $420(is that a great number or what?)as I am a current 1st generation buyer.

To me it's a no brainer,buy a prepro then get the next generation a 40% off,I know of no other company that offers such a generous offer,and you keep the old unit,too good.I wish Klipsch had such a sweet deal............

Of course there will be other great units but Emotiva IS the competion and sets the standard of what should be.There's also lots of great deals on older units,BK,Rotel,Outlaw etc.....just no hdmi which is the shiznit.

• Moderators

To me it's a no brainer,buy a prepro then get the next generation a 40% off,I know of no other company that offers such a generous offer,and you keep the old unit,too good.I wish Klipsch had such a sweet deal............

I knew about the upgrade price but didn't know you got to keep the old one. That is sweet! You could always sell the old one and bring the cost down even further. Is that just on their pre/pros or other equipment?