Good Price for La Scalas ????????????

Ocnorb

The answer is an unqualified "That depends!" [:P]

I was very happy to pay $850US for near mint 84 LS-BL Designer with cane grills, and the seller threw in the glass tops that had been on them since new. That was in a much stronger market two or three years,but it was also in the suburbs west of Boston where there's fairly high market saturation of Klipsch products.

In addition to functional and cosmetic condition, price comparison must factor in market saturation, relative strength of CDN versus US dollar, etc. If LS of any form are rare as hens teeth in BC but common as the plague on the US side of the border, then dollar-dollar strength, shipping, AND import tarrifs all play...

I paid $1100 for my 1979 La Scala's, 3 years ago. I then spent $300 on new crossovers and with a $1400 investment, I don't think you can find comparable speakers for 3 times as much.

So, I guess it depends on, what are they worth to you? For that price, I don't think you can do much better.

Just my opinion and good luck in your search,

Dennie

If they are local and you are able to pick them up yourself and of course in good condition..then Yes...It took me forever to find a pair within driving distance and in nice shape, but well worth the peace of mind. Also finding them in our neck of the woods is a challenge.

Anything above $1000, better be in great condition or have something special about them.

Oldenough is right, Vintage Klipsch, with the exception of Heresy's are harder to find in Canada, Pro or Industrial, even more difficult and some split LS in a natural finish has proved impossible.

You will have to decide if that's the right price and brace yourself for when your neighbor has a better set for sale for less, the day after.lol

Was wondering if you think $1100 CDN is a good price for 1985 La Scalas

The pics I have seen look good but no idea yet about the drivers or xover.

thanks

Jim

Curiosity got the best of me, so I had to find out how much $1100 CDN was.

Here are the results:

1,100.00 CAD

=

1,042.64 USD

Canada Dollars
United States Dollars
1 CAD = 0.947851 USD

1 USD = 1.05502 CAD

So then, I guess the question is......what is the condition of the speakers?

I think that even if they are in original condition and not abused, it would be tough to find a pair of speakers that have the potential of the La Scala's for this price. Add the cost of new capacitors or crossovers and it is still a very fair price, especially if they are hard to come by up north.

Dennie

IMHO, you are not gonna find a better speaker for $1000, period! Check out what they want for the La Scala II and then decide. When all is said and done, I will have about $1600 into my 79 LS-BR's with new crossovers, tweeters and mid drivers courtesy of Bob and Michael Crites. Mine are not going anywhere, OK maybe to my oldest son in 30 years!

Ocnorb...How about a pair of 77 La Scalas (LS-BR), AA crossovers, New diaphrams No dings or missing veneer, Consecutive # Nice square corners and straight edges. Within 80 km of you....$1000.

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll take two! [:P]

Dennie

Jim, my needs have changed, as will the size of my music listening area. The speakers are in great overall shape. Consec#, AA crossovers, new diaphrams, I replaced them just for the hell of it No issues. I think for 32 year old speakers they are in great shape. $1000 maybe getting near the top of the price range, but I remember the beat-up ones that I looked at before finding these. I have not re-capped the crossovers, but there is no sign of any leakage, and I have not been convinced they require it.

John

Jim, my needs have changed, as will the size of my music listening area. The speakers are in great overall shape. Consec#, AA crossovers, new diaphrams, I replaced them just for the hell of it No issues. I think for 32 year old speakers they are in great shape. $1000 maybe getting near the top of the price range, but I remember the beat-up ones that I looked at before finding these. I have not re-capped the crossovers, but there is no sign of any leakage, and I have not been convinced they require it.

John

That sounds like a very fair deal!

Dennie