Possible Vinyl Find What To Offer

Pete H

I'm going to make her an offer and see where it goes. The pictures were only a small portion of what's there in 78's and a thousand or so albums. I'm going to have to break down and get a heavy duty cleaning machine, which brings up a question about cleaning the 78's, since I've never owned one, is there anything special I need to know about handling them?

Gotcha! Down the slippery slope... [6]

A few drops of Ivory liquid and a soft cloth taking care not to damage the labels. Rinse with distilled and you are good. Or you can use your kitchen discwasher... [:P]

As to handling just be very aware that they will not take much pressure before breaking. Try to avoid handling more than a six inch stack or so at once.

If it is about the music for you, you will find MAGIC in those old discs in a way you cannot get it from any other media. It's a direct connection to the artist. In the case of acoustic discs, a very direct connection indeed. What you have with an acoustic record is the musical equivalent of having a carbon copy of an F. Scott Fitzgerald novel...the grooves were made directly by the muscians work.

Dave

I have a big collection of these old 78's that I have been caring for for the last 40+ years... I never have listened to them as I dont have the mechanism to do so

Form what I gather they were my great grand fathers, because there are some old edison Cylinders with some fairly Racist titles in there to. but most of them ate Duke, arte and blues/country based artists. I need a websited with more researchable info. does anyone have a source they would like to share?

Sounds like you have some rarities there. You should look around for a TT, cart, and preamp to listen to them. As I described below it's hardly a college fund raid. Actually, you can use your existing phono preamp but earlier stuff won't sound it's best.

Dave

What Dave said 78's are very delicate. I was cleaning some recently aquired 78's and broke a Tito Puente [:'(] I was/am very very sad.

I like 78's and would like to happen upon an old old diverse collection like this.

Next year I'm wanting to take a couple days and cruise around the arkansas mississippi delta looking for antique stores with 78's laying around. If I'm ever going to find any blues 78's that is the place it is going to happen. Now how am I going to talk the GF into it :)

Sounds like you have some rarities there. You should look around for a TT, cart, and preamp to listen to them. As I described below it's hardly a college fund raid. Actually, you can use your existing phono preamp but earlier stuff won't sound it's best.

Dave

I'm currently running my turntable through a Sansui 8080, but that all for now. As soon as I wrap the deal up, I will start looking for the turntable and anything else I need. It will take a while to just go through and organize a complete list of what is actually there.

Dave

I'm currently running my turntable through a Sansui 8080, but that all for now. As soon as I wrap the deal up, I will start looking for the turntable and anything else I need. It will take a while to just go through and organize a complete list of what is actually there.

Actually, I was replying to Schu there...but it applies to you as well!

Dave

I clean 78s with a mild solution of ammonia, learned this from old time collectors. Not to be used on vinyl however.

Too bad about that Tito Puente 78, was it a Tico or an RCA? (or other?) With great music, almost all , but not all 78s! were reissued during the LP era, and then again to CD. Admittedly the 78s sound great. More speed=more fidelity, generally (depending on your playback system). You can tell which 78s became obscure if they did not make it to the first generation of 10" LPs (also a great collectible when it comes to TP).

When there is a hairline crack but the record is still whole, I have (and other collectors as well) put a little super glue on the edge to keep that crack from opening further. This has to do with preserving very rare recordings, best to transfer to other media for archive, especially if it is a super rare one not likely to ever be replaced. Super rare for me would be obscure Cuban Son from the 20s not on known reissues anywhere, that and some similar Arsenio Rodriguez (also Cuban), music which contains important musicological revelations, eg. certain rhythmic patterns or instruments utilized before anyone thought. For every worthwhile obscure type of 78 record there exist some agressive and dedicated collector, I have seen prices go to 4 figures for some things. Rare early blues of course is the other similar area.

c7s

I clean 78s with a mild solution of ammonia, learned this from old time collectors. Not to be used on vinyl however.

Too bad about that Tito Puente 78, was it a Tico or an RCA? (or other?) With great music, almost all , but not all 78s! were reissued during the LP era, and then again to CD. Admittedly the 78s sound great. More speed=more fidelity, generally (depending on your playback system). You can tell which 78s became obscure if they did not make it to the first generation of 10" LPs (also a great collectible when it comes to TP).

When there is a hairline crack but the record is still whole, I have (and other collectors as well) put a little super glue on the edge to keep that crack from opening further. This has to do with preserving very rare recordings, best to transfer to other media for archive, especially if it is a super rare one not likely to ever be replaced. Super rare for me would be obscure Cuban Son from the 20s not on known reissues anywhere, that and some similar Arsenio Rodriguez (also Cuban), music which contains important musicological revelations, eg. certain rhythmic patterns or instruments utilized before anyone thought. For every worthwhile obscure type of 78 record there exist some agressive and dedicated collector, I have seen prices go to 4 figures for some things. Rare early blues of course is the other similar area.

c7s

I believe it was Tico label. In that batch of 78's I bought I got some Thermin music by Les Baxter and some Perez Prado. I also got some 78s labelled novalty which I can't pass up ever. Didn't recognize any of the names though.

I'm nearing completion of my Garrard 301 project which has 78 speed. I just need another headshell and cart for my Jelco 12 inch arm. My 10 layer birch plinth should be delivered before the end of the year. Here is a pic of my temporary plinth setup. I'm getting really excited.

IMG_2491.JPG

Seti,

How do you like the Jelco 12" arm?

I have a Sumiko MMT which is slightly longer than the Jelco 750.

I am putting together a project with an old Empire 208 that I just bought and was going to use an extra SME IV that I have, but have been considering a longer arm like the Jelco 12".

I was skeptical at first but I wanted to try the extra length and it wasn't that much extra. The tonearm solved lots of problems for me. Before the 12inch I could hardly walk across the room without skipping. I also had some lps which would just skip at certain parts and this was on two other turntables a thorens and onkyo. This is a belt and direct drive with 9 inch arms. I am now a HUGE fan of 12 inch tonearms. The jelco is a tremendous bang for the buck. The quality is very high.

IMG_2489.JPG

I recently picked up a 12 inch Jelco for use on a Thorens 124. I have in the past had an audioquest arm that was actually made by Jelco, as are The Sumiko arms. I agree they are very well built and are an excellent value. Havent got the TT set up yet but plan to use a ZU 103R which by all evidence should be a very good fit with the high mass Jelco.

Josh

It's tough figuring out a price on 78 albums. Some antique/flea market dealers see them as useless and may sell them by the box -fulls for $25.

I picked up a pristine complete original Porgy and Bess album with playbill-style insert this past weekend for $15. My rule of thumb is to pay a $25 max for an album (generally 4 records) in good condition. Generally I pay less than $5.

I play 78s on a Garrard 4HF with original tonearm. It has speed control, which comes in handy.