Tube preamp recommendations?

kevinmi

I'm wanting to replace my McIntosh C-39 SS pre with a tube pre to drive my Latino ST120 tube amp. right now I'm looking at used Rogue Audio, Cary, ARC, Conrad-Johnson, etc. Anybody got suggestions/recommendations? I would also like to have a tube phono stage and remote. I might go with a seperate phono stage, so I would like advice on a good tube phono preamp as well. Also-I'm willing to trade my McIntosh C-39 and 2125 amp for tube stuff if anyone is interested. Thanks, Kevin

That listing is actually for the JM Tercel, the phono stage, not the Merlin. Great phono stage however. I have tried a number of tube preamps - Cary( cant remember the number off hand), Macintosh c-22,and others. For the money you would be hard pressed to beat the Merlin ( if you canfind one) or the Peach (again if yo can find one) for a line stage. The Tercel phono is nice. If you find a blueberry You would get the phono included.

I have been playing back and forth with my Wright wpp100 phono and the phono in the BBX. Both are really good but with the cartidge I am currently using I think I prefer the Wright. But not by a huge margin.

Again for the dough, any of Juicy Music's preamps have to be considered a "very best Buy"

Josh

If you are in Flint Michigan there is a guy pretty close to you that knows a thing or two about tubes and amps. He may be able to help you out.

He also has a nice pair of monoblocks based on the Dynaco Mark III's that he may let you listen to along with his Blueberry preamp. He ain't too bad with old Scott equipment neither.

That listing is actually for the JM Tercel, the phono stage, not the Merlin. Great phono stage however. I have tried a number of tube preamps - Cary( cant remember the number off hand), Macintosh c-22,and others. For the money you would be hard pressed to beat the Merlin ( if you canfind one) or the Peach (again if yo can find one) for a line stage. The Tercel phono is nice. If you find a blueberry You would get the phono included.

I have been playing back and forth with my Wright wpp100 phono and the phono in the BBX. Both are really good but with the cartidge I am currently using I think I prefer the Wright. But not by a huge margin.

Again for the dough, any of Juicy Music's preamps have to be considered a "very best Buy"

Josh

If you read carefully, jhoak prefaced the link with "add", meaning just add the tercel to the merlin, and you're good to go.