What is The Beeesttt Sub???

dtximages

There are TWO

The Aerial Acoustics SW12 and the JBL Ti-K sub.

The Aerial is like the SVS Ultra in power and deep bass capabilities plus has a cabinet the SVS would dream about if it could at all dream.The Aerial uses a massive 12" custom driver with a ultra long throw aluminium cone.The amp plate is unlike any other amp plate you8 will find on lesser subs,its a true 400W RMS wonder with all the inputs any sick audiophile like me could ever ask for.

A pipe organ dream come true,matches like no other.The bird's eye maple is drop dead gorgeous.Best finished high performance sub,did I say it can really bet out lows like very few?

Those are real world subs,not any fancy dream world $80000 HSU sub that was never built,never existed and nobody has any pics of(just some murky fake UFO pics).

Now the Ti-K,the punch of a heavyweight with speed to make you dizzy.A monster in performance both quality(bass is tight,never loose or undefined)its SPL can be explosive down to 20Hz!This sub can generate monster output to knock all 18" units I heard out cold.While not as extended as the Aerial or SVS Ultra this sub is ideal for those who value definition and impact over all else.One sub can hit very close to 120dB around 30Hz!Put two in any room and feel the JBL Ti-K fury,two units smash the so called reference SPL(121dB).I want this sub and will get one this year,MUST HAVE MUST HAVE

By no means these two are the most expensive,the Aerial SW12 is $6000 and the JBL Ti-K is $5000.Bragains of the high end world,with HUGE PERFORMANCE(both quality and output).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

The best direct-radiating sub I've heard is the Servo-Drive Contrabass. 2 15" cones driven by a rotary electric motor by means of a driveshaft. Makes huge cone excursions without the distortion inherant in long-stroking dynamic drivers. Prosound gear but used by many hi-fi people, a bargain at about $2000, you supply the amp and active crossover. Amp must work well into low-impedence load, use a good prosound amp like a Crown. Best horn sub is the Servo-Drive BassTech 7. www.servodrive.com

Tom,

I was quoted $3000 without amp back in December, still a bargain. I inquired about price and availability after you suggested they would match LaScalas and got a very informative e-mail back. They seem like they are very easy to work with, I just wish I had a spare $3k.

I have never heard one, but from an engineering point of view the concept makes perfect sense.

------------------

Jim

1979 La Scala's

SF-2 Mains

SF-1 Center (pair)

RS-3 Surrounds

RC-3 Rear Center

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever

Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player

Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

jtkinney---Well I was only a grand off:-) The horn system that I heard with Contrabasses was using a pair of them, the rig was Tom Danley's (Servo-Drive's designer) Unity horn rig. Maybe you could rent a ContraBass from a prosound outfit and give it a try. There are lots of CBs used up in Vegas, maybe used ones are available there.

Real world...

One SVS Ultra with Samson 1000 amp and Paradigm X30 crossover and cables.

One Velodyne HGS15

One Sunfire Signature(tiny but MONSTER sub bass)

Or my choice for the most bass at a low price,two SVS CS-Plus and a Samson 1000 amp and a Paradigm X30 crossover.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hey EARs,

Whats a paradigm x30 crossover for. As you know I am looking to purchase a decent sub to increase the low bass in my new RF-7 system.

With these SVS CS plus subs, am I going to have to but the amp, as well as the subs? I have looked over the SVS web site.

Yes with say the SVS CS-Plus get the Samson 1000 power amp and also the Paradigm X30 crossover box.

The X30 box works great with any sub with no built in crossover.I used the X30 with borrowed SVS Ultras and my now sold Carver TFM-75 power amp.Great combination.

The SVS CS-Plus should be a great buy,BIG output and quality to boot.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Real world and REAL BIG......my dual Tempest Sonosub.

Finally started construction on it today. 28"x53" sonotube...makes an SVS look like a baby. Should be capable of 110+ spl at 14hz, and easily 125+ spl from 20hz on up. I'll post pics and SPL readings when complete. Total cost with Hypex HS500 amp will be under $1000. Not bad considering amp alone is $500.

Couple that with my recently acquired Legends and my neighbors are gonna love me!

This message has been edited by Mlstrass on 03-17-2002 at 03:04 AM

Hypex HS500 amp LOL

Is its all hype?

I must get my Crapex at Crap-Mart soon. cwm27.gif

Oh yeah I will build(err read just cut a 24" sonotube)

and install three 12" JBL 7W12 drivers.SHould look like a oil barrel and beat a SVS Oil Barrel Deluxe!

cwm27.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I think you have to ask for what? Some subs seem to work better for music; while others provide more dramatic special effects for movies {LFEs). I read somewhere that less musical subs provide better effects due to higher levels of second order distortion. I dont know how true this is but it seems to make sense. The Klipsch KSW12 & 15 s for example offer a lot of punch at a low price. The Klipsch Reference subs, however, are more musical and are the better choice where musical fidelity is more important than room rattling special effects. At the suggestion of Ray Garrison, I use Klipsch LF-10s set to a 40 Hz crossover and wired in parallel with each of my Khorns, producing a more robust low end without taking much from the hair-trigger dynamics of the Khorn bass bin. For movies I have a KSW15 in the center of the room connected to my receivers LFE output.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

<<<deang...who is selling the kit for your sub?>>>

deang, I'm getting the amp/subs directly from Adire. Subs shipped on Friday, but amp is caught up in Customs. Tube has been cut and ports are ready. Tonight I'll cut out the MDF endcaps.

Obviously it's quite large but it'll pretty much hide behind my 36" TV with C-7 on top of it.

<<<TheEAR...Hypex HS500 amp LOL

Is its all hype?

I must get my Crapex at Crap-Mart soon.

Oh yeah I will build(err read just cut a 24" sonotube)

and install three 12" JBL 7W12 drivers.SHould look like a oil barrel and beat a SVS Oil Barrel Deluxe!>>>

TheEAR, I'm guessing you've taken one too many slapshots to the head!!!

According to Dan W at Adire and a few others who've built dual Shiva/Tempest subs I should have a very good compromise between HT/music. The Tempests go very low, but are also as fast as the Shiva 12". It will be mostly for HT as when I listen to music I usually have my current sub set to -10.