La Scala I VS Cornwall I... I know, I know...

TRV86Caprice

• Moderators

Dtel, the % was just for comparison. Like a scale of "1-10'ish" type deal. If you follow me. Not actually a measure of anything. I will pursue this Cornscala. That has me fascinated.

Indy, your post just about has me sold on the La Scala. That's what I needed to hear. I wish the K-Horn was in my budget. I have the home theater taken care of. I am purchasing the La Scalas soley for two channel use with a tuner and turntable. The room is 14 x 14.... haha.

It's just real hard for me to even give a 1- 10 rating, If I could only have one the LaScala or the Cornwall, it would be the Lascala easily, and for movies or just a little extra bass add a sub, just for a little added bottom. There are many here who think the LaScala does not need any added bass, it would just depend on how you like your sound ?

In my room, with my equipment, no sub is needed or wanted. Again, my system is music only, no movies. For home theater, I think a sub is needed as the LFE contains a lot of information critical to the enjoyment of most modern movies. I have a small sub in my living room with some bookshelf speakers. We mainly use it for TV applications but do watch some movies. When I want to listen to music, it's just the La Scala's, "one note wonders" need not apply!

I've owned em both for years, and spent some time with them side by side. With no sub, the CW bass LF will kill a LS any day, any room. That being said, some find it's smaller horn a bit 'honky' or brittle at high volumes. The LS frequency response is much rougher, but most here prefer it's larger mid horn, I think it's smoother on piano and female voice particularly. LS bass is peaky, but punchy and sounds like live rock and roll. It's a PA speaker but a lot of us love them also.

To my ear, 'it depends' on your listening and music tastes. On some music I liked the LS better, for some the CW. Currently I have LS front end (for volume) paired to THX subs crossed at 90. CW does rear surround duty and due to their low end, they are run full range. Best of all worlds!

My home office is 14 x 14 and I have forte II in here. Small footprint rules in a smaller room. For your application, in a room that size, two channel only, no sub- CW is the winner hands down. In order to get the 90^ horn of the either speaker from bouncing off the side walls, some toe-in is required, and the LS is going to eat up a huge amount of floor space. Take a 2x2' piece of cardboard as a template and try to imagine those in your room... I don't think so.

Don't you have the split woodies still? Roll them in their and do your own comparison.

M

Don't you have the split woodies still? Roll them in their and do your own comparison

The split woodies belong to GKennedy. Caprice is only using one of his pocs for his avatar. [;)]

As far as size, the Cornwalls, for all practical purposes, are only about 10 inches shallower. I would much rather move to the Chorus II if I were going to have the straight reflex bass. The mid horn is better and the placement would be easier with higher WAF.

Bruce

Don't you have the split woodies still? Roll them in their and do your own comparison

The split woodies belong to GKennedy. Caprice is only using one of his pocs for his avatar. Wink

As far as size, the Cornwalls, for all practical purposes, are only about 10 inches shallower. I would much rather move to the Chorus II if I were going to have the straight reflex bass. The mid horn is better and the placement would be easier with higher WAF.

Bruce

Thanks for clearing that up Bruce. I agree with you on the tractrix K604 mid horn of the forte II and chorus II being far superior to the exponentials. That and the footprint are why I traded an older set of CW's for some minty oak forte II's for my 14x14 room. They're 60x40 too, so you have less sound bouncing off the side walls. It does narrow the sweet spot however, depending on if this is a solitary listening position or a room full of people could be advantageous or not.

I think that 10" in depth becomes quite problematic when you skew the speakers into proper position. I've always ended up with the front corner of LS nearly 30" from the front wall. That's quite an intrusion in to a small listening room.

But I am very curious to hear what the Cornscala sounds like

I might then suggest you become equally intrigued to hear the JubeScala!

Are you buying new or used? I've got an old LaScala (an empty cabinet). I'm planning on cutting into the face of it to front mount the K510 horn that you see above in Islanders avatar.

I would suggest to you that the LaScala might beat the Cornwall (I've owned LaScalas for 30 years so discount my bias) and I would strongly suggest to you that the JubeScala will beat the stock LaScala.

If you are buying new, this isn't a cost effective choice. If however, you are buying used, then all the sudden it might be.

I'm buying used. I like projects!

I don't have to worry about the WAF right now... But might be an issue one day. haha

I would love to have a larger room and be able to A/B both speakers. I agree that different music/songs would sound better on different speakers/gear.

I am using very sub-par SS equipment right now for the CWs. A Pioneer SX-950 receiver. I like the sound, but I need to consider upgrading if I do get the La Scalas...

The avatar pic is what inspired this La Scala quest...