Anyone here get a Emotiva UMC-1?

carbon summit

On Mon, Jan 11 2010 10:48 PM I started this thread.

On Tue, Dec 21 2010 at around 11:40 AM I purchased a new UMC-1!

I also purchased a ERC-1 CD player and some black trim pieces for the UMC-1, ERC-1 and the XPA-5 I currently have.

They should arrive on Dec 24th, so I'll have a few days off of work to play with my new toy!!!!!!

Cool! I have been watching all year too. Does anyone have a high resolution shot of the back of the UMC-1? Or a link to download the manual? The XPA-5 is out of stock (bummer), so I need to see if my current AVR would power the speakers so I could at least use it for now. At least until I can get a XPA-5. I'm looking for the output options of the UMC-1 however the site pictures are too small to read what they are.

Not sure if this was posted yet, But
"Jade Design, Inc. today announced it has completed the acquisition of Sherbourn Technologies of North Billerica, MA. By January 1, 2011 all of Sherbourn's operations will be moved to Jade Design's headquarters in Franklin, TN. Jade Design, which is the parent company of Emotiva Audio Corporation, will continue to offer a complete selection of Sherbourn-brand high-performance audio products, including stereo and multichannel pre-amp/processors/tuners and amplifiers for the retail and custom installation channels. In addition to the current product offerings, Sherbourn will introduce several new models over the coming year, including a line of high performance home theater loudspeakers and subwoofers in both free standing and architectural versions."
This tells me that purchasing Emo puts me in good company and when you think about all the talk about the UMC-1 being like the Sherbourn PT-7020A Processor that MSRPs at $2750 I have to think I got a great deal for similar technology!!!!

On Mon, Jan 11 2010 10:48 PM I started this thread.

On Tue, Dec 21 2010 at around 11:40 AM I purchased a new UMC-1!

I also purchased a ERC-1 CD player and some black trim pieces for the UMC-1, ERC-1 and the XPA-5 I currently have.

They should arrive on Dec 24th, so I'll have a few days off of work to play with my new toy!!!!!!

Outstanding!! Please let us know how the ERC-1 performs.

The black trim looks way better than the standard silver. My wife said that the silver looked like white walls on a Camero. Ya gotta love gals like that!

Carbon Summit, I also have a Yamaha 663 and I'm looking forward to your review on the UMC-1. I'm sure you'll be pleased. Emotiva has a good bunch of people who will work with you if you need them. Good luck.

I've owned the Yamaha 663 and it has worked great without one hiccup. Part of the reason I've been on the fence for so long on this purchase. Hard to justify replacing something that works with something that is known to have problems. I'm hoping the improvement in sound quality out weighs any grief any bugs or updating firmware brings me. It sounds like most of the bugs are worked out now so I thought while the Christmsa sale was on I'd take the plunge.

I'm not much of a reviewer, or do I claim to be an audiophile but after I have some time with it I'll try to put together a review of the differences betweent the two.
Not sure how much time is the right time, but I always laugh when I read reviews on line "just bought this product today and its the greatest thing ever, best thing I've ever done..." But maybe the diference will be so great that I'll feel that way, hope so!!!

Cool! I have been watching all year too. Does anyone have a high resolution shot of the back of the UMC-1? Or a link to download the manual? The XPA-5 is out of stock (bummer), so I need to see if my current AVR would power the speakers so I could at least use it for now. At least until I can get a XPA-5. I'm looking for the output options of the UMC-1 however the site pictures are too small to read what they are.

Address for the manual: http://emotiva.com/umc1/manual.pdf

I would if it handled balanced connections

You could get the Sherbourn,same thing w/balanced,only $2750.The xmc should have what you're lookin' for,and cheap.

YES,I have the UMC1 installed in my set,and it is the BOMB,I love it,$439 delivered(with my discount),WOW,WOWEE,WOWWOW!Best sounding prepro for music I've had in my room,period.

When you used your 40% discount card from your last Emo pre/pro on the UMC-1, did you get a new 40% off card for your next one after the UMC-1?

To bite, or not to bite?

I may just have to order one... I wish I knew what the next generation was going to offer and how much it's going to cost. Anyone have the inside scoop on this?

Here is the thread over at Emotiva:
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=preamps&thread=7445

AND this one, too: http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=updates&action=display&thread=4121

AND this from Emonatics: http://emonatics.com/XMC-1.shtml (This page has all the info condensed.)

It's long and started a while ago but, there is plenty of info! [:D]

I have not had a lot of time to play with the UMC-1 with Christmas and everything that comes with it. I'll be out of town Thurs-Sun for New Years so again not a lot of time to really check out the UMC-1 in the future.

But my initial review is good. Sound quality is better than the Yamaha and I had good luck with Emo Q. Gives me a real solid starting point to work from. A few quirks but over all having good luck.

Word on the XMC-1 is it will be out in March. I know we all probably take that with a grain of salt, I was on the UMC-1 waiting list so I wonder if it will come out on time. But it sounds like the XMC-1 and UMC-1 share a lot of the same technology so it has most of the work done already. From what I've read over at Emo Lounge.

One of the problems I've been reading about is when you FF/REW DVR content the center channel drops out or slow audio lock after FF/REWing. I've been watching a lot of DVR'd stuff trying to get this to happen (or any other problem before my return policy is up) and nothing has gone wrong. I'm not complaining, having no problems is a good thing, but when I've read on the Emo forum how the UMC-1 can work great one day and go crazy the next I'm trying to get this thing to mess up and so far have had no issues after the first day of setting it up. Any issues that day might have been me learning the unit looking back on it.

Just thought I'd check in. Any other UMC-1 owners that are having problems please share them so I know where to look, or what to do to see if I can get mine to do it too.

Hey Carbon..... The only issue I can tell you about is pausing a BluRay disk for a minute and then losing the center channel when pushing play. I, too, have an LG so, that might be something to look for.

The only other thing, which has always been there, is the lock on time with the LG playing Pandora, YouTube, and some CDs. (HDMI can really be a pain.) I just put back in service a 1984 Realistic 1st gen. CD player with plain analog. Sounds great and of course, no lock on issues. The LG manual states that audio CDs revert to 44KHz and since the Realistic is native 44, they sound just about identical. Not bad for 26+ years old!

You haven't mentioned anything regarding "the good". Any info to share? [;)]

Sorry not trying to focus on the negative! Sound quality is better than my Yamaha 663, but other than that I'm not sure what to say. Have not had a lot of time to play with it yet, and when I have its trying to identify problems before my return policy is up. I've got a guy that wants to buy my 663 so I feel the pressure to find the flaws more than anything at this point just to make sure I don't sell a receiver that has been solid for something that might be problematic. So far my UMC-1 had been pretty solid. Also I think I'm at that point where I'm questioning the diminishing rate of returns on buying a pre/pro and trying to decide if its worth it over all to spend more money.

I was never sold on the 663's YPAO and using it as a starting point wasn't as easy as the UMC-1 is. Emo-Q on the UMC-1 is great to work with and gives me more adjustments than I know what to do with. The on screen display on the UMC-1 is a million times better than the 663's, and I love having the volume display on the screen. The UMC-1 just feels higher end than the 663 does, which it should, it cost more. The MSRP on the 663 was $549, but I paid much less. But even the higher end Yamahas of that time lacked a modern OSD. I'm not sure how the new ones are (mines a 2008 model).

Over all the UMC-1 is without a doubt a step up from what I had, no question about it. I think its a bargain for $699 + free shipping and $100 Emo bucks (not sure if the shipping is still free after the Christmas sale, and Emo bucks are only good if you're buying more Emo stuff- in my case the ERC-1). Again for me its the nagging feeling of "is it worth it really?" I'm a sucker for the upgrade bug, but have been doing really good avoiding it, and actually selling off some of my extra stuff until I decided to buy myself a Christmas UMC-1. Then I had $100 Emo bucks to burn before the end of the year which was weeks away so I may as well get the ERC-1.

I love owning the ERC-1 because I always wondered what I was missing using my DVD or BD player as a CD. There is a difference and that nagging feeling is now gone, but again "is it worth it?" starts playing in my mind. The price of the ERC-1 went up after the first of the year so that helps me feel good about that purchase. A lot of worries and nagging thoughts, maybe I just need meds!!! LOL, just trying to slow the roll of the upgrade bug, and with the poor economy and how its effected my industry I think I'm just a lot more cautious about spending money now. So all my doubts are more about being financially responsible than anything. If anyone is on the fence about buying Emo products I'd say do it because I'm happy with what you get for the price, thats for sure.

Well thats a few minutes of your life you'll never get back reading that long story, but it helped me see that the issue isn't as much about the product as the cash so I've moved much closer to keeping everything now and less focused on the return period since in the end I'd be keeping both the UMC-1 and the ERC-1 a long time and I have been thinking about getting something better than the 663 for a while so I guess it is worth it!!! That is probably part of why I'm trying to get the UMC-1 to fail now, so I don't have to worry about keeping it and then having it suck later and then I'm back looking for something else.

Sad to say but I do love how the UMC-1 stacked on top my ERC-1 on one shelf and then the XPA-5 on the shelf below all with black trim it look!!!! Not a reason to keep something but I had to mention it. [:P]

Thanks for sitting through my own personal self help session!!