Anyone here get a Emotiva UMC-1?

carbon summit

I don't get the plx option with ps3 games. Its all 2ch options. The all stereo is the best option in the choice. That way I still get the 5.1 sound effects. It still seperates the would like DD would. Your right though the All Stereo tag is a very lose term. I talked to Vincent about that sound option and why I didn't get the plx option and he said it has something to do with the way the games are encoded.

I haven't really played with the sound options on my HDDVD that much because I have only watched 2 movies since I got the Umc. I will say the HDDVD's did sound great. Not entirely sure what the sound option was. Was told it wont say "DD TrueHD" even if selected. Something out trade mark rights and a way around it.

Day 25 out of 30 on my return policy. I'm still happy with the UMC-1, I don't think I'd be counting down the days if I didn't read about others having issues and worrying when my day will come. But knock on wood I've had a few little issues that have popped up but nothing that turning the UMC-1 off and on didn't' fix.

I'm enjoying owning the UMC-1, it has so much opportunity to make adjustments and tweak it to your room/system that its fun to play with. I think it sounds great and I say that knowing I have not put enough time into fine tuning so I know it will sound better when I invest more time in it.

I have a UPA-7 jones going on. And I just can't shake it!!!!

Maybe consider Wuzzer's LPA-1 that he has for sale in the Garage section:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/141428/1441272.aspx#1441272

5 channels at 125 watts, and two at 50 watts vs all 7 at 125 watts. It would save you a little cash and I'm not sure surrounds need 125 watts anyway. I know I say that having 200 watts going to mine, but I do think its over kill. I used to have front & rear Forte IIs with the Academy at center and listened to 7 channel music more (thats what Yamaha calls it, of course I only had 5) but now I find I don't really listen to it much so my surrounds are truely just surrounds and I listen to music on two channel.

Ok a friend just borrowed me his wyred4 sound

W4S DAC-2

and 2 of these W4S SX-1000 Monoblock

These are quite expensive for what I'm used to at about $2400 for the 2 channel preamplifier and $1400 for each of the monoblock amps with 540 watts RMS each and now I'm getting the upgrade bug.

I listened to a few songs and level matched them with my current Onkyo 805 reciever for 2 channel music without a sub. The wyred for sound stuff brough out things in the music that is really hard to pick out with the onkyo 805. It really is at least a level above the 805. I'm not sure yet if it's the amps or the preamplifier DAC unit. I'm thinking its more the preamp, but I'll do some testing tomorrow to figure that part out. I'll use the amps with my 805 to see if the songs have that extra detail. I mean it is 530 watt/channel vs the 130 watts per channel of my 805 (may be 140 in pure audio 2 channel).

To think I'm missing that much of the music just kind of sucks. I thought my stuff was incredibly detailed. It was, but this is so much better in that respect. Also the bass hits harder with more abrupt start and stop of each bass guitar string or whatever is bassy. The extra seperation that I'm hearing is very much like what I heard going to my la scala speakers from what I had. Although, that difference was more like 7 levels better with the la scalas. I'd say this is at least one or maybe 2 levels better in terms of seperation and detail.

After hearing this I now know there is better out there for my main passion of home theater. After reading all of the thread here a second tome, I begining to think the umc-1 or maybe the xmc-1 (when it comes out) would be my answer to sonic nirvana.

Oh on another note, when using the rca cables for the borrowed setup, I heard a fairly loud when silent buzz in my speakers when connecting the amp. When I used a XLR cable the buzz went away completely. This was using a 6 foot or less RCA cable and a 15 foot XLR cable. In a review I read on the borrowed system, they mentioned that XLR should give a much better sonic experience. I'm wondering if that would translate to the UMC vs XMC? It is making me think that the XLR is just a better setup idea and going to it may be better in the long run.

I have a UPA-7 jones going on. And I just can't shake it!!!!

Maybe consider Wuzzer's LPA-1 that he has for sale in the Garage section:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/141428/1441272.aspx#1441272

5 channels at 125 watts, and two at 50 watts vs all 7 at 125 watts. It would save you a little cash and I'm not sure surrounds need 125 watts anyway. I know I say that having 200 watts going to mine, but I do think its over kill. I used to have front & rear Forte IIs with the Academy at center and listened to 7 channel music more (thats what Yamaha calls it, of course I only had 5) but now I find I don't really listen to it much so my surrounds are truely just surrounds and I listen to music on two channel.

I have considered wuzzer's amp a couple of times. The family watches a lot of TV and movies but I steer more toward the music end. The way the UMC handles music in PLIIx mode has me hooked. To drive my current RB-25 surrounds, 50 watts should suffice however, I've been known to push beyond the comfortable level and I really don't want to clip the amp section.

Somtime in the future, I hope to aquire Klipschorns and relegate the LaScalas to surround duty (or center). Not sure yet. Future usefulness is always on my mind. I know that I could procure a 2, 3, or 5 channel amp in the future to bolster the 2 - 50 watt channels on the LPA. I'm not quite ready for another HT buy and the space available for gear is limited and will be finite when I get around to building it in. 1 7 channel amp will fit.

I would love a stack XPAs (even UPAs) so maybe I'll rethink the whole plan. An LPA-1 with a UPA-5 offers a lot of options. I''ve already decided that a projection HT is probably the way we will go in the future and that was a recent change so, who knows!

Well, 30 days is past. I can only assume thhttp://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=updates&action=display&thread=16169at the UMC/XPA combo is working out. I have a UPA-7 jones going on. And I just can't shake it!!!!

I just noticed that the UPA-7 is close out priced now. $599 with free shipping. What was the price before, I can't remember?

Well, 30 days is past. I can only assume thhttp://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=updates&action=display&thread=16169at the UMC/XPA combo is working out. I have a UPA-7 jones going on. And I just can't shake it!!!!

I just noticed that the UPA-7 is close out priced now. $599 with free shipping. What was the price before, I can't remember?

It was $699 + shipping. Now it's $599 + Free Shipping

I just reserved a UPA-7. [:D]

It was $699 + shipping. Now it's $599 + Free Shipping

I just reserved a UPA-7. Big Smile

Congrats!

Congrats!

Thank you sir.

I'm thinking that getting a soon to be discontinued 7 will be the best bet in the long run. After listening to the Emo webcast, the 7 channel amp(s) will be for the high end user. Thus the price tag for a 7 will be much higher and I would be left to purchase a 5 + 2 at more than this 7. Probably the better option right now. I feel the UPA-7 will last me a good 10 years. That's ~$59.90 per year. And, I still have the old Sony to power a few drivers to just experiment. First in line is a center channel mounted above the screen to add to the one below.

No matter what you do, the moniker Upgrade-a-Holic seems to shine through. [:)]