Anyone here get a Emotiva UMC-1?

carbon summit

Is there an expected date for the XMC? Seems like it keeps getting pushed out. Maybe there will be a closeout sale on the UMC in a few months...

Nothing concrete. Last I heard it was 2nd qtr. 2011.

If I was Emo, and the final firmware on the UMC finally gets rid of most of the bugs, I might just keep it as part of the line-up at the lower price point. The XMC is rumored to be in the $999-$1100 range. I'll bet it will be $899.

And no, you can't go out and hear one. Yet. Emo's custom installer line could hit before next winter and the Sherborn merger could impact the maketing and distribution channels. Dan and Lonnie commented that the Emotiva line will remain on-line only. So who knows. This brand is gsining in popularity and there are probably 1 or 2 guys/gals out there that would invite you over for a listen if you asked. That's been done quite a bit.

And also its kind of hard to make your mind up when you cant run down to your local hifi store and check it out.

Those high end guys all know about Emo. Since they can't get their hands on them (profit) they don't comment much. The good shops will ask a lot of questions but never slam a product they can't get. They are just happy that you are in their establishment. After all,ya still need that big screen or projector and they are right there with all the info/gear/services you require. ($$$)

Funny, my local shop only has a pair of Paladiums from Klipsch on display. Nothing more. The guys were touting these electro-ribbon thingies and when I askd to hear the Paladiums, they told me they weren't even hooked up! I guess margins rule. Of course they will order you any Klipsch you want. However their 2 theaters were simply amazing and I had to leave before spending what I don't have!

How does the Emotiva compare to the likes of a Rotel processor (or something along those lines)? Is a Rotel in a different class? Do we just like the Emotiva becasue of the pricepoint? Why doesn;t the rest of the world jump at the Emotiva if it is that great at such a great price? Trying to put things in perspective...

If I remember right forum member Fish had a Rotel pre/pro and a few other brands as well before getting the UMC-1. You might PM him and see what is take is on the Rotel vs Emo comparison.

okay my fellow experts, need help with small issue. for using the RADIO when you want to tune in a station. as it stands now, i have several preset stations, but sometimes i just want to "scan" up or down to the next station that might not be a preset. does anyone know how to do that? so far, i can't seem to find the remote function and program it to my logitech. i don't want to have to program all the stations and have them all as presets. right now my remote has 2 quick buttons (tune up and tune down) and what they do is change from one preset to another.

thanks guys!

at's what i am thinking too, if it's so great why lots of people are selling them off?

i guess each has their preferences.

some of the issues with the UMC-1 kinda drive me in a different direction.

- bugs, bugs, and more bugs

- hdmi handshaking issue with htpc (big for me)

- lack of EQ (emo Q is not exactly on par with Audssey or MCACC)

Smokarz-

The EDID issue was really easy for me to work through, once I knew what the issue was.... Prior to finding out what the problem was, it was like looking for a needle in a stack of needles, but once I knew I had an EDID issue, there is so much info out there to help you. Just google EDID override.... I coudn't do it on my computer b/c my old video card was an obscure ATI card that had no support, if I had Linux as my OS, I could have written my own code to override, or as I mentioned above there is even Linux code for EDID override on all ATI cards. There is a ton of EDID override software for ATI cards on AVS forum and on google.

If you have an Nvidea card you should have no EDID issues. Nvidea does a great job of supporting that, and a new video card cost be $59.00 (2 days ago from BB).

Since I did the firmware update to the .13 (don't have the plastic remote) .14 (for the metal remote), I am yet to see any bug that any of the other people have mentioned. It will be interesting when the next update comes out....

-BC

Wuzzer-

Again, It was a great transaction, and I am very happy with it so far....

Thanks again.

-BC

Do you agree with this statement? You can't go wrong with a Marantz AV7005.

I see a few guys on the Emo Lounge that have gone to the 7005 after the UMC-1 wasn't to their liking. My thoughts are this, some of those guys switched when the UMC-1 sucked. No point in splitting hairs, it did suck. I passed on it on the original preorder and ended up buying it later. But it has been brought up to speed now and with another firmware on the way I'm hoping it gets even better!

Secondly the 7005 costs twice as much as a UMC-1. What more do I have to say? I doubt its twice as good. As I've said time and time again its the law of diminishing returns. Only you can decide what value you put on the level of refinement the 7005 would give you. If anyone decides paying twice as much to get it is worth it I applaud them and want to hear their review of the unit. But for me I can't justify paying twice as much for a pre/pro that isn't twice as good. To each their own, but I'd never laugh at anyone who bought the 7005 as its a great unit and Marantz as a whole makes great products. I'd just rather spend the difference in price betweent the two on something that will make a bigger difference in my system.

Do you agree with this statement? You can't go wrong with a Marantz AV7005.

I see a few guys on the Emo Lounge that have gone to the 7005 after the UMC-1 wasn't to their liking. My thoughts are this, some of those guys switched when the UMC-1 sucked. No point in splitting hairs, it did suck. I passed on it on the original preorder and ended up buying it later. But it has been brought up to speed now and with another firmware on the way I'm hoping it gets even better!

Secondly the 7005 costs twice as much as a UMC-1. What more do I have to say? I doubt its twice as good. As I've said time and time again its the law of diminishing rate of return. Only you can decide what value you put on the level of refinement the 7005 would give you. If anyone decides paying twice as much to get it is worth it I applaud them and want to hear their review of the unit. But for me I can't justify paying twice as much for a pre/pro that isn't twice as good. To each their own, but I'd never laugh at anyone who bought the 7005 as its a great unit and Marantz as a whole makes great products. I'd just rather spend the difference in price betweent the two on something that will make a bigger difference in my system.

I feel like I am stuck in the middle: 1. get the UMC now (with faults and maybe right before a price decrease when the XMC launches). 2. wait for XMC (likely delayed long time, first pass without trial and error, etc and maybe a price increase). 3. spend more for the marantz (pay a high price to enjoy now, but know that it works). 4. other. I can keep using my AVR as a preout, but looking forward to my first separates experience...

Well there was a few questions about people getting the metal remote from Emo and getting the new Emo mic, etc

I sent Emo an e-mail last week asking them to transfer my warranty and asked them what I had to do to get a UMC-R. Anyways, they sent me an e-mail with a tracking number and they just sent me the UMC-R for free.

Pretty good deal. I'm going to pick up my UPA-7 tonight from Fed-Ex since I missed the delivery today...

just finished updating about an ~hour ago... didn't help me with my Harmony remote control issue, but it seems like it made some improvements.

Anyone else with a Harmony out there and a UMC-1. I am using a Harmony 700, I also have a Harmony 510, and neither of these 2 remotes have full functionality. I could use the infared learning feature, but before I waste a bunch of time on this, I was wondering what other kind of issues people might be having....

BTW, the UMC-1 + UPA-7 is a sweet set up, I still need to get surrounds and rears (currently using my old Quintets), but I am going to hold off for a little bit. The next phase of my operation is going to be getting new furniture to hold all of my stuff, I need more depth, and I need more cord concealment....

just finished updating about an ~hour ago... didn't help me with my Harmony remote control issue, but it seems like it made some improvements.

Anyone else with a Harmony out there and a UMC-1. I am using a Harmony 700, I also have a Harmony 510, and neither of these 2 remotes have full functionality. I could use the infared learning feature, but before I waste a bunch of time on this, I was wondering what other kind of issues people might be having....

BTW, the UMC-1 + UPA-7 is a sweet set up, I still need to get surrounds and rears (currently using my old Quintets), but I am going to hold off for a little bit. The next phase of my operation is going to be getting new furniture to hold all of my stuff, I need more depth, and I need more cord concealment....

I'm using a Harmony One and it works great. When did you set up your Harmony for the UMC-1? I know there was a time that Emo hadn't provided the codes to Harmony so what was in the database was customer provided info. Emo ended up getting the codes to Harmony so the database should be accurate now. Just thinking if you got your UMC-1 a while back then maybe erase the UMC-1 from your device list and re-add it and maybe you'll have better luck. Just a guess.