Anyone here get a Emotiva UMC-1?

carbon summit

Why is a processor better sounding than a receiver? I understand why an amp would be different from receiver generated power, but aren't the processor components the same?

That 1 topic can spawn thousands of threads!

To start with, no, components are not the same. It's like rubber tires. They all do about the same thing but, try to put a Kia tire on a Ferrari and see what happens! A resistor is a resistor. But you can buy a bag of 1k ohm resistors for a couple bucks or you can buy good ones for a couple bucks each. Then theres the actual circuit boards and wiring. Everything has a low and high end. Now add in the actual internal design and it get easier to understand the disserences.

Research is your best bet here. Keep in mind that there are some darn good sounding receivers. You do have to pay for the quality. Dedicated processors have to stand on their own. They must deliver superiority at their price point or they will be torn to sheds by the various reviewers and quickly disappear.Great receivers have to deliver to market and price point. That's why Onkyo has different product lines. Market share is important and to get that share they have to produce a lower end product. If you have a chance to audition a low/high end receiver from the same manufacturer, do it.

For the majority of the buyers out there, 1 box, plug and play capability is all that matters. They have been listening to TV speakers and the move to a receiver is quantum. Sound quality isn't as high of a priority than hearing a BluRay in surround for the first time. They usually purchase lower end gear and it does just what they want it to. I can tell you from experience that my Sony receiver sounded OK when I purchased it. I researched for 2 years before I was convinced that a pre/pro was the way to go. It took less than a minute to hear the difference between it and my old Sony receiver.

I suppose for the total cost of my pre/pro and just ordered amp, I could have found a receiver that was pretty good. The $1300 units out there have a great reputation. I'll never know since I don't think I'll have a chance to compare them to what I have. I'm ok with that. My new amp should last 10+ years and when the technology changes, I will be able to upgrade the pre/pro separately and not have to spend the money to get another amp section too.

I think it would be like buying a new house to get a higher efficiency furnace. Some will and do just that. Wink

Thanks for taking the time to reply in a easy to understand matter. Odd that the more knowledge I gain, the more money I spend! At least it is saved on not buying movie tickets!

Thanks for taking the time to reply in a easy to understand matter. Odd that the more knowledge I gain, the more money I spend! At least it is saved on not buying movie tickets!

The more knowledge you gain the more critical you become and the more money you spend. Ain't it fun?

watched the superbowl today. i had the audio through the umc (optical) and the video by direct hdmi hook up. the cable dvr box and company was AT&T Uverse. i had no audio drop outs at all and worked/ sounded great. the only oddity i don't like is, the volume has to be much higher than a dvd would. my normal dvd viewing volume is 33-35 (30 is set at 80db) and for this game it was 45. wasn't overly loud but was at a nice loud clear volume.

so i am lost when people talk about audio issues. i haven't had one since i plugged it in. in fact other than me not knowing certain settings, i haven't had an issue yet.

watched the superbowl today. i had the audio through the umc (optical) and the video by direct hdmi hook up. the cable dvr box and company was AT&T Uverse. i had no audio drop outs at all and worked/ sounded great. the only oddity i don't like is, the volume has to be much higher than a dvd would. my normal dvd viewing volume is 33-35 (30 is set at 80db) and for this game it was 45. wasn't overly loud but was at a nice loud clear volume.

so i am lost when people talk about audio issues. i haven't had one since i plugged it in. in fact other than me not knowing certain settings, i haven't had an issue yet.

If you go to the system set up and then go under the input setup and select the cable input and about half way down select input level and you should be able to even out the differences between cable and dvd.

Just to clarify. I don't have an Emotiva credit now. My wording meant that if I get the UMC now, then I would have 40% off for the XMC. However I would rather pay the full price for the XMC and then be able to use the 40% off on the next generation or whenever I need to update. So, I know that I have reasonably priced upgrades for several years. However, now that I think about it... it may be wiser to jump in the UMC at a "low" price and then use the 40% off whenever needed. Instead, of waiting and limiting upgrades to one company in the far off future (not even knowing the company will be there or still offering the discount). Anyone want to use their 40% off now and ship to me? Will split savings...

If you did this the original owner wouldn't have to buy it and ship it to you. He/she can just mail you the card and you can use it. Emo doesn't keep track of who originally got the card.

I've been considering selling my 40% discount card when the XMC-1 comes out. If the XMC-1 costs $1000 for easy math 40% off so its worth $400 to me on the XMC-1, and probably more in the future since I'm guessing the model down the road in a few years will cost even more. I'd probably sell it for $300. The next guy could save a $100 and I could reduce the cost of my UMC-1 by $300. Of course down the road I might regret selling the card when some new Emo unit comes out, or maybe in the future I'll want another brand of pre/pro and not need the card.

not really part of anything but i am going to post it anyway.

i never liked the power button on the LPA-1 (as compared to the UMC-1 or any of the XPA amps). emailed Vincent at Emo and asked if i could swap it out. got a email back saying it was possible and he's sending me one now! how cool is that! what other HT manufacture is going to allow you to open up the gear and mess with stuff and still let the warranty be intact! they already gave me the green light on the iec inlet, so just another thing that is awesome about them! i know, i know, almost everybody here says the iec inlet change was a waist, but that's not the point, it's simply that they allowed me to do it and i didn't void the warranty.

anyways, thanks for reading......

Ok I found it. Listen to Podcast 10.29.10 part 1 ,this is where Big Dan states about upgrade certificates.He states is good for the XMC.I just wont y'all to know where I got my info. But this looks like it changed per InVeNtOR.Dang it

I had to call Emo this morning about something else and asked about the discount card and you can use it on the XMC-1. I think at first you couldn't but a while back they changed it to you could. Things change a lot there so hard to keep up sometimes!

Well, I'm sold, I am going to call Emo Friday and order it up, they told me the UPA-7 will ship 15 Feb 2011. So I hope to get that at the end of next week. I am pretty excited to get all my new gear....

You cant go wrong.So are you ordering the UMC-1 also,are is that later.

Well I just checked my bank account and Emotiva charged for the UPA-7 so they must have shipped. I went ahead and ordered the UMC-1 . Hopefully they are here for the weekend.

Congratulations. How did you decide to order the UMC versus waiting for the next version? I am in the same situation...