Anyone here get a Emotiva UMC-1?

carbon summit

• 2 months later...

Got it 1 month ago. Love it. The LaScalas sound almost new.

I haven't tweaked the settings much and have not tried EmoQ. I still believe it's the best $699 I've ever spent on HT gear. I will update FW in the next couple of weeks. Time permitting, I'll post impressions and anomolies.

i finally pushed the power button! (6-2-10). i have had it for a while now, but couldn't turn it on because i hadn't finished making my power cables (and all the other upgrades too). yesterday was the first day that i had all the cables done and i was very happy it actually turned on! i know that sounds a little crazy but when you pay all that money and don't turn it on to way after the 30day rule, you do get a little nervous. any yes, my umc-1 did get a small upgrade. once i am done with eveything i will post in the upgrade section about it. the umc-1 got upgraded, xpa-3, and lpa-1.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been anxiously waiting for reports on this and it seems the buzz has died. It was hot when it wasn't available and now I don't find much info. It seems like the umc-1 and xpa-3 would be the perfect setup for my RC-64 and RF-83's. I just wonder if this is still the thing to buy or is there something else getting all the attention now?

i haven't been talking about it because i have been redoing my entire set up. yesterday was my last day of break in so i still haven't given it it's final test review. i have played my demo twice now (before break in) and it sounds really really good. i have the xpa-3 and lpa-1 powering all my speakers and i have to say, best set of equipement i have ever bought. i will say this, i has alot of options (umc-1) and quite a few i have never heard of any other processor having. i now know (from last night) that when my volume is at 30, it's 80db.

i'd say run out and get one.

On a side note, how do you like your XPA-2 versus the XPA-5? How you done a direct comparison of them with the mains? I had contemplated getting either two XPA-1 monoblocks, or an XPA-2 to run along with my X-5. I would have to hear a 'real' difference to justify the extra space and $$.

Wow, I don't know how I missed this askbob, sorry bout that! I love the Emotiva amps, for the money they are just awesome. I did do some side x side tests on my mains between the XPA-2 and XPA-5 and you can hear and feel the difference. The XPA-2 was claimed to be 250 watts a channel when I bought mine but after some outside testing they found out it was putting down a clean 315 or more watts a channel compared to the XPA-5 200 watts a channel. So the difference is there... I don't know that running the mono blocks is worth it with Klipsch, I can't see playing any louder than this XPA-2 plays to be honest.

Anyone here get a Emotiva UMC-1?

Me! Just bought one that popped up on eBay. It was at $625 buy-it-now with free shipping. The bing.com cashback program is still in place through the end of July so I instantly got $50 back to make the pre-amp cost me $575. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

On a side note, how do you like your XPA-2 versus the XPA-5? How you done a direct comparison of them with the mains? I had contemplated getting either two XPA-1 monoblocks, or an XPA-2 to run along with my X-5. I would have to hear a 'real' difference to justify the extra space and $$.

Wow, I don't know how I missed this askbob, sorry bout that! I love the Emotiva amps, for the money they are just awesome. I did do some side x side tests on my mains between the XPA-2 and XPA-5 and you can hear and feel the difference. The XPA-2 was claimed to be 250 watts a channel when I bought mine but after some outside testing they found out it was putting down a clean 315 or more watts a channel compared to the XPA-5 200 watts a channel. So the difference is there... I don't know that running the mono blocks is worth it with Klipsch, I can't see playing any louder than this XPA-2 plays to be honest.

Thanks for the input! I am very happy with just the XPA-5, but more power is always on my mind. I do tend to listen louder than most, so I need all of the headroom I can get. The more reading I do about the XPA-2, the more I think it will be a perfect fit. But, the X-1's still have me intrigued as well as what new amps Emo has in the works that are around the corner.

• 4 months later...

Yeah,a few are really wound up,but most people understand early adopters have to deal with some issues.The thing is,even if they get really tore down it's mostly cause they hate the idea of sending it back.Once I heard the UMC I decided if they can work out most the issues I have to keep it.It has a level of detail and separation generally reserved for upper midfi. I'd like to be able to recommend the UMC,people that hear it,like it,they make their own choice.

Hi Fish,
A few months later and I'm still on the fence. You've had the UMC-1 from the beginning, what is your opinion of it now?

Yeah,a few are really wound up,but most people understand early adopters have to deal with some issues.The thing is,even if they get really tore down it's mostly cause they hate the idea of sending it back.Once I heard the UMC I decided if they can work out most the issues I have to keep it.It has a level of detail and separation generally reserved for upper midfi. I'd like to be able to recommend the UMC,people that hear it,like it,they make their own choice.

Hi Fish,
A few months later and I'm still on the fence. You've had the UMC-1 from the beginning, what is your opinion of it now?

Hey Cabon Summit,

I know you asked Fish but, I promised an update quite a while back and thought this was a good time!

I ran my unit pretty much out of the box for 6 months on v5.0 of the firmware. I was very impressed and trweaked here and there where I could. The firmware had bugs and didn't allow EQ settings to be saved. SQ was still really good but basically default. Early November I got an LG BD570 and decided to take a day off and upgrade the firmware. Did a lot of forum searching and document digging to get the latest and greatest instructions. Upgrade went without a hitch. The EQ actually worked!!! Then Lonnie put out a beta version that he called the "Hot Rod" (v7.00.00.5). Upgraded and found the supplied mic for EmoQ was toast. 3 days later, no cost, new mic arrived. All worked.

So much for the time line.....

Thebeta firmware isn't perfect. But, what a HUGE difference. SQ is now relatively amazing. So much so that I determined that the 12" driver on my Heresy II center was blown. Replaced it.

Separation is great The sound quality is is much better. Instruments are clear and crisp. Vocals are what they should be. I used the Eagles DVD as a before and after and the difference is startling. PLIIx, DTS-HD, MCPCM, etc all function great. I prefer PLII x for most everything even CD source material. The SQ is just that good.

There are configs for the center channel that really improve the experience. Center Width and Dimension can be adjusted to fit your liking.

I ran the EmoQ with the new mic and checked what the algorythms came up with. Speaker distance was right on. However, it told me that 4 of 7 speakers were out of phase. No so. Checked everything and there were no reversals. Others have ignored this weird result. So did I. The crossover points were exactly as I had set them initially. Strange that it set all the slopes to -12db. I'm still deciding if -12 or -24 gives a better sound. The EQ had a few strange results. Probably due to the room not being silent during calibration. A little manual tweaking and all was well. For those that are interested. There are plenty of details on the Emotiva forums to fill in the rest of the blanks. My experience is that EmoQ made up for my lack of tweaking time. It made a big difference in the low end and took the harshness out of the LaScalas - is that possible?

The HDMI audio lock on can still be a bit quirky. Some times it's sub-second. Other times it's 5-6 seconds. Very annoying. I've narrowed it down to the LG player. Those using an Oppo aren't complaining. Cahnging video sources is where the time lag mostly exists. Once locked on, solid.

This thing is a tweakers dream. There are some features that they could do away with. DSP audio (stadium, hall, club, toilet) are useless to me. Dolby Volume muddies the sound and very few use it.

Lonnie has not released the beta firmware as a final version since there are still a couple of areas where little changes need to be made. I'm expecting rock solid performance with the next/last release. For me, the UMC-1 does just what I need it to do without much adjusting. Turn it on and there it is! The WAF is very high also. She loves Pandora and the SQ on this even at 2 channel 44k is great using PLIIx.

I hope Fish is having just as much fun! [:)]

Thanks Xki, the post wasn't exclusively intended for Fish, although it does read that way.

I guy who has a UMC-1 called me tonight. He used to have a Cary pre/pro. He said sound quality wise the UMC-1 was on par with it. All the bugs and screwing around with firmware upgrades made it much less of a pre/pro so he is going back to a higher end unit.

I'll be honest since we're all friends here on the Klipsch Forum. I don't have a Cary pre/pro sized wallet. Where I'm coming from is I have more time than money so I'm happy to take the time to do updates and mess with the UMC-1 if it has the sound quality that a lot of people are saying it does.

If I get my UMC-1 ordered before noon CST (Emo time) I'll get it delivered by Dec 24th. Having a few days off around Christmas I'll have lots of time to play with my new toy!!! I might also get the ERC-1 while I'm at it since the UMC-1 comes with $100 Emo bucks.

I can't speak directly for Fish, but I will tell you we both upgraded to the 7.02 firmware at the same time and the dang unit keeps sounding better! Most all of the kinks are worked out of it as well. I went ahead and loaded the new(er) 7.02.05 code myself and couldn't be happier. Like I said before, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to purchase one. I do not have the Cary audio sized wallet either, but I do have the sound quality at a very nice pricepoint.

I agree with askbob1 that purchasing one is a good move. If it's not what you expect, the resale value is about 95% - from what I have seen.

I couldn't swing a UPA-7 to finish off the HT upgrade so I used the Emo bucks for a few cables and black trim peices. Great quality stuff.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Ok I just read this entire post. Phew.

I am a total newbie when it comes to this idea of using a separate processor. What are the advantages? Apparently sound quality goes up somehow?

I'm currently using the Onkyo sr805 that others here have been using. What would I gain by switching over to the umc-1? Are there other higher end processors that could be had on the used market that would surpass the umc-1?

My main use is for home theater but since I started getting klipsch heritage speakers have been listening to more music than ever.

I am also in the process of upgrading my la scalas to jub-scalas. This requires the use of a separate crossover (using dx-38) that uses xlr inputs and outputs so it would be nice (not essential) to have something that would also have those.

Is everyone using separate power amps for the umc-1? Would it make any sense to use the amplifier section in my onkyo sr805?

Maybe someone could direct me to a place where I could learn more about the advantages of using a separate processor.

Also if someone has had the same receiver (805) and made the upgrade, what type of jump in sound quality would I be in for? Would it be like going from heresies to la scalas or is the jump more minute?

Hi Fish,

I'm glad the guys jumped in helped out, I would agree with them on most all points.I still love my UMC as much as ever, best purchase ever in audio.I would only say "try it", that's the only way to know if it's for you.The update deal is not as bad as it sounds or has been for some people, it's always went first time for me.If you get one we'd enjoy hearing your thoughts, good luck.

Ok I just read this entire post. Phew.

I am a total newbie when it comes to this idea of using a separate processor. What are the advantages? Apparently sound quality goes up somehow?

Deep breath.... Here we go!

Amps tend to last far longer than than the preprocessors do. Amp technology doesn't change as often. If you invest in a great amp(s), they will outlive the pre-pro. That will cut down the upgrade costs significantly.

When you purchase a separate amplifier YOU can decide the size and configuration. Most AVRs have 100-200 watts per channel. Unless you spend quite a bit, the spec for all channels driven will be considerably less than the rating. And we all want 'head room'. Not just for those knock you out of your chair punches, but to allow for upgrades in the loudspeakers at some point. You can go with mono-blocks or multi channel amps. Or tubes!!! I know of guys who run 2 mono-blocks for their mains for stereo listening and a 5 channel amp for the other channels in movie mode. Or a 3 and 2. Or 2 - 1s and a 2 and a 3. It's totally up to you. Or you can get 1 7 channel amp for the whole works.

The sound quality (a debatable point) is better due to the sheer size of the amp components. Most separate amps in the 100+ watts per channel range are HEAVY, stable, and don't even breath hard at some pretty high levels. The sound quality is really just that much better. It's hard to explain but, if you have say, a violin and a piano playing in unison, I've found that you can hear each instrument as an individual rather than a blend of the 2. The sound is more precise. (IMHO)

I'm currently using the Onkyo sr805 that others here have been using. What would I gain by switching over to the umc-1? Are there other higher end processors that could be had on the used market that would surpass the umc-1?

That's a question for those who have the experience. I can say that the UMC-1 would allow you to trweak the crap out of your sound and source configurations. The used market could get you some higher priced pre-pros but they are for sale for a reason. Usually due to thechnolgy andvances that passed them by.

My main use is for home theater but since I started getting klipsch heritage speakers have been listening to more music than ever.

I am also in the process of upgrading my la scalas to jub-scalas. This requires the use of a separate crossover (using dx-38) that uses xlr inputs and outputs so it would be nice (not essential) to have something that would also have those.

The UMC-1 does not have XLR. The soon to be released XMC-1 will have these. XLR is better for long cable runs but not necessary for short lengths. Personal preference comes into play here and future upgrades or home purchases. (bigger rooms and hidden gear)

Is everyone using separate power amps for the umc-1? Would it make any sense to use the amplifier section in my onkyo sr805?

I'm using the amp section on my Sony POS AVR with the UMC-1 and even with the limitations the Sony has, it's very. very, very, much improved. The design of the UMC-1 has always aimed at sound quality. Even with the original firmware it beat the pants off of the Sony's internals. I can't speak for the Onkyo's sound quality. I think you would hear a marked improvement using it's amp section only. I did with the La Scalas. And I don't have to drive the amp section hard to rattle the walls..

Maybe someone could direct me to a place where I could learn more about the advantages of using a separate processor.

Believe it or not, there are many threads heer at the Klipsch forum that make mention of separates vs all-in-one AVRs. Your best bet is to search adn read, search and read. I was ready to get a Marantz when I found the Emotiva site. I asked questions and paid attention. I'm back to where I was 30 years ago with separates. So many people are willing to share all the details of each option. Ask.

Also if someone has had the same receiver (805) and made the upgrade, what type of jump in sound quality would I be in for? Would it be like going from heresies to la scalas or is the jump more minute?

I'm not qualified to answer that question. My gut tells me it's a substantial improvement.

There are many who have AVRs and swear by them. It's all about what you want and what you want to hear. A plus is that if you don't like what you purchased, there are plenty of people looking for what you want to sell. Either way, take the plunge. Personally, I feel separates give me what I am looking for. But that's just me.