Anyone here get a Emotiva UMC-1?

carbon summit

I thinks its weird how their amps have balanced inputs but their processor dose not. I too am looking in the Emotive line for the price.
duder

The UMC-1 does not have balanced inputs nor does the UPA line of their amps, but the coming XMC-1 processor will have balanced inputs like the XPA amp line.

I thinks its weird how their amps have balanced inputs but their processor dose not. I too am looking in the Emotive line for the price. duder

The UMC-1 does not have balanced inputs nor does the UPA line of their amps, but the coming XMC-1 processor will have balanced inputs like the XPA amp line.

I thought balanced inputs are for long runs. Not really necessary for home use is it?

I thinks its weird how their amps have balanced inputs but their processor dose not. I too am looking in the Emotive line for the price. duder

I thought balanced inputs are for long runs. Not really necessary for home use is it?

Yep balanced inputs usually won't help any for short runs, RCA cables should normally be fine anyway but Emotiva's XMC-1 will have the balanced inputs and a couple of other upgrades over the UMC-1

I got my confirmation email for shipment of 4/15 on the UMC-1, second pre-order list 1/28/10. Man those boys over at that forum are raising heck over bugs and such. Going have to see how these turns out. Still have to sell the Denon and maybe the Quartets to get the pre/pro AND a new amp.

Yeah,a few are really wound up,but most people understand early adopters have to deal with some issues.The thing is,even if they get really tore down it's mostly cause they hate the idea of sending it back.Once I heard the UMC I decided if they can work out most the issues I have to keep it.It has a level of detail and separation generally reserved for upper midfi. I'd like to be able to recommend the UMC,people that hear it,like it,they make their own choice.

They had a couple of previous model prepro's with balanced connections,and their upcoming will have.Of course these are of little value unless you have long runs but they will be available.

i just got a conformation e mail too. same date too (4-15). the issue i have i think i just may have sold my processor. now i won't have anything for a little while. i think it's worth the wait. i should probably read all the "complaints" about the UMC so i have a heads up. i am sure they will be fixed asap.

i'd like to also comment on the XLR cables. so far what people have said is correct. XLR is only beneficial for 10' long runs or greater. if you have high emi/rfi situation is where and why you need them. thanks to Michale H, he told me a way of making "directional" RCA cables. it's the same consept used in my power cords. i didn't think of it when i made the RCA's. i assumed you actually needed both inputs. at my work several audio sources uses the shield as an input. it actually carrys information.

Yeah,a few are really wound up,but most people understand early adopters have to deal with some issues.The thing is,even if they get really tore down it's mostly cause they hate the idea of sending it back.Once I heard the UMC I decided if they can work out most the issues I have to keep it.It has a level of detail and separation generally reserved for upper midfi. I'd like to be able to recommend the UMC,people that hear it,like it,they make their own choice.

Fish, here's my question; I have a Denon 4306 that has been faithful; really no reason to spend more but that's what we all say and do it anyway. The Denon has no pre/pro inputs except 7.1 analog and I really don't want to go that route so a new amp is in order if I go with the UMC. I thought I would try out the UPA-5 or XMA-5 (or perhaps the UPA-7 and use it to power the outside speakers on zone 2).

I have a good chance of selling the 4306 locally for enough to pay for the UMC-1 and then I would have to spring for the amp of choice. My current HT room really sucks so no matter what I power it with I am fighting a losing battle and I listen to two channel on a different system.

I have already answered my own question but, as a Emotiva owner, I would value your input.

I got my confirmation email for shipment of 4/15 on the UMC-1, second pre-order list 1/28/10. Man those boys over at that forum are raising heck over bugs and such. Going have to see how these turns out. Still have to sell the Denon and maybe the Quartets to get the pre/pro AND a new amp.

Dang! I put my preorder in on 1/12/10 and no email yet! Maybe I should call? I have a few things to sell that will make up the difference (F3's, Academy, SC-3) but, even if they don't sell, I'll still opt for the UMC.

Fish, here's my question; I have a Denon 4306 that has been faithful; really no reason to spend more but that's what we all say and do it anyway. The Denon has no pre/pro inputs except 7.1 analog and I really don't want to go that route so a new amp is in order if I go with the UMC. I thought I would try out the UPA-5 or XMA-5 (or perhaps the UPA-7 and use it to power the outside speakers on zone 2).
I have a good chance of selling the 4306 locally for enough to pay for the UMC-1 and then I would have to spring for the amp of choice. My current HT room really sucks so no matter what I power it with I am fighting a losing battle and I listen to two channel on a different system.

I have already answered my own question but, as a Emotiva owner, I would value your input.

Well,there is no compelling reason to update,I had several Denons and they were all ok.That said,the Denon is hdmi 1.1 I think,most newer units are 1.3,the Denons are rather bland for music,not bad,just not involving enough for me.They are generally rock solid but still for a music lover a little boring.The UMC does music very well for a digital processor,and fantastic HT also,it allows for tweeking galore.

Once this unit has been made solid,as the president said today they are aware of the issues and have a fix coming.I don't see how an avr could compete with a great prepro and a 200 wpc amp set up,for the same price,maybe less.Like I said,follow the progress and when the major issues are resolved,this will be the best buy in a Klipsch friendly prepro.

I have had my UMC-1 for about a month now. It does have some bugs. It does sound very nice with Klipsch.

I have 3 Cornwalls and 2Heresys (all ones) as a 5.1 and I find it to be dead quiet. I have recently been listening to some tube amps and other systems and while a couple have come close, for my ears none have beaten the Emotiva/Klipsch combo.

Yes I know the tubies will disagree without ever hearing it and the Mac Folks will agree with the tubers, but the reason I love Klipsch Heritage is the clarity and sound for the $$. The exact same values I find with Emotiva. Cary makes a pre/pro with the same chipset as the UMC and I probably sounds great...as it should for $30,000.

As has been said in this thread already, the UMC-1 is not perfect and has some bugs but I'm not sending mine back, they are very customer driven and will take care of the issues. I am not one to tell others what they should like, but I am very happy with my Emotiva and Klipsch gear.

If anyone wants more details ask in a pm as I don't go through all the threads as much as I used to....I'd rather listen to some tunes. [Y]

I just got my 3rd email telling me they are ready to ship my UMC, they need me to call with a cc number. I'm torn on waiting for all the bugs to be worked out or just take it as it is... I'll decide in the next few days I guess.

Yep, I got the third email today as well, ship date 4/15 with a 10-14 day call before hand for CC info. Seems like they are trying hard but one would think that they would know who they had responded to.

I just got my 3rd email telling me they are ready to ship my UMC, they need me to call with a cc number. I'm torn on waiting for all the bugs to be worked out or just take it as it is... I'll decide in the next few days I guess.

Yep, I got the third email today as well, ship date 4/15 with a 10-14 day call before hand for CC info. Seems like they are trying hard but one would think that they would know who they had responded to.

I got my email on 2/12 and have not heard a word since. My ship date is March 19th. I wonder if they forgot about me!!!

Sent: Fri 2/12/10 1:48 PM
Hello,

Please be advised we have an estimated shipping date for your UMC-1 of:

March 19th, 2010

We will contact you 10-14 days prior to this date to complete your purchase.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Emotiva Management

From my perspective, all of the bugs are trivial firmware issues. The more I listen to the UMC, the more I REALLY like it. Sound quality is outstanding from every angle. Having had the LMC, MMC, and a couple of Onkyos, it is in the next notch of sound quality. Worst case scenario would be sending it back within 30 days if you just didn't like it for some reason.

On a side note, how do you like your XPA-2 versus the XPA-5? How you done a direct comparison of them with the mains? I had contemplated getting either two XPA-1 monoblocks, or an XPA-2 to run along with my X-5. I would have to hear a 'real' difference to justify the extra space and $$.