Positive Karma needed...I added a super tweeter to my LaScala II's

steve hollowell

I just hooked up a Visaton TL 16 H horn tweeter to my LaScala II's and need some warm words from Forum members.........I think they sound great, but after spending $350 I hope some one can give some feedback on these or some other high range tweeters they may have tried....

I knew that I would be getting them today so I listened to The Beach Boys Pet Sounds last night on DVD Audio.....after hooking up the new tweeters I really feel there is a marked improvement in sound....they seem to bring out great background fills......this was also very evident listing to Steely Dan's Aja...

Any comments would be appreciated...............

Thanks ......Steve

Hey Steve,

Congratulations on the Super Tweeter's! It is always great to make the music sound better and those are some great choices in music!

May I ask, How old are you?

I am afraid I wouldn't be able to hear the difference.....at my age.[:^)]

Dennie

I will be 55 in June.....it is amazing what you can hear on various recordings.... Teen Town by Weather Report is really great....I have been playing various cuts...everything from Amy Winehouse to Lou Reed......Tool......Johnny Cash....anything with lots of cymbals and snare pops!

I have done plenty of live venues to damage my hearing over the years but things still sound great...I have already talked to my son(21).....He can't wait to get off work at 10 tonight to check out the new toys...

I have always heard symbol crashes, recently I have been enjoying a buzzing in my left ear. My doctor tells me it probably is a high frequency deafness. I am 27. He recommended a eye,ears, nose doctor to have it check out. Probably just some earwax build up.

duder

What's up with these "super tweeters" I keep hearing about? How do you hook them up?

Years ago I had some tweeters from Radio Shack. I just spliced them in at the speaker connections and set the tweeter on top of the speaker. Is this similar to what you have? I remember them sounding pretty good but it didn't take me long to blow them.

The company that made the ones I bought is located in Germany and has a good reputation for high end components.....I paid $169 each on sale, it looks like retail goes from $230 to $280 each.and they hook up just as you describe......they are a horn tweeter and are very compatible with Klipsch. In fact the reason I considered this specific tweeter was the review of the LaScala II found on the Klipsch website.......the TL16 H was mentioned and got me looking into the subject of a higher output tweeter......Radio Shack tweeters may blow, I don't think you have to worry about this model crapping out (I hope).

they look pretty good. I'll take a few shots and have my son post them for me this evening......my set up is in our main living area,but my wife is cool with it...her only comment after hearing some music was "does it sound better to you" I answered they were worth every penny and the sound was crisp and wonderful.....Her reply "then we live in a happy home, but let's leave it with new tweeters only" I have to admit my sweet other half was not as impressed as I. We will be married 30 years in April so thank goodness she pretty much goes with the flow!!!!!!!

I found your super tweeter.....very nice: http://www.visaton.com/en/chassis_zubehoer/ht_horn/tl16h_8.html

I wish I could hear 35KHz. Looks good. Did it come with the wooden mount shown?

What I would do is play your favorite track with it and enjoy.

Then disconnect the super tweeter. If you are missing something hook it back up and pat yourself on the back for a wise decision.

For a blind test have you wife disconnect it with out telling you.

5KHz-35KHz with 100db 1w/1m response reads good to me. Makes me want to test one out.

Don't go breaking any windows.

I believe the reason those particular Radio Shack tweeters blew so quickly was the lack of a xover. Tweeters don't like much low frequency power! I notice that this particular tweeter only goes to 5khz. I thought the the network in the LS IIs (AL-4???) followed the trend of the AK-4s in the new Klipschorns with a steep slope xover to the tweeter at 4.5 Khz. Either way... I find myself wanting to upgrade the tweeters in my LaScalas and Cornwalls.

Daniel

So, did you just unhook the existing tweeter from the La Scala and replace it with this one? The Klipsch Tweeter is 104db and this one is 100db. So did you have to attenuate the Bass and MIdrange to accomodate this tweeter? -- What kind of crossover are you using in your La Scala? -

What kind of amplfication are you using?

I am using a HK-AVR, and just hooked the Tweeter to the binding post of the LaScala...everything is stock LaScala II and it just kicks in on the higher end of the frequency...sounds great

I am confused when you say the 'binding post of the La Scala" - The La Scalas and Belles and Khorns that I have seen, have terminal connections for the Woofer, tweeter, midrange and the amplifier connections on the Crossovers. Do your La Scalas have this or something different?

If you just added the tweeter on the Amplifier Connections, what gave you the idea to do that? -

BTW - What Crossovers do you have on your La Scalas?

The LaScala II----- HF and LF cabs are fully enclosed...they have binding post or speaker terminals(whatever you want to call them) like you would find on the back of a Heresy or Cornwall, which is where the speaker wires connect from your amp. This is where you connect the speaker wire from the TL16 H, this was suggested in the review of the LaScala II found under the review section on the main Klipsch website.

To be honest I have never opened up the backs of my speakers....they are only a couple of years old,have the factory crossovers and I'm not really curious enough to see what the crossovers are...I just know the HF is set at 4500Hz and have read that the TL16 H does not kick in until 7000Hz......and they all seem to work together and make a very nice sound......I am probably the least technical person on the forum so I really can't give a technical response...it's all "magical sound flowing through the air and ending up in my ears".

So essentially, the tweeter that you added is running without a crossover and at full range. I am surprised that it doesn't get damaged doing this. Or at the very least your system would be too bright with the tweeter overlapping the existing La Scalla Tweeter.

Maybe someone that knows the innards of the LaScalla II will chime in with some more details on this configuration.

I was afraid this was the case. At best, this tweeter is being connected in parallel with the HF section. If that is the case, this Tweeter is being run as low as 400Hz!!!!! I would imagine it would take very little power to damage the diaphram in those tweeters at that particular frequency. The link given earlier shows a 2.2Khz to 35Khz response. It's response falls fast below about 4.5Khz. While I imagine that you definitely hear improved frequency extention, I am afraid it is not properly set up at all. I believe this particular tweeter is not a good match for the LaScala II due to the differences in sensivity. That could be corrected with xover modifications.

WIth the current setup, your frequency response is hot from around 4.5 Khz to 17Khz due to having two drivers covering that spectrum. The lazy way to fix it would be to pull the wire off the original tweeter and and connect this new tweeter to it. You could then install some L-pads to attentuate the woofer and midrange drivers. With some measurements you could dial it in pretty close. But, that is a little rigged and would require good measurements to get it close.

Just my 2 cents... Tweaking is always fun! Remember, when it comes down to it.... do it how you like it.

Daniel