Let's talk Headphones, anyone got a nice pair of cans?

tigerwoodKhorns

There are a lot of times that I go to bed and don't want to watch tv, so streaming usic on my laptop is perfect while I'm on the internet. I have a pair os Sennheiser HD433's that I bought many years ago that are OK, but really uninvolving and just not that good.

I borrowed a pair of Sennheiser HD 580's today and they are a huge step up in performance. Nice detail and separation and very laid back top end (which I like, I'm a vinyl guy) but weak in the bass. Now I know that these are hard to drive and an outboard amp is recomended, ut I'd rather not go there. I just want to plug into my laptop and listen if possible. I have a multimedia HP notebook that is pretty decent, but I am stuch with its headphone jack.

Any reccomendations? The Sennheiser 595's are supposed to be easy to drive, but have a bright top end. I'd rather avoid bright because to me that equals fatigue. I also like the sound of the 580's being open backed, they seem to have a wide soundstage that is kind of nice.

If I need to get an amp I guess I can and just go with the Sennheiser HD600's, but I'd like to have a USB DAC/Amp and the only good one that I know anything about is the Benchmark and I do not want to spend that much. This is just for MP3's so I really don't think that I need that much of a setup. I'd rather keep it easy with just a set of headpones.

I've been to Head-fi, way too much info. Sensory overload.

Beyerdynamic DT-880. A very comfortable can with a huge soundstage and generally well-balanced sound. A bit hard to drive at 250 ohms impedance, but with the right amp, you almost forget they're on your head. The mids are a bit recessed for solid-state, but sound great on tubes.

If I need an amp I'll get one, but I think that I should get a USB DAC type amp if I go that route. The Benchmarks are really pricy. I had one of their original DAC's, great unit, but even that at $700 used is more than I want to spend.

Any opinions on USB DAC's with headphone jacks?

Anyne using Sennheiser 595's? Are they bright? They are supposed to be an easy load for computers. I am listening to the 580's right now and they have a great laid back sound, just a little light in the bass.

I have (and enjoy) Senn. HD-600s, but I wouldn't wear them to bed. Too bulky, and being open design, would bother my wife (and I'd be able to hear her, too). Have you considered in-ear? Klipsch has some nice ones, I'm told.

If I need to get an amp I guess I can and just go with the Sennheiser HD600's, but I'd like to have a USB DAC/Amp and the only good one that I know anything about is the Benchmark and I do not want to spend that much. This is just for MP3's so I really don't think that I need that much of a setup. I'd rather keep it easy with just a set of headpones.

Its funny, but I started back down the "hifi audio" path a couple of years ago with headphones. Of course, it wasn't long before I'd progressed to Fortes & tubes. ;-)

I have HD600s & a Headroom Total Bithead for use with my laptop. The USB Total Bithead is certainly not in the Benchmark class but it does drives them pretty well. At $160 its cheaper, too. Its also small enough to put in a briefcase or bag if you travel at all. I bought the Marantz 1152DC in my avatar to drive them with my CDP & turntable. Plenty of power there! (That's where the trouble began, though. As soon as I got the 1152DC I almost immediately went looking for speakers!)

I like the HD600s alot. They are open-back, though, so if anyone is close to you they will definately hear your music. If you are heavy into bass, you might want to look for HD650s. I haven't heard them myself, but they are often described as "darker", which might indicate a bit more bottom than the HD600s. I find my HD600s very open (great soundstge) & neutral sounding. Someday I'd like to drive them with a small, tube headphone amp to see how they sound.

Just an FYI, I have a pair of HD280PROs that I use without amp for monitoring video production & editing. They are very efficient & really don't need an amp if you are running right out of the computer. Sound is very "clean" IMO, but might not be as "musical" as the HD600s if you know what I mean.

Frank W.

Thanks for the responses so far.

These will be used with my laptop only (maybe with an Ipod if I ever get one). MP3's and lossless files as a source.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 580 on loan which are open backed. I tried them and they did not bother my wife. I do not listen loud. I really like how the open back headphones have a wide and deep soundstage instead on one that is inside of your head. They seem more natural to me and voices are spooky real sounding, they remind me of high end speakers.

The 580's have a great sound and are not as difficult to drive as the 600's, but they are out of production. They have nice detail and a very smoth tp end. Maybe ebay.

I did read about a cheap Nuforce UDAC that is all the rage right now on Head-Fi, and it will drive the HD600's and 800's for my listening levels and is only $100. I will not go above the HD600's because of the source material.

. . . I really like how the open back headphones have a wide and deep soundstage instead on one that is inside of your head. They seem more natural to me and voices are spooky real sounding, they remind me of high end speakers.

That's exactly how I feel about my HD600s.

The 580's have a great sound and are not as difficult to drive as the 600's, but they are out of production. They have nice detail and a very smoth tp end. Maybe ebay.

The 600s are not as difficult to drive as you might think. That's one of the reasons I went with them over the 650s. A dedicated amp can really light them up, but you don't need to go high-end with them. As I said, the Total Bithead really matches up well for AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, high bit-rate ACC & MP3 files. For playback, I use iTunes on a PowerBook. Personally, I rip ALAC filles using an app. called Max.

I did read about a cheap Nuforce UDAC that is all the rage right now on Head-Fi, and it will drive the HD600's and 800's for my listening levels and is only $100. I will not go above the HD600's because of the source material.

Not familiar with the Nuforce UDAC, but Head-Fi has a tendency to fawn all over the "flavor-of-the-day". That said, there's a lot of useful info there, especially when you're just getting seriously into headphones. Don't get caught up in the occassional hype over the latest! greatest!, though. Lots of excellent choices out there.

Frank W.

There are a lot of times that I go to bed and don't want to watch tv, so streaming usic on my laptop is perfect while I'm on the internet. I have a pair os Sennheiser HD433's that I bought many years ago that are OK, but really uninvolving and just not that good.

I borrowed a pair of Sennheiser HD 580's today and they are a huge step up in performance. Nice detail and separation and very laid back top end (which I like, I'm a vinyl guy) but weak in the bass. Now I know that these are hard to drive and an outboard amp is recomended, ut I'd rather not go there. I just want to plug into my laptop and listen if possible. I have a multimedia HP notebook that is pretty decent, but I am stuch with its headphone jack.

Any reccomendations? The Sennheiser 595's are supposed to be easy to drive, but have a bright top end. I'd rather avoid bright because to me that equals fatigue. I also like the sound of the 580's being open backed, they seem to have a wide soundstage that is kind of nice.

I've been to Head-fi, way too much info. Sensory overload.

tigerwoodKhorns,

First let me say that with a header stating "anyone have some nice cans", I just cannot believe that Jackson Bart hasn't jumped all over this one> Is he in the hospital??

Secondly, when I was down in San Antonio just prior to Christmas, I was just across a hi-way from a high end stereo botique and made 4 dedicated trips just to listen to the 600s and the 650s. I don't remember the brand, but they had a two box dedicated headphone amp that was $1,000 a box for the two silver boxes, at least that was what they were trying to get. I compared the 600 and the 650 twice, but not having free access to my own discs and being able to unplug one and plug in the other taking time, I finally bought a dual 1/4 " splitter and compared them by just changing the set on my head repeatedly for two more listening sessions. My conclusion is that the 650 does sound better in the vocal / mid section. Almost twice the price as nice? I am not sure, but I honestly did buy the 650s, probably because of the prestige as much as the sound improvement. I will also confess that I found the cheaper 600s more comfortable.

Roger

I am always wary of teh flavor of the month club, but the Benchmark CAD1 was also a flavor of the month once.

The NuForce uDAC is $99, uses a DAC chip used in $400 DAC's and according to the Head Fi Guru's, will drive the HD600,s 650's 800's and 1400's. I do not listen loud, especially with headpones (I did too much damage when I was young).

It works off of the power from the USB so it is portable and easy to use. 2V output.

I have only heard the 580's and like them. The 600's are about $290 bottom price new and the 650's are about $340. I am not in a rush, but if these are unbeatable prices I will make a move.

Beyerdynamic is what ive found most sites to say are one of the best but ive never heard them, but i can tell you that i love my ultrasone pro-750 set that i have.

first time i put them on and tried som songs trough them i absoultly fell in love with the sound. clean natural voices beautiful highs ans nice low end. Of course this is all depending on how well the music was recorded.

Tiger,

If you like tubes and Klipsch, the Grado headphones are very enjoyable. Even the economical SR-80 is a nice pair. You'll get more detail as you go up the line. Add a tube headphone amp and you'll really have something special.

Thanx, Russ

I'm glad that you brought this up Russ.

The Sennheiser 580, 600, 650, 800 (but not the 555/595) are know for being smooth, laid back and sweet on the top end. Kind of like the British sound or maybe Sonus Farber. The Grados are suposed to be more "exciting" and lively on top. I am 99% vinyl and even my digital has been put together to analog sounding, so I'd say that I'm more in the British camp and Sennheiser 600 league. The 580's sound great to me but need some amplification for better bass response.

I found some posts on Head Fi were a member has tested quite a few combo's and he recommends the HD600 over the HD650 because the 600's work well with a variety of amps that he has tested and the 650's have had success with only a few amps all of which were very pricy. Not my words, his. I also learned that the 600's are also an improved version of the 580's and use the same drivers. Because I have 580's on loan, this makes my decision very easy as I really like the 580's. I kow that this is just one man's opinion but at least it is something to go by.

As soon as my account clears I will post there to see what amp I should use or if the NuForce uDAC is all that I need for my limited purpose.

I should have mentioned (as others have) that the 600s are VERY comfortable (which is a BIG deal for me). Currently I use them here at the iMac, plugged right in. Plenty loud for me.

I agree. The 580's do not feel like you have anything on, or at a minimum are less noticable than a baseball cap. They also play plenty loud with my computer headphoen jack, I just noticed that they are a little light in the bass. Supposidly with a headphone amp that will change. I really do not want to dump that much into this if not needed. I also cannot find an equalizer, or any tone controls in Vista for my sound card on my laptop.

Is there a download that I can use that (1) will work in vista and has an EQ, (2) will not make everythign more difficult to use, and (3) will not make me co crazy trying to install using Vista. #3 is probably not avoidable.

I find it interesting that there are so many Senn fans here - I always felt they were dark or veiled sounding (esp. the 650), which seems to be opposite of wat we want in our speakers! I would have guessed there would be more Grado fans here, actually.