Suggestions For Surround Sound Speakers Requested

Gilbert

Just a short note to see what the guys in HOME THEATER think are the cat's asss when it comes to inconspicuous home theater speakers. I want top notch sound quality all the way around. I already have 2 subs, so what I'm planning on purchasing are 2 front surronds, 1 center, 2 mid surrounds, and 2 rear surrounds.

In the past, for my HTS I've used Khorns (fronts), and Cornwalls (for everything else), but I've sold a lot of that gear, and want something less intrusive, but like I said, mighty clean sounding. I'd like to keep the budget under $5 grand, but might be willing to spend a bit more if it's dabomb..... $7500 would be absolute maximum.

Sub's are (1)- 15" Velodyne HGS Power sub and (1) Sunfire signature cube.

Go with an all Klipsch in-wall system.

I think the Klipsch Ultra-2 system array is beyond your budgetary contraints and may still be obstrusive.

Since you have plenty of subbage, perhaps some vintage a/d/s speakers all around like the L-300E's which pack quite a punch for their tiny size and can be painted & bracket mounted on walls. (Note: Newer models are made by DEI Electronics and are junk compared to their precessors)

Gilbert,

What is your size limit? What do you consider inconspicuous? You're used to Khorns and Cornwalls so maybe a reference setup would work for you. I love heritage but the reference stuff is great for HT. If you can find a complete RF7 setup (with RC7/RS7s), it's much more streamlined than what you're used to and sounds great. It ain't small by any means, just tall and skinny. Even the bookshelf setup (RB7s instead of the RF7s for a smaller look) would sound excellent since you have the bass covered with those subs.

That's the extent of my Reference HT knowledge. You might have to go with the newer RF83 series if you can't find the RF7s but I'm guessing that would be a lateral move.

Good luck!

Yes. I just want to try something more discrete, less intrusive.

I loved my last system which was entirely Klipsch heritage..... and even the Heresys are too big for what i want in my new home. I want something discrete that's also a wolf in sheeps clothing. If such a system exist. If you know or have heard of something... please pass it on and post it here.

Thanx for the recommendation CB.

Hi Gary, I'm not truly limited on space, I've got plenty actually. I'm just tired of having those big speakers going to waste in a HTS. Yes the sound was killer, I enjoyed the old all Heritage system, but it's just way too much speaker. I don't watch TV that much anymore, avg. maybe 30 min to 1 1/2 hrs. max. weekdays, and if I stay home on the weekend and weather is bad, maybe 5x those figures.

I ditched most of my Heritage, but I kept a few, down to 3 pairs of Heritage. Thier for music systems only. I do also still have a pair of Academys, but my two little girls want them. But they would certainly be useable, I have the cabinet space for them directly over the TV.

Anyway, if I have to go above my target budget, how much more to get something that can fill a good sized HTS room with distinct 5.1 Surround Sound. Room is about 23ft x 25ft, ceiling is about 18ft. All surfaces are drywall, except for the back wall which is HTS cabinet work.

sorry for the slow response. this project isn't pressing right now, but I'll be getting a new TV in Feb. and would like to have everything to setup the HTS when it comes in.

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to these at a local store, very upgrade friedly if you don't have the cash to go full 7.1. Pretty impressive dorky looking speakers. The units are heavier than they appear, and you can buy components or full blown systems with choice of Denon or various Yamaha processors. These are decievingly good IMHO, better than decent... however, I'm going to keep looking.... but these are the best so far.

OrbAudio