Boffin Audio Labs Secrets Revealed

thebes

I've been on the track of this outfit for years. It's been rumors, followed by traces of smoke, blitzed with reams of media falsification, and drowned in false trails.

I finally struck pay dirt, through a judicial application of cash and a baseball bat, which lead me to a cave deep in the Carpathian Mountains. I evaded the guards, slithered through an air duct and found myself squarely positioned over "Gruss Gott Lab Number Drisse". The lab techs were off to lunch so I grabbed a couple of quick shots, a progress report, schematics and a pretty fresh glazed donut with a post-it on it stating "fur Hanz".

Just then the alarm tripped and off I went, 40mm rounds buzzing past my ears like the sound of death come-a-calling.

Later winging my way back to the good ole USA, I was reading over the stolen info and much to my surprise and alarm, I determined that Boffin Labs was deep into steam cleaning lps.

Not only had they created a diabolical machine to undercut decades of diligent work by the "Snap, Crackle, Pop Corporation", they had produced a machine that was tube rectified.

I went to work and using the purloined schematics, I soon had concocted my own machine and began testing.

Now this subject had been explored before, notably by Americas own boffins, the Klipsch Forum (http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/112677.aspx?PageIndex=1) but despite tales of melted wax, the process had indeed become wide-spread among the glitterati of the audio world.

The question was, of course, amongst the confusion and fog that constitutes authoritative discourse in the la-la land of wishful audio thinking, did steam cleaning in reality constitute more than the latest snake oil.

Turns out, that with some caveats it does.

First, steam cleaning does not appear to wash out the highs. Second, it can do a slightly better job of cleaning than a simple wash and vac. Third, less pops and crackles. Fourth You're kidding yourself that it can take a beat up record, as opposed to dirty, and make it sound like new. Can't. Won't. Fifth, works best in conjunction with cleaning fluids, brushes and a good vacuum.

I'll be going back soon. I've heard they are working on flexible vinyl.

post-14801-13819538849834_thumb.jpg

post-14801-138195542157_thumb.jpg

post-14801-13819567082402_thumb.jpg

First, steam cleaning does not appear to wash out the highs. Second, it can do a slightly better job of cleaning than a simple wash and vac. Third, less pops and crackles. Fourth You're kidding yourself that it can take a beat up record, as opposed to dirty, and make it sound like new. Can't. Won't. Fifth, works best in conjunction with cleaning fluids, brushes and a good vacuum.

Can the steam cleaner warp records from getting the nozzle too close?

naffing about,in the world of Espionage again ?

Yes indeed, but just a tot. Between the guns, the girls and the cars there's little time for playing around with music and stereo equipment. So when I done my tux and strap on my secret watch, I do try to do audio related capers that ultimately save the world.

Mike, I found that you should give it a quick blast before you hit the record, because with the first blast of steam a pretty good sized dollop of water hits the platter, and maybe that could warp a record, but otherwise it doesn't appear so.

As part of my tryouts with this gizmo, I took a warped record and put copious amounts of steam on the it trying to get it to lie a little flatter with no luck at all. But, it did lead me to peculate that if you could use two sheets of thick glass, and add two sturdy wet paper towels on either side of the record, maybe the steam it would produce in an oven would be flatten a record better than simply placing it between two pieces of glass. No glass the right size to give it a try, so if you have same give it a go at say 250 degrees.

Thebes, if you change out the power cord to some highfalutin design you'll experience liquid mids, misty highs and damp lows. Try those exotic wire hanger designs you were applauding here. Attach a male plug on the end of two wire hangers (uninsulated of course), and attach the other end to said steam cleaning machine. (Kids don't try this at home). Fill machine with water, plug in. Report back with your findings. [;)]

Mike, I found that you should give it a quick blast before you hit the record, because with the first blast of steam a pretty good sized dollop of water hits the platter, and maybe that could warp a record, but otherwise it doesn't appear so.

As part of my tryouts with this gizmo, I took a warped record and put copious amounts of steam on the it trying to get it to lie a little flatter with no luck at all. But, it did lead me to peculate that if you could use two sheets of thick glass, and add two sturdy wet paper towels on either side of the record, maybe the steam it would produce in an oven would be flatten a record better than simply placing it between two pieces of glass. No glass the right size to give it a try, so if you have same give it a go at say 250 degrees.

Thanks. I was thinking about getting one of them little steam jobbies.

I've had pretty good luck with Titebond II woodglue on records with grunge that is stuck in the grooves, that typical washing won't get. It seems to help surface noise, making a couple records I have pretty much quiet. (for a record...) It seems to work best if it gets a good bond. Takes about 8 hours for the best peel......

It's not without it's caveats. I did hardwood floors enough to know that woodglue isn't really a consistent thing, it can vary between samples. Depending on the glue I suppose.......we used glue that was affordable, but not worthless for the job. If it freezes, it can be junk....

Sometimes the stuff would level and dry nice, sometimes it sucks. The Elmers wood glue doesn't work as well for records, it can get brittle and flake, and not bond very well.

The static charge from this process is atrocious. It can be combated with wetted towels or whatnot, but it don't solve the problem. You end with little flakes of glue stuck on the record, that have to rinsed or blown off.

If the glue is a good batch, you can peel the mask in one piece. But it is never always the case. There will always be a bit of excess glue left over on the record, and always on the side of the run-in groove. And you gotta pick it off....and then wash the record off.

It can really help a record the appears to look clean, but has a bunch of snap crackle and pops. I've dumped enough money on woodglue to cover the price of a steamer. And the steamer sounds like it can do just as a good job if not better than the glue.

And without the messy BS.....

Bummer about the "Right This Minute" fiasco. You'd better do something, because your "right this minute" thread and it's ditto buddy are sinkin' fast......