Receiver question

dissension

I am new to the forums so I hope this is in the right place. I just recently purchased a Klipsch refrence setup for my HT and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a decent 7.1 AV receiver that decent sound and good video upscaling. I am trying to stay under $800 if possible.Any help would be appreciated.

(RF-62x2 RC-52x1 RS-52x2)

Brands that many on here use with good results are Denon, Yamaha, harman/kardon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite.

I wouldn't count on a receiver to provide good video upconverting. All HDTVs will upconvert every signal coming into them to whatever their native resolution is. That should be the job of the TV or video source, not your receiver.

I am new to the forums so I hope this is in the right place. I just recently purchased a Klipsch refrence setup for my HT and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a decent 7.1 AV receiver that decent sound and good video upscaling. I am trying to stay under $800 if possible.Any help would be appreciated.

The Onkyo 807 and the Onkyo HT RC 180 look hard to beat, feature wise.

Most Denons I have had on horns were thin and bright.

Harman Kardon receivers are low negative feedback designs, capable of great sound,'Look at the Harman Kardon AVR 247 for a STEAL right now.

You can get them as low as 180.00 refurbished, if ya loook ??

Pay NO atttention to the wattage ratings, high current is the key, one of these AVR 247's rated at 50 wpc will smoke many lesser receivers rated at 100 wpc.

WEIGHT is also something to look for, the AVR 247 weighs 35 lbs, a lot for a mid priced receiver, and it has pre outs on ALL channels, and Logic 7 too.

I have not had that experience with Klipsch reference series and Denon.

I have not had that experience with Klipsch reference series and Denon.

I had older Denon 5600 and 3600 .... Perhaps new Denons sound better ?

Hey, check out the Harman Kardon DPR 2005's ? These dudes are totally digital all da way to the amps!

Not made anymore, no HDMI, but they are truly unique, in their own way.

Man I will give you my 2 cents. I worked for a dealer for about 4 years that sold Onkyo. I was never really impressed with the power of the unit and thought they lacked options. But still a solid unit. I have owned a couple of denons not the new ones but for a set of rf3 or rf82 or the monster 83's just not enough power for me. I like the sony es units due to all the options for changing the sound to match your speakers. I know, i searched for the perfect av unit for along time but have come up with the conclusion that i want a processor and good amps for my speakers. This way you get dedicated units that have strengths in certain areas. AV units just do so much in that one box that they have to cut some stuff back and only one power supply to run all that stuff. There is a wealth of knowlege here and lots of people that would love to help a klipsch brother get the system they want. Just ask and we will help. Best of luck!!!

Man I will give you my 2 cents. I worked for a dealer for about 4 years that sold Onkyo. I was never really impressed with the power of the unit and thought they lacked options. But still a solid unit. I have owned a couple of denons not the new ones but for a set of rf3 or rf82 or the monster 83's just not enough power for me. I like the sony es units due to all the options for changing the sound to match your speakers. I know, i searched for the perfect av unit for along time but have come up with the conclusion that i want a processor and good amps for my speakers. This way you get dedicated units that have strengths in certain areas. AV units just do so much in that one box that they have to cut some stuff back and only one power supply to run all that stuff. There is a wealth of knowlege here and lots of people that would love to help a klipsch brother get the system they want. Just ask and we will help. Best of luck!!!

Man, remember the Sony 555 ES ?

My 2 cents on upconverting.. I bought my Marantz and was not expecting much but the guy who sold it told me I may see an improvment in video quality and he was right. I have a mitt 52" DLP 1080p and it is a noticable difference watching TV and blu Ray.. A good budget Marantz would be the model below which would be the 5003 or 5004. I have had Denon prior 2 others and my Marantz blows all of my Denons out of the water. For the money I think they are the best.. It's a good low budget high end reciver.IMHO

It is going to depend on what kind of TV you have..

You won't find Marantz in your regular box store. It's worth going to a local deal and then buying something online. I got a great deal on a demo model, good thing to ask when your there. A few other cool fetures that some units like mine have are speach calibration. If a tv station has the speach a tad off, you know when there line stops and there lips keep moving.. The marantz will fix that, also when a comercial is louder than the show it will self level which is nice...

You won't find Marantz in your regular box store. It's worth going to a local deal and then buying something online. I got a great deal on a demo model, good thing to ask when your there. A few other cool fetures that some units like mine have are speach calibration. If a tv station has the speach a tad off, you know when there line stops and there lips keep moving.. The marantz will fix that, also when a comercial is louder than the show it will self level which is nice...

Also, watch Craigslist (if you're not opposed to used). I picked up a 3 yr old "$2000 top of marantz's line at the time" for $500 bucks. Doesn't support the latest trueHD audio formats (neither does my non-slim ps3), but otherwise it's a dream. I managed to trade a laptop i wasn't really using, so no money out of pocket.

My 2 cents on upconverting.. I bought my Marantz and was not expecting much but the guy who sold it told me I may see an improvment in video quality and he was right. I have a mitt 52" DLP 1080p and it is a noticable difference watching TV and blu Ray.. A good budget Marantz would be the model below which would be the 5003 or 5004. I have had Denon prior 2 others and my Marantz blows all of my Denons out of the water. For the money I think they are the best.. It's a good low budget high end reciver.IMHO It is going to depend on what kind of TV you have..

I too liked the Marantz, but it does not have Audyssey DSX Surround [:@] It does have Dolby IIz, but INHO it is no match for the incredible room expanding propertys of the Audyssey DSX surround system. I have the Mitsu 73 inch that upsamples all inputs anyway.

I use the Mitsu with an old CD/DVD Pioneer mega changer into the composite inputs of Mitsu, works fine. I also have a progressive scan single DVD player that upsamples, it is an NEC that ups to 1080, with HDMI, but I prefer to let the Mitsu do the upsampling instead, it just loooks a little better to me. I am so very sold on the Audyssey DSX surround scheme. One I heard it, I was hooked, it uses both front and side speakers to really make walls disappear.

Better Hurry, if it is a Marantz you seek http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5004/Marantz/SR5004-Dolby-TrueHD-PLIIz-/-dts-HD-MA-AV-Receiver/1.html

IF it had Audyssey DSX Surround, I would buy this, and never look back. I had a full blown Yamaha DSP system, with front effects channels and all. I do not want to give that up. True, Dolby IIz does use front effects speakers, and I have heard it, vs Audyssey DSX. It was simply no contest, to my ears, although Dolby IIz is a great leap foreward for Dolby. Some of you may have little idea who Tomlinson Holman is, but us senior citizens dont.

That makes a good segue into my situation and question: I'm in the process of replacing my old HD setup built around Infinity RS II's with one built around RF-83's, RC-64, and RS-62's. The two pieces I'm currently planning on keeping are the SVS 20-39pc sub and my Sony da333ES receiver. Anybody have any opinions for or against?

That makes a good segue into my situation and question: I'm in the process of replacing my old HD setup built around Infinity RS II's with one built around RF-83's, RC-64, and RS-62's. The two pieces I'm currently planning on keeping are the SVS 20-39pc sub and my Sony da333ES receiver. Anybody have any opinions for or against?

I MIGHT have the model number wron, but if ya go to the sony forum it is the old Sony they ALL rave about, copper chassis and all with spontaneous twin drive, HUGE Caps/heatsinks, able to dropa BUNCH of current in a hurry! I had one, and stupisly let it get away, it rivaled my Luxman M 117 and Moscode 600 in sound quality, imaged like a mother, on my old Celestion SL 600's!

Real 3 dimensional, balls, never ending power.

I have had my Old Yamaha RX V1 for years, untilI heard Audyssey DSX, now I MUST have it!

I think the other guys on the forum are more UP on the newer receivers ?

I WAS happy with the 60 lb Yamaha RX V1, until I heard Audyssey DSX.

OMG, you LUCKY dude! Use fronnt effects speakers, and simply move your rears to the SIDES of the room. An entire soundscape awaits you! IME, Rears only work well if they are FAR behind you, and there really is little rear info anyway, except a pan or two in many movies. The side speakers in the Audyssey DSX system make the walls melt away, and the front effects speakers add depth and height to the soundscape. We watched The Chronicles Of Riddick with Vince Diesel, and the spaceships sounded like htey were coming from outside the room walls! It also works in 2 ch stereo too I am told ?

What receiver do you have, Denon or Onkyo, you lucky Dude ?

I came across this thread, and have to chime in.

I just purchased my Onkyo TX SR702 via Craigslist for $140. This thing went for $700 and up new.

It is 7.1; 100WX7. I will say it weighs over 40 pounds; and it blows my old Kenwood 5.1 away; whether stereo or surround; DTS; Dolby or any of the other surround effects/ settings. I doubt I could have done much better for so little coin......

My point? Perhaps slightly used may be the way to go.......

Good Luck!

I'm on my fourth Onkyo HT Receiver since 1992. Got the 806 from Crutchfield last Christmas for $699. Plenty of power, a zone 2 or biamp option if you don't want 7.1 and the Audessey calibration is incredible. It made a hugh difference in the balance of the system! Highly recommended.

Herb

I'm on my fourth Onkyo HT Receiver since 1992. Got the 806 from Crutchfield last Christmas for $699. Plenty of power, a zone 2 or biamp option if you don't want 7.1 and the Audessey calibration is incredible. It made a hugh difference in the balance of the system! Highly recommended.

Herb

Does it sound good on horns is the question ?