Khorn problems ?

davis419b

I have 4 khorns in my h/t room. I use the fronts as mains for 2-channel. I have been hearing a pop when I turn the volume to about 30% in them. I am using a sansui 8080db fully restored 1 year ago. I put another execellent 8080db in its place and tried it again, same pop. I switched to the rears same pops. I am baffled, any help would be appreceiated.

Don

When volume is at 20% there is no pop. When i raise it to 30% the speakers start to make the popping noises !

Um ... when this "popping noise" starts, is the audio already so astonishingly, unbearably loud that there is blood oozing out of your ears?

Just my usual trouble shooting questions:

1. Did this system ever work without problems?

2. What was the last change before the problem developed.

3. It could be that the amp design is not like the 4 ohm load of the K-Horn. It seems like some D.C. offset is being developed. Of course it is unwise to use the K-Horns as a guinea pig for testing the amps. And maybe the same can be said of challenging the amp too much.

4. Find another amp type and try that.

5. I doubt it is a crossover issue if all 4 K-Horns do the same things. BTW, do they all have the same crossover type?

6. Find some other speakers, preferably with 4 ohms, and see if the amp causes the same thing to happen.

Excuse if this is obvious.

Best,

Wm McD

post-2552-13819539758122_thumb.jpg

post-2552-13819566751788_thumb.jpg

post-2552-1381956816257_thumb.jpg

When volume is at 20% there is no pop. When i raise it to 30% the speakers start to make the popping noises !

Um ... when this "popping noise" starts, is the audio already so astonishingly, unbearably loud that there is blood oozing out of your ears?

Its loud, but not that load even at 30%. Guess I need to get a db meter and find out how loud it really is !

Its loud, but not that load even at 30%. Guess I need to get a db meter and find out how loud it really is !

The reason I asked is that what you described seems to indicate that something is being overdriven. Either you're overdriving the amplifiers severely and they're clipping very ungracefully, or they don't like the impedance of the load, or you're bottoming-out the woofers with extremely low frequencies, or something along these lines.

The reason I asked is that what you described seems to indicate that something is being overdriven. Either you're overdriving the amplifiers severely and they're clipping very ungracefully, or they don't like the impedance of the load, or you're bottoming-out the woofers with extremely low frequencies, or something along these lines.

I have only been into this addiction for about 2 years. I own aLOT of Klipsch speakers and vintage 70,s receivers and there is alot I do not know about either. The 8080db has power meters. Is it possible to overdrive an 85wpc receiver when only using about 50wpc ? It is my understanding that these Sansui,s do handle 4 ohm loads. I wasnt aware that the K-horns were 4 ohm, the specs say 8 ohm. I am a very big bass fan but would not have thought in a million years that an 85wpc receiver could bottom out the woofers in the all mighty Khorn. Just curious ?

The 8080db has power meters. Is it possible to overdrive an 85wpc receiver when only using about 50wpc ?

Absolutely. The meters do not respond as fast as the audio. So with the meters showing 50W, the peaks can be considerably higher than that (especially with the tiny meters on the 8080db).

It is my understanding that these Sansui,s do handle 4 ohm loads.

A quick Web search only turned up 8 Ohm ratings. It doesn't look like Sansui ever mentioned 4 Ohm ratings. Some amps are really unhappy with 4 Ohm loads.

I wasnt aware that the K-horns were 4 ohm, the specs say 8 ohm. I am a very big bass fan but would not have thought in a million years that an 85wpc receiver could bottom out the woofers in the all mighty Khorn. Just curious ?

I'm not saying that it did. I'm just saying that it's one of many possibilities. Cone excursion can become very large in a horn woofer at frequencies below cutoff.

The 8080db has power meters. Is it possible to overdrive an 85wpc receiver when only using about 50wpc ?

Absolutely. The meters do not respond as fast as the audio. So with the meters showing 50W, the peaks can be considerably higher than that (especially with the tiny meters on the 8080db).

It is my understanding that these Sansui,s do handle 4 ohm loads.

A quick Web search only turned up 8 Ohm ratings. It doesn't look like Sansui ever mentioned 4 Ohm ratings. Some amps are really unhappy with 4 Ohm loads.

I wasnt aware that the K-horns were 4 ohm, the specs say 8 ohm. I am a very big bass fan but would not have thought in a million years that an 85wpc receiver could bottom out the woofers in the all mighty Khorn. Just curious ?

I'm not saying that it did. I'm just saying that it's one of many possibilities. Cone excursion can become very large in a horn woofer at frequencies below cutoff.

I pulled the manuel out for the 8080db and it says 8ohm. I also have a 7070 and pulled that manuel out and looked at it. It says 60wpc @ 8ohm and 60wpc @ 4 ohm. It seems strange that less powered 7070 can take 4ohm loads but not the more powerful 8080db. I also have a 9090db that I am going to hook up and try it. I like powerful BASS !

davis419b likes his bass LOUD! I might suspect you are clipping your amps. Don't you have your bass boosted? If so, set all your EQ and additional bass to flat, or normal. Then gently raise the volume to where you are hearing the pop. You didn't do this after coming back from a race did you?

davis419b likes his bass LOUD! I might suspect you are clipping your amps. Don't you have your bass boosted? If so, set all your EQ and additional bass to flat, or normal. Then gently raise the volume to where you are hearing the pop. You didn't do this after coming back from a race did you?

No Rudy, I gave up racing for Klipsch. I have the loudness on and the bass turned up a couple of notches from flat. I like it when my hat moves around on my head while listening to music. After racing for 15 years I have to listen to it loud to make that happen. An 1,100hp BBC always made my hat move around without any hesitation, just trying to get that same experiance with my Khorns. Nice to hear from you Rudy ! Really enjoyed listening to your system even though it didnt make my hat move !

I know.....the pleasures of a solid bass wave making your hat move! However, just for testing purposes, set everything to flat and definately turn off the loudness. Then try that volume level again. I highly encourage you to get a dB meter, Rat Shack will be fine for now, so you can measure how loud is loud!

A pop at that dB level is not good for your speakers, not to mention your ears.

Something else to think about is to hook up the amp or receiver to one of your many other Klipsch and see if the same pop happens. The idea is to first track down where the problem is, then work on the problem.

I know.....the pleasures of a solid bass wave making your hat move! However, just for testing purposes, set everything to flat and definately turn off the loudness. Then try that volume level again. I highly encourage you to get a dB meter, Rat Shack will be fine for now, so you can measure how loud is loud!

A pop at that dB level is not good for your speakers, not to mention your ears.

Something else to think about is to hook up the amp or receiver to one of your many other Klipsch and see if the same pop happens. The idea is to first track down where the problem is, then work on the problem.

I have another 8080db hooked up to my all-time favorite Chorus II,s and have the same problem.

BTW, I highly recommend a good....Large.....subwoofer for your main listening area, crossed as high as possible so you can abuse it for bass. Subs are much better a putting out large volumes of low bass than the Khorns. I never thought I would say that, but in your case, I know what you are trying to achieve. See if you can find a pair of SVS Ultra's driven with a Samson amp.....You'll love that.

BTW, I highly recommend a good....Large.....subwoofer for your main listening area, crossed as high as possible so you can abuse it for bass. Subs are much better a putting out large volumes of low bass than the Khorns. I never thought I would say that, but in your case, I know what you are trying to achieve. See if you can find a pair of SVS Ultra's driven with a Samson amp.....You'll love that.

Lets see ! That means I am going to have to but 8 SVS Ultras and 4 Sampson amps as I have Khorns in 2 rooms and Chorus II,s in 2 rooms. How much is that going to cost ! LOL