Question about K-22 woofer ef or r and K77 or K77-M tweeter

timyoung

I'm putting together my 1st HT and decided to use (5) Klipsch Heresy speakers based on advise from fellow members. I've owned Heresy's for more than 27 years and thought it sounded like a great idea. To date, I've been able to find (4) 1979 Heresy's. I found it interesting that when I opened them up, (2) had K22EF woofers and (2) had K22R woofers. Is there a difference? Since one will be my center channel, should I be looking for the R or EF? Also, I've been looking for the last speaker and found on eBay someone w/ a K77-m tweeter. Is there a difference in the k77-m and the k77? Thanks, Tim

.......when I opened them up, (2) had K22EF woofers and (2) had K22R woofers. Is there a difference? .......Thanks, Tim

The Rs are factory warranty replacements. One of mine is. I can't hear a diference. One of my woofers is a K-22-EF, too. I can't hear the difference between the -EF and the others, either. There is very little difference in DCR between a K-22-E and a -EF. I can't remember about the R.

........... Also, I've been looking for the last speaker and found on eBay someone
w/ a K77-m tweeter. Is there a difference in the k77-m and the k77?
Thanks, Tim

The K-77-M tweeter is a little smoother, but it's response extends closer to flat from 10k to beyone 15k. The K-77 tweeters start falling just above 10k. I can't find the graphs I thought I had of each.

The Rs are factory warranty replacements.

The K22Rs I have seen were Rolas, confirmed by an EIA code starting with 285 stamped on basket and dating from late seventies IIRC. I don't think they were replacements. I have, however, seen replacement woofers stamped with a big red R.

the rubber stamped (in red) R was for "replacement" the K-22-R was from Rola and was original equipment around 1980.

The Rola woofer seems to have an extended voice coil well in the motor - let me see if I can find a picture of this...

And John, I think that you are short changing both the k77 and the k77m.

k-77 to about 14k and the k-77-m to about 16k...

post-26147-13819540074064_thumb.jpg

post-26147-1381956714719_thumb.jpg

post-26147-1381956851581_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone... It's always fun learning from the forum members. I was able match my round k77's with a set of round k77's that Mike on the forum was selling. Just need the k55v w/ 700 horn and the woofer. From the above it doesn't sound like there is a lot of difference in the sound quality on the woofer between the k22ef and the k22r Rolas. Since I have (2) of each, would there be a preference? Thanks, Tim