KLF 20's HT

InVeNtOr

i wonder how the rs series sound with these. usually the surrounds are not that big of a deal. something that klipsch told me was for the heritage line, the THX speakers matched in tone more than anything.

i wonder which center channel sounds better, C-7 or RF-7? i guess it's up to the owners ears....lol

I have a KLF HT set-up and just love it. I use 20's for the mains, C7 for the center and S6's for the surrounds. I've personally never heard the RF-7's, so I can't comment on how they compare. I would say that I prefer the 3-way speaker vs. a 2-way design.

I would like to hear them side-by-side one day. For now, I'm very happy with all Klipsch and a new member of the F.U.G. with my Monte Carlo D's.

• Like 1

Sorry I'm not in your area - however I am absolutely mesmerized by my setup. I run it on 7 channel stereo and simply enjoy it every time. Just rented Terminator this past Saturday - full action sound. For surrounds, I personally have/like front firirng ports (Polk Monitor 70's) that to me add a bit of depth. The KSP-S6's are the "made for" surround, however I do not think surrounds or even rears (in 7.1) are nearly as important as the front 3.

Again - I am very very happy with my set up and from the center seat on the couch it is grand. The dog went to the door barking due to a door knock in the movie. Many times I hear noises that I'm not sure if they are from a movie or in the house. My room is 22'x22'x22'. Someday I will put 2 rears in the loft.

The C7 sounds great between the 20's... My brother runs that setup up front, but with some Definitive Technology surrounds. I've also had a C7 between some Forte II's and Chorus II's and it sounded very good as well. But a Forte II between Chorus II's up front, with the same in the back was the way to go. If you were going to do a KLF based home theater, then I would suggest KLF-10's or 20's for surrounds, or if space was an issue you could use C7's.

I had envisioned going from the Forte II's & Chorus II's in a 6.1 setup to an all KLF (20's or 30's) based home theater setup, but changed my mind and decided to start over completely. So I have a pair of KLF-20's that are not hooked up to anything right now. I'm in the DFW area, about 45 miles from Forney.

do you know when you might get those 20's hooked up? if you want to lug them around you can bring them to my house to compare them to 7's.

has anyone listened to a c-7 compared to a rf-7? i know that a upgraded rc-7 = a stock rc-64 so if anyone had a c-7 and now has a 64, your impute would be greatly appreciated.

i don't know if i'd go for a 7.1 of klf-20's. i don't think it would fit in my living room. sounds weird, but true, my surrounds need to be at least 48" high (sides) and no higher than 42" in rear. i did tests with them at different heights and it almost sounded like i was turning them off by moving them 6" up and down. right now they are in the position that sounded the best in my room.

i am real interest in the 3way speakers. don't really know which ones to go with. right now i am leaning toward the klf-20's because they have the look i like and a "center type" center speaker. i don't want to re-design or re-build my ET center, i just had it made. i am also very interested in putting in a ALK crossover in it too.

man if i get that bug, i am going to have to buy my wife 3 coach purses to get her not to kill me. lol.

I'd have you over if you weren't so far away

I have been using a pair of SS-3 surrounds with my KLF-30/KLF-C7 for a few years now. I think they matche up with the KLFs real well - at least good enough for me to leave them on with my 5.1 setup (despite the fact that an excellent pair of KSP-S6 have been waiting to be added as a part of 7.1 setup for almost a year.)

Don't know how rare these SS-3s come by but in my own experience, I've seen way more KSP-S6s than these.

My KSP-S6's surrounds sit on top of my Chrous II's right now. I wonder what it would sound like if I changed to the Chorus II's as surrounds and kept the 20's and C-7 up front for the mains and center? What do you guys think?

Give it a shot, I think you'll be suprised at how good (probably better) it sounds...

Years ago I started with some small Definitive Technology bipolar surrounds, even with my couch (directly to the side), about 4 feet off the floor... Sounded pretty good with my Chorus II's up front and C7 center. After a while though I wanted to try a "normal" floorstanding speaker as a surround to see if it made a difference, particularly since I also listened to some multi-channel SACD. So I picked up a pair of Quartets and put them on the same side wall, but about 2 feet farther back, behind my listening position... MUCH better in my opinion.

From there the experiment continued... next were Forte II's as the surrounds, with the same Chorus II's & C7 up front. Even better still. Finally I found another pair of Chorus II's and put together the following... Chorus II's L/R front, Forte II center with the other Chorus II's as L/R surround and the other Forte II as center back. This was great for everything from movies in 6.1 Dolby Digital THX, to multi-channel SACD.

Personally I think big, floorstanding speakers that match your front L/R combo is the way to go. And your Chorus II surrounds, IMHO will put the KSP-6's to shame. Even better would be to get the Chorus II elevated just a bit 6"-12" so the mid/tweeter has a clear view to your listening position. You can also set all your speakers to "Large" and take advantage of any bass available in the surround channel, freeing up your sub to just reproduce the LFE track.

do you know when you might get those 20's hooked up? if you want to lug them around you can bring them to my house to compare them to 7's.

I wouldn't mind bringing them over, but I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and lugging anything over 10lbs at this point is not allowed. Probably another 6 to 8 weeks before I can do any real lifting. I've got my brother coming over this weekend to help me move some other stuff around, so if I'm able to get these hooked up to something, I'll let you know.

sounds good. you know i can drive over and load them for you. sound fair to me. since i want them at my house i think i should have to lug them around. anytime you are willing and able to come over it will be a blessing. take care and let me know when we can get together.

The C7 sounds great between the 20's... My brother runs that setup up front, but with some Definitive Technology surrounds. I've also had a C7 between some Forte II's and Chorus II's and it sounded very good as well. But a Forte II between Chorus II's up front, with the same in the back was the way to go. If you were going to do a KLF based home theater, then I would suggest KLF-10's or 20's for surrounds, or if space was an issue you could use C7's.

I had envisioned going from the Forte II's & Chorus II's in a 6.1 setup to an all KLF (20's or 30's) based home theater setup, but changed my mind and decided to start over completely. So I have a pair of KLF-20's that are not hooked up to anything right now. I'm in the DFW area, about 45 miles from Forney.

Funny how in time how a lot of us end up with orphan Klipsch speakers that aren't being used but we keep them anyway!

I've got a KLF-C7 I'm not using I've been trying to talk myself into selling to fund my planned Forte II/Academy crossover and titanium tweeter upgrade.
Let me know if you're interested.

Funny how in time how a lot of us end up with orphan Klipsch speakers that aren't being used but we keep them anyway!

I've got a KLF-C7 I'm not using I've been trying to talk myself into selling to fund my planned Forte II/Academy crossover and titanium tweeter upgrade.
Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer, but I have already started over... the KLF-20's were moved out of the way to make room for a pair of La Scalas and a Parasound amp. Going 2-channel for a while. I plan to keep the KLF-20's for the other living room (eventually) and continue to sell off my remaining Forte's, Forte II's and a McIntosh MC7270 amp. Like you, I need to sell off this stuff to fund my upgrades.

I was thinking you might want to sell your 20's and Inventor could pick up them and my C-7 and have the front taken care of really quick.

Keeping the 20's and selling the Forte IIs. I'm going to have to hear a pair of KLF line to see what I'm missing. I just bought the C-7 because ...
I probably don't have to explain on this forum why I'd buy a Klipsch speaker I didn't need but did anyway!!!

It might eventually come to that, but I REALLY like the 20's and plan to hold on to them for right now. The Forte II is right there, but the 20's (for me) are just a bit better for the types of music I listen too. A little more dynamic, with a bit more "thump" and a bigger "soundstage"... particularly when they are on the long wall of a room. I've had them side by side and there's just that little something extra from the 20's (of course that's just my opinion, in my room, with my electronics). I think being taller than the Forte II's and putting the mid/tweeter higher up from the floor has a lot to do with it.

It might eventually come to that, but I REALLY like the 20's and plan to hold on to them for right now. The Forte II is right there, but the 20's (for me) are just a bit better for the types of music I listen too. A little more dynamic, with a bit more "thump" and a bigger "soundstage"... particularly when they are on the long wall of a room. I've had them side by side and there's just that little something extra from the 20's (of course that's just my opinion, in my room, with my electronics). I think being taller than the Forte II's and putting the mid/tweeter higher up from the floor has a lot to do with it.

I have 20's and I also have Forte II's. I have done some side by side comparing lately. I agree with gbpusa and his comparison. the 20's have a better soundstage and the bass (very room dependent) is consistently better in 9/10 situations. Of course, if you look at the old literature on the 20's, better imaging in a taller/narrower box with the same Klipsch hallmark attributes were the design goals. Klipsch said at the time...They succeeded.

I have 20's and I also have Forte II's. I have done some side by side comparing lately. I agree with gbpusa and his comparison. the 20's have a better soundstage and the bass (very room dependent) is consistently better in 9/10 situations. Of course, if you look at the old literature on the 20's, better imaging in a taller/narrower box with the same Klipsch hallmark attributes were the design goals. Klipsch said at the time...They succeeded.

How do you think your C-7 sounds with your Forte IIs? Have you tried the Forte IIs with the C-7 for HT use or just to compare the two in a 2 channel setting.

Before anyone says it I know the Academy is the matching center (I have one) but I've read on here a few guys have used the C-7 with Forte II and Chorus IIs and felt it was a good match.

How do you think your C-7 sounds with your Forte IIs? Have you tried the Forte IIs with the C-7 for HT use or just to compare the two in a 2 channel setting.

Before anyone says it I know the Academy is the matching center (I have one) but I've read on here a few guys have used the C-7 with Forte II and Chorus IIs and felt it was a good match.

I should add that I tried my C-7 between my Forte IIs the other day for music (7 channel) and for a few movies. I felt I could hear the dialog better with the C-7 than I could with my Academy. I didn't watch the same parts and switch between the two center or anything like that. I just noticed that over all I felt that it was easier to understand what people were saying through out the movies. I've read some say the C-7 is a little more forward than the Academy and maybe thats what I was hearing. I thought it blended in well between the Forte IIs for both music and movies.

I'd just like to hear another opinion from someone who has both the C-7 and a pair of Extended Heritage and see what they think.