Any wrestling fans? (college) The Big Ten Channel

Coytee

Just a heads up if you are.

I wrestled in HS (flopped around might be a better description!) and was going to join the team in college however, I had some issues and conflicts with classes...

On DirectTv, channel 610 they have The Big 10 Channel. Evidently this channel shows a ton of sports, as related to Big 10 schools. Yep, just looked, I think it's called "BTN"

I've hit my DVR to record all the wrestling shows and have enjoyed watching virtually every match. I didn't realize the Big 10 had so many schools ranked way up there nationally.

I grew up an Ohio State fan (football), I lived in Iowa for a while, lived in Indiana for a while, went to summer camps in Minnesota for several summers as a kid in elementary school so I'm finding myself rooting for each of these schools depending on who's wrestling who.

anyway, I enjoy watching the sport and find myself twitching in the chair. I literally stumbled onto this channel somehow, I forget. Since it was rather an accident on me finding it, I thought I'd bring it up for others in case there are any other Big Ten fans here. Again, this is not a wrestling channel at all, but rather a channel dedicated to Big Ten sports, including some girls sports, football, hockey, basketball, wrestling.....

Yes I have been a fan of Iowa wrestling since I was a kid. I grew up in northwest Iowa and wrestled in school. I have been trying to find the Iowa matches on BTN but havent had much luck. I set the DVR to record what was suppose to be a Iowa duel but BTN ran a basketball special instead. [:@] It was something about best Big 10 guard-forward combo. I am looking for another Iowa championship this year. It is hard to beat the Gable coaching lineage, now with the Brands' brothers IMO. I will have to check again for some duels, they should be more readily available with the big tournaments coming up.

northwest Iowa

I lived in Sioux City for a brief while after college. I immediately felt as though they welcomed me with open arms. Was one of the places I've lived that I've been the most fond of, even if my place of work was near enough to the stockyards that when the wind blew from the north.... well... never mind [+o(]

What made it really yucky was, the Stockyards were on one side of the street and (as I try to recall), a processing plant was on the other side of the street. If the winds blew one way, we got stockyard smells all day and when the winds changed direction, we got processing plant smells all day.... blech.

Commonly called sewer city

Ha! now I find out... 25 years later.

I looked at my scheduler and it looks like Iowa (#1 I think?) goes up agaisnt Ohio State (#4 I think?) this coming Friday!!!

says 2-19-2010, channel 610 at 11:00

Then, on 2/21, Iowa travels to Wisconsin, airing at 11:00 (both PM)

Sooooooooooo, looking like this Friday I'll be rooting agasint you and you againt me! lol

BTW, I worked at Payless Cashways when in Sioux City. Right after college and they dragged me from Ohio out to there for training. The very day I moved out, I started unloading the trailer (alone I might add). Sky was overcast and was maybe 5:00 or so, just starting to get dark.

I think within a freaking hour I was up to snow to my knees. It was unreal.

Yes Friday night will be a good one for sure. Iowa is most definitely #1[:D]. I will be interested to watch the Brent Metcalf match, he is a beast.

Yep I remember those snowfalls vividly. I am amazed; here in Lexington we have gotten 5 inches (total) of snow the last two days and they just called off school for the third day this week. Unreal.

I grew up in western Iowa and wrestled in high school and for a small NAIA college in Blair Neb. All about 1 1/2 hrs from Souix City. My brother in law has lived in Souix City for more than 30 years. He use to ref a lot of the matches in Northwest Iowa, He also refed the state tourney several years. My high school was a class 2 A. I only made it to state once my Junior year. I was a whopping 98 lb beast. I live about an hour from Iowa city now but I still don't make it over for any of the meets.