Center Channel for Klipschorns?

Edroom

Let me start out by saying I am an old 2 channel guy......I listen mostly to older rock and some fusion jazz, cd's and Vinyl. I have been a Klipsch lover and luster of Horns of 30 years, but audio technicaly speaking I am a relative novice reading some of the technical stuff on this site.

I recently moved up to the world of 5 channels with cornwalls as mains, heresys are rears and the center is a yamaha NS-ac300 it is a angled smallish table top center a friend gave to me, it all sounded pretty good, but I do not use it for HT, my LR is my sound room and I have another room for HT.

I just picked up my 30 year dream Klipschorns and I am veneering them over with Zebrawood (I am showing pics in my thread tips for moving) and trying to figure out what to do with the surrounds...

I did a search and read most of what looked relavent here already...but....

space is an issue.....

I have 1 LaScala which from my reading is the perfect center, unfortunatly there is no way in my LR that is ever going to happen, My wife is a wonderfull woman and is even thinking my monsterous speakers will be ok but the Lascala in the middle would not work.

Some reading suggests the Academy is the best center...why is that?

I have the heresys and could use one for a center, I could veneer it to match the horns, but i didnt read anyone suggesting that was a good idea and could possibly use them for rears if I can shoehorn them in somewhere.

so my questions are?

Should I just go back to 2 channel since I mostly listen to 2 channel recorded music anyway?

Should I just go to 3 channel, why? and if I do what should I use as a center?

If I use the heresys as rears, what should I use as a center and why? (no room for the cornwalls anywhere so dont suggest em even though that would be amazing!)

Thanks for your expert advice!

?

The Klipschorns need to be in corners so wouldn't they either be 14' or 30' apart? (On center, natch)

Cornwalls were originally designed as centers for Khorns, but they are no less imposing on a room than LaScala.

Here's you a plan: Get your Klipschorns into their corners and leave well-enough alone for a month or two. She'll discover how little they impose on her LR and she'll enjoy arranging doodads on top of each one (get glass tops made while you're at it) and placing plants or other furnishings in front of the bass bins. If you already have a TV between them, placing either a Cornwall or LaScala thereas a "TV stand" will minimize the impact.

Let me start out by saying I am an old 2 channel guy

Yeah, we all are! Edroom, you asked some really good questions, some of which you will have to answer for yourself. I'm a dedicated 2 channel guy so I would recommend setting up the Khorns and then spending time with the electronics and cables until you get a satisfying sound. I'm a critical listener so it takes me a little experimentation to get a set-up as good as it possibly can be. I'd also add a sub for the very lowest of frequencies. What are you going to drive the Khorns with, a good stereo pre-amp and monoblocks, I hope?

Thanx, Russ

Some reading suggests the Academy is the best center...why is that?

Avoid that like the plague. The Academy is a great speaker (I used to own three of them) however, it simply will NOT keep up with Khorns on the sides. I used mine with LaScalas and was never ever satisfied. I would seriously suggest using a phantom center over an Academy if that is the only choice.

If you have Khorns on the sides, then a LaScala (or a Belle if you can find one) will be your best bet for center, after that, bigger is better. Cornwalls followed by Heresy's. Don't even waste your time with an Academy.

My .02

my room is 14 feet wide and 30 feet long, there will be about 8 1/2 feet between them

Then from what you've described as far as what you can or cannot use, the best solution would be not to have one. Your Klipschorns will sound like you have a center speaker - they image incredibly well.

Thanks for the advice! I am going to start with the 2 channel and just play it by ear (pun intended), I am driving the system with a denon avr3000 and an adcom 5800. I have started looking at mcintosh....thinking about a tube preamp with the adcom for the power, it has a monsterous 300 watts and probably wont even shift out of A class power driving the horns.

thinking about a tube preamp with the adcom for the power

Tube pre-amp for sure, dump the Adcom or use it somewhere else. Quckie mini-mite monos would work.............. I'm no expert on Khorns but they won't suffer an amp that is less than the best, maybe the mini-mites might be a minimum and they are really nice amps.

Thanx, Russ

For HT Heritage- checkout my thread in HT. Just finished a Heritage 7 speaker setup. Coytee is absolutely correct. The center Lascala in HT with k hornsi s the ultimate- except for Jubs . I tried Corn as a center and It was perfectly aceptable. Howeveer the center Lascala made all of the difference. There is a near perfect horn match between the KHs and the LS. I have 3 Lascalas in my system. I built concrete block/wood/ felt risers to get th same horn height. Not mandatory but I swear it made a noticable difference- to me anyway.

Never tried 3 ch music listening??? Let us know how that works if you do it. Good luck with your project.