what to get for rears... (front 3 x RF82)

mmike189

I'm looking for advise on what to get for rear speakers.

I have AT screen with 3 x RF82 at the front, my couch is againt the wall with projector right above, left corner (from seeting position) is my audio gear, to the right is the door. I don't have too many options, but would like to get something with 7" or 8" woofers. I can do the inceilling or.....

thanks for any help.

Sounds like you have a dedicated room, maybe pull your couch up and place something on the wall your couch was on. Don't know if that possible, but maybe an option. If it's a dedicated "theater" room then who cares what it looks like, it's how it sounds and how the picture looks.

All our furniture looks the same when the lights go down![;)]

PS... I really like that front soundstage, I bet it sounds really good!

Sounds like you have a dedicated room, maybe pull your couch up and place something on the wall your couch was on. Don't know if that possible, but maybe an option. If it's a dedicated "theater" room then who cares what it looks like, it's how it sounds and how the picture looks.

All our furniture looks the same when the lights go down!Wink

PS... I really like that front soundstage, I bet it sounds really good!

i guess that's the point im trying to not so delicately make ..you seem to have put a lot of time and money into all other aspects, but are choosing to half-*** the rear surround portion of your experience. anyone who goes through the thought process of identical towers @ rf-82 caliber should know better than to place surrounds at the ceiling or in front of the listening position ..

I agree with several of the above comments.....

You have a dedicated HT room with a PJ, why would you denegrate the surround experience by neglecting proper surround? (not to be confused with rear/back speakers in 7.1 surround)

My 2 cents... It would be simple to hang a pair of RS42 or RS52 speakers on either side of the room in the required positions from the ceiling...get the necessary bracket/mounts, and you're good to go.....angle them downward towards the sweet spot in the seating area.

PS...you don't want seating hard against the back wall. Move the seating forward!! ....at least a couple/few feet depending on the room size will make a difference. Sitting against the back wall is terrible for acoustical performance reasons.

What do you have for a sub?

• Moderators

Wow, great looking front stage. You definitely have spent a lot of time, energy and money in a great room. I do have to agree with the rest by saying that having your seating on the back wall is not good for movies. I have two rows. My front row sounds great, back row isn't great for HT because there is no "surround" since the sound comes from slightly in front of me from my side surrounds and the back speakers plain fire above the back row and even the front row. They are pretty pointless until I can move them down in line with my new side surrounds.

Getting two side surrounds like the RS-52's would be great in your room and you definitely have the space on the side walls. You want to place them 2 - 3 feet above your ears and slightly behind your listening position on the side walls.

Once you add proper surrounds, you will totally take your theater to the next level and help it reach it's potential.

thanks alot for all the good words, yes the room is special to me. 3 RF82s are something... I never thougth I would make this much differance, but it does big time. For a long time I was not happy how front would not blend, friends were saying you don't no what you looking for :( maybe, but after this :). I don't think I'll ever have normal center, it will always be a tower. They sound like one and you can't even tell, they just blend so well.

That would be best place to set surrounds up, but I'm already 15ft. away from 135" (2:35:1) screen. I have to isue if I move the couch closer: I'm too close to the screen and because of the door to HT room one of the chairs would be in the way. What I might end up doing is moving the couch 1 foot or so from the wall and setup RBs on the stend just behind the couch.