Custom Mount for RS-35 Installation

Youthman

• Moderators

Since I have a sliding glass door right where my side surrounds need to be, my friend Shaun (same guy that helped me build my riser) built me a custom speaker mount and shipped it to me. It came in a few days ago and I decided to tackle mounting the side surrounds tonight.

Here is a shot of the bracket that Shaun built out of steel. It is very sturdy, yet lightweight. Since he is an engineer and I'm sooo not a handyman, not only did he build the bracket for me, he mailed me all of the hardware (screws, anchors, washers, bumpers, bolt, mason drill bit since I would be drilling into concrete and even a complete set of instructions and diagrams).

bracket1_small.jpg

The plan was to re-route my speaker wire and feed it down the bracket.

bracket2_small.jpg

We didn't want the speaker to get scratched from the mount so we decided on using plastic bumpers.

bracket3_small.jpg

I placed 8 plastic bumpers around the edges of the bracket.

bracket4_small.jpg

In order to get a flush mount, I removed the Keyhole Bracket on the back of the speaker.

bracket2_small.jpg

I used one 4" long, 1/4" 20 bolt to secure the speaker to the bracket.

bracket6_small.jpg

Here is a shot of the speaker mounted to the bracket.

bracket7_small.jpg

Since the theater room walls are exterior walls, behind the sheetrock I have 1/2" space, then concrete block. I used three 5/16" x 2-1/2" Hex Sleeve Anchors to secure the mount to the wall.

bracket8_small.jpg

When I originally ran my surround wires, I didn't know where exactly I was going to put them so we installed terminals. The speaker ended up being mounted a few feet to the left of the terminal so I drilled a hole in the back of the mount so that the speaker wire could come out of the wall and into the mount for a stealth install. Well...I ran into a snag when I drilled into the wall and hit wood. Top screw and bottom two screws went into the gap and then concrete but apparently I somehow mounted the bracket around the wood. I drilled two holes and still hit wood so I ended up having to drill a small hole above the bracket and fish the wire over to the hole, then grab it with needle nose pliers to pull it through (it was a tedious process to say the least). I removed the white jacket after pulling it through the hole since the red and black shielding would blend into my decor better than the white would.

bracket9_small.jpg

bracket10_small.jpg

And here are the final shots of the speaker installed over my sliding glass door.

bracket11_small.jpg

bracket12_small.jpg

bracket13_small.jpg

The other speaker was supposed to be an easy install since I only need to move the speaker wire over like I did with the first speaker and use an anchor and screw to secure the speaker to the wall since it has a keyhole bracket on the back of the speaker.....until I hit a vertical strip of wood (forget what they call it). This means I'll have to make a trip into the attic and pull the wire back up and move it over one cell and drop it down to the speaker. I'm saving that for another day.

Overall, I'm very pleased with how the mount turned out. I wish I could have mounted it a tad lower but wanted to mount just above 6' to prevent someone from banging their head on it. Hopefully it will be low enough and sound great.

The bracket is a really good Idea and it looks nice, I will have a window in the same spot with my theater so this gives me ideas. Quick question, why didn't you just mount it at the same level as the surround rears. I was always told this is how you want it but I could be wrong. I am also looking forward to hear your thoughts if the 7.1 is worth it. I know its a big deal now, but one of the home audio guys here at a local shop said he wouldn't waste his time on it. Just like to get other opinions. duder

• Moderators

Quick question, why didn't you just mount it at the same level as the surround rears.

Because I goofed when I mounted my rears. They are way too high. I really don't hear them since they are 8-9 ft in the air and shoot towards the projector screen, even though they are angled down at 10 degrees. I will eventually either move the back surrounds closer together and down in line with the side surrounds or I will sell the back surrounds.

I am also looking forward to hear your thoughts if the 7.1 is worth it.

I really don't think I will benefit from 7.1 with my back surrounds being where they are. If I move them down, it might be a different story but that may be a ways off before I tackle that project.

I know its a big deal now, but one of the home audio guys here at a local shop said he wouldn't waste his time on it. Just like to get other opinions.

He's not alone. There are plenty of guys that say the 7.1 isn't a HUGE upgrade (if any) over a good solid 5.1 setup. I have not heard a 7.1 so I cannot comment.

I'm hoping to go in the attic today to move my speaker wire over a column so I can mount my second RS-35. Then it's Master and Commander time!

• Moderators

Looks great Youth! Like it's floating, very cool!

Thanks Jrod. That was what I was hoping for. My wife thinks it's stupid. LOL. She thinks they should be above the curtain but I wouldn't be able to hear them up there.

I was about to ask you about M&C, really excited to hear what you think.

I've got it, haven't even opened it yet. Waiting to get the surrounds installed. I'm headed into the attic right now to see if I can fish the wire down and get the other speaker installed. We are having company over tonight, maybe we'll watch Master and Commander....or at least watch a few scenes from it.

If I had a nickel for everytime my girlfriend called my speaker endeavors stupid, I'd have a nice lookin' set of Khorns!![:P]

As for your friends tonight... Do it!! I demo'd M&C just yesterday for 2 of my friends, one of which said "I can never watch movies on my tv again."

I was like, "sorry, dude". I tried to get him to pick-up my old gear (rf-25's, rc-35, sub-10) when I upgraded last month, but he passed. Kicking himself now!!!

The room looks awesome Youthman.....

I'm new to the forum here but wanted to add a comment....I think the 7.1 discussion may depend a little on room size as well....Our HDT is actually our master bedroom..IT was an addition onto our house (before we bought the place). It rates around 1000 sq ft with very high ceilings.... I've purchased the RC 52 and am waiting on the RB 61's (should be here next week). I have been using just some mix and match speakers so I'm looking forward to some matching sounds..hah... My surrounds right now are a little high as well but what I've discovered is that the 4 surround speakers help fill this big room with sound.... The few Blu Rays that we have that are 7.1 capable are pretty awesome with all of the speakers firing and I can't wait to get surrounds that will match my fronts....

thanks for letting me chime in...

Kind of a long story cowboy. The lady that built owned and built our house, her first husband died. When she remarried her husband was into designing and building.. So he designed this barn shaped room that became the master bedroom. It is right at 1000sq ft. Part of that is a bathroom area and huge walk in closet. There is also a loft in the room. We have had a projector now for a little over a year and we project onto one of the side runs of the ceiling. Not exactly sure how big the image is but works well for the theater room in our place...