Cornwall floor standing speakers

Truther

I just bought a pair of very large (38"x28"x16") and heavy Cornwall floor mount speakers for $200 and wondering what exactly I have? On the back is a label that is signed by the inspector, etc. and states...Cornwall....Type CWR-15...serial #36732. The front (screen?) seems to be made of some kind of burlap or bamboo material? Does anyone have any information on these speakers so I can properly combine the necessary equipment to them for the best possible quality? The person I bought them from said he went to the factory in Ark., took a tour then bought these...Any information is greatly appreciated.

Pfffft! Round here Cornwalls are merely "midsized" [:D] Welcome to the madness.

What you have (at a very good price I might add) are very capable setero loudspeakers, altho I do not recognize the serial number or model number format.

For serial and finish (model) codes check here: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/103886.aspx

--Edit: According to this thread: http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/27402/229532.aspx CWR-15 look like "original Cornwall IIs" AKA "vertical cornwalls" in Raw Walnut finish. Note that there were TWO "Cornwall II" models, the Vertical Cornwalls from the 1960s (which you have) and the new Second Generation Cornwall from the1980s - 1990s.

Your description sounds like cane grills, BTW. Now lets' see some pics!

The Klipsch Forum picture posting is a little obtuse:The best way (IMHO) to post pictures here that I've found is to uplooad to www.tinypic.com with the "resize option" set to "Message Board" then copy and paste the resultant "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" to a new post here.

I just bought a pair of very large (38"x28"x16") and heavy Cornwall floor mount speakers for $200 and wondering what exactly I have? On the back is a label that is signed by the inspector, etc. and states...Cornwall....Type CWR-15...serial #36732. The front (screen?) seems to be made of some kind of burlap or bamboo material? Does anyone have any information on these speakers so I can properly combine the necessary equipment to them for the best possible quality? The person I bought them from said he went to the factory in Ark., took a tour then bought these...Any information is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you got a steal! CWR stands for Cornwall Walnut Rubbed oil.

Enjoy!

Enjoy!

Enjoy!

It that were the case it would be CWRO and there is nothing like that. It would be CWO. There also is no CWR that I could find either !

The efficiency of a speaker is expressed in dB/watt whenmeasured from a distance of 1 meter. All Klipsch Legacy speakers are efficient, some Very Efficient, and some Rediculously Efficient

There are a great many guys running under 20 watts and perfectly happy. I've got a 40 WPC NAD component amp that can drive Cornwalls to uncomortable levels... normal listening levels are 2-3 on a scale of 10.

Funny story: A family member could not figure out how to turn on my rig and left the volume dial at about 50% (5-6.) When I turned on the amp (without checking the pre-amp volume dial) and turned away my Cornwalls' lit up with so much volume that my great dane dam nearflew down two flights of stairs and was cowering in the basement. To this day if I turn on the stereo he scoots downstairs for an hour or so.

I guess my point is this: Buy quality watts, not necissarily big watts. I've driven Cornwalls with Onkyo 5.1 Home Theater Receiver (my impression was 'cold and clinical,') an even cheaper Sony HTR (cold and muddy) and an NAD 763 HTR (this I

enjoyed.) Prior to being sold, I ran the Cornies on an NAD 2040 fronted by a 114 pre-amp.This is a great combination for heritage... Others will chime in with their experiences I'm sure.

Another thought: Ask the "Which Receiver" question over in the 2-channel forum.

Here's a link to a google site: search "site:forums.klipsch.com cornwall recommended receiver"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1G1ACAWCENUS324&ei=FwmIS63IKtCelAfxt7nOAQ&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CDkQBSgA&q=site%3Aforums.klipsch.com+cornwall+recommended+receiver&spell=1

Enjoy!

It that were the case it would be CWRO and there is nothing like that. It would be CWO. There also is no CWR that I could find either !

You are right. I know that the raw birch Cornwall is a CBR, Iand I've seen CBO, but no CWR. Could it be that they are a rare raw walnut version?

Steal is the right word. Who sells a pair of CWs for $200? I'd buy 5 pair and put a set in every room. Of course, my wife would throw me out shortly thereafter and I'd find enough room for them in my new apartment.

Capzark-

LOL

With five pair you could live in the Cornwalls!

I don't have a receiver yet. I was going to try and get one today. Any suggestions? What to stay away from? 10 guage wire? Thanks for your input...!

If you plan to use the Cornwalls exclusively for music and not for Home Theater, avoid all Home Theater types of recievers!! Most just sound crappy.

Assuming you want to keep things on the simple side and not get into tube equipment, buy a decent mid-70s receiver. There are a lot to choose from and almost all will make the Cornwalls sing. I used a mid-70s Kenwood for 20 years and would still be happily using it if I never came across this forum.

Do some searching here and just make sure you buy something that you know is in good working condition. There are so many available, you might want to find something local so you can check it out for yourself.

Don't waste money on speaker wire. Home Depot 12 gauge is more than adequate. You can buy it by the foot. Make sure you have decent RCA interconnects. Don't waste money on Monster brand but buy something better than the cheapo stuff that comes with a DVD player. Best Buy or Radio Shack will have some decent yet inexpensive I/Cs in the $20 range for a 1 meter pair.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. I look forward to your pictures!

I don't have a receiver yet. I was going to try and get one today. Any suggestions? What to stay away from? 10 guage wire? Thanks for your input...!

If you plan to use the Cornwalls exclusively for music and not for Home Theater, avoid all Home Theater types of recievers!! Most just sound crappy.

Assuming you want to keep things on the simple side and not get into tube equipment, buy a decent mid-70s receiver. There are a lot to choose from and almost all will make the Cornwalls sing. I used a mid-70s Kenwood for 20 years and would still be happily using it if I never came across this forum.

Do some searching here and just make sure you buy something that you know is in good working condition. There are so many available, you might want to find something local so you can check it out for yourself.

Don't waste money on speaker wire. Home Depot 12 gauge is more than adequate. You can buy it by the foot. Make sure you have decent RCA interconnects. Don't waste money on Monster brand but buy something better than the cheapo stuff that comes with a DVD player. Best Buy or Radio Shack will have some decent yet inexpensive I/Cs in the $20 range for a 1 meter pair.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. I look forward to your pictures!

Exactly what Gary said. Congrats![Y]

tc