Help with my setup

Meegs

I'm an avid gamer and I have always wanted to invest in a decent home theater system. I just bought the RF-83's with my tax return so I would be more inclined to focus on my system. I have been looking at the Emotiva XPA-2 amp and have started saving towards it. I'm moving into a new place but space is limited so I decided to just go with a 2 channel for now but I want to be sure everything I buy can be used for 5.1 that I intend on getting eventually. My question is can I just use the amp to power my speakers or do I need a receiver and if so what should I get? The setup is going to be used mainly for gaming (Battlefield BC2 mainly atm) and music. Any suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

Welcome

Yes you will need a receiver or a preamp, I would go with the receiver first, just make sure you get a receiver that has pre-outs so you can connect separate amps later. With a receiver with pre-outs you can use a amp like the XPA-2, it connects thru the pre-outs and powers the 2 front speakers, and the amp in the receiver powers the rest of the speakers when you get them including as sub.

At first you can just use the receiver to power your 2 RF-83's and maby just work on getting the rest of the speakers before adding something like the XPA-2, by that point you may want to just get a 3 or 5 channel separate amp ?

I would say any receiver that has pre-outs made by the big name brands would work fine, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo just stay away from the cheaper Sony's or any of the off brands, and you don't need the high priced receivers just make sure it has all the space you would need to make the connections for your games and TV and CD/DVD players.

Meegs,

Welcome to the forum.

I have to totally agree with dtel. Get a good A/V receiver with preouts and get to listening and resume your gamer status asap. Here is a link to an excellent choice for 2 channel and 5.1/7.1 for a reasonable price. Add the rest of your speakers and an amp later as funds permit.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR6003/Marantz/Sr6003-Dolby-Truehd-/-Dts-hd-Master-Audio-Av-Receiver/1.html

Marantz + Klipsch = Music Utopia

Bill

Welcome!

If I read your post correctly, you have speakers but as of yet, no amp, receiver, etc. I also note that for now you want two channel and eventually move to 5.1.

I don't know when you want to go to 5.1 but the receiver/preamp/processor market is moving very fast. This means that you can get today's 'got to have' tomorrow for a great discount.

Gotta ask yourself a couple of questions 1) do I really want 2 channel or Home Theater? 2) If I get two channel today will I be merging the systems or have separate rooms for 2 channel and HT?

HT receivers are much more forgiving and are not as accurate in most common folks homes (I'm not talking mega buck home theaters) where as 2 channel stereo needs to be thought out and be accurate. With a HT you WILL need a decent sub woofer and the front three speakers really do need to match seamlessly; sides and back not so much.

Tell us what room size you have, listening tastes (hard rock at very loud volume or what?). Will this be a combined HT/stereo setup in the same room/system and how long before it's complete (never is done, I know first hand).

Give more info and stand by for an overload of opinions.

BTW my son is a gamer and I am a 2 channel guy at heart but the Xbox and PS3 can make you think th eworld is crashing down upon you with a really good 5.1 but your -83's will not be too shabby by themselves with a good power source.

You gotta have a budget, a big one, cause we here live to spend your money.

USNRET is daed on the money about yesterdays flagship being todays bargain. Watch for discontinued models in a receiver or a pre porocessor. You have jumped into the deep end with the RF83s. I had a set for a couple of weeks on loan. They do not like cheap siblings. If you plan on having an HT setup you MUST have an Rc64 center. you are on the right track with the emotiva- great stuff. Do not try to cut any corners. Stick with high end components. Denon Marantz or the others mentiones are very good- the Sony stuff is OK as long as you stick with only the top of the line models. Like Dtel said -avoid the cheap Sonys- If I had it to do over- I would go Marantz- if going with an HT receiver. Stick with high end stuff and outboards for every channel and you will be thrilled with the results. You will also need a high end sub t keep upwith the other components- Congrats on the Rf 83s

Thanks for the response USNRET! I was thinking about going 2 channel and getting the most out of the 83's first and building slowly onto that up to 5.1 eventually. The Marantz receiver linked above looks nice. I'm thinkin about going for it next. I just want Rob Zombie songs to sound insane. I'm only looking for a 1 room setup for now. My budget is pretty weak right now but I do set aside dedicated money until it's big enough for a purchase. I also play on xbox live and that's my main reason for investing.

Sorry Dude, I'm a 2 channel guy, I haven't owned a receiver for the last 35 years so I don't have much to add. I'd get a high quality 2 channel integrated amp but that will not get you a start on 5 channels. Thanx, Russ

Like the Emotiva XPA-2? I'm still learning. I appreciate all the responses btw.