Anyone want my place in line for Emotiva UMC-1?

carbon summit

I just got this email. I'm not sure if its a blanket email from some customer list or not:

Hello,

Please be advised we are installing the latest software updates on the UMC-1’s at the factory. This will cause a short delay of 2-3 weeks in your purchase. We apologize for the delay and we will send you an email as soon as we have a firm release date of your shipment.

Thank you for your continued patience and support.

Cathy Laufman

VP Operations

cid:image001.jpg@01CA71A2.EE7ED2D0

131 Southeast Parkway Court

Franklin, TN 37064

615 790 6754

cathy@emotiva.com

Got the very same message on 3/10....such ashame....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We just watched a movie and now I'm listening to some CDs. Really happy with my meager Yamaha 663. Just got the crossovers done in my Academy and front Forte IIs by DeanG and added the titanium tweeters from Bob Crites for all three front speakers. It sound great.

My question as far as the UMC-1 goes is do I want to open Pandora's box? I'm really happy with what I have but of course as soon has you hear better the bar is raised and there is no going back! My system is in my signature. It isn't anywhere near the top system on this forum I know but I'm happy with it. I kind of wonder if I'm better off not knowing if the UMC-1 is better!!!

ALL that matters is that you enjoy your set and don't feel you have a weak link.If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I agree. A few years ago I found myself worrying about the next latest & greatest to the point I wasn't appreciative of what I have. Of course, from time to time it's neat to try something different. A different flavor if you will.

We just watched a movie and now I'm listening to some CDs. Really happy with my meager Yamaha 663. Just got the crossovers done in my Academy and front Forte IIs by DeanG and added the titanium tweeters from Bob Crites for all three front speakers. It sound great.

My question as far as the UMC-1 goes is do I want to open Pandora's box? I'm really happy with what I have but of course as soon has you hear better the bar is raised and there is no going back! My system is in my signature. It isn't anywhere near the top system on this forum I know but I'm happy with it. I kind of wonder if I'm better off not knowing if the UMC-1 is better!!!

ALL that matters is that you enjoy your set and don't feel you have a weak link.If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I agree. A few years ago I found myself worrying about the next latest & greatest to the point I wasn't appreciative of what I have. Of course, from time to time it's neat to try something different. A different flavor if you will.

I recognize I could better my system but looking back at what I had less than two years ago I think I'm so far ahead of that time I'm comfortable stopping and taking the time to just appreciate what I have. Thats not to say I won't still be thinking about the next upgrade, its hard not to, but really for now what I have is good enough.

If I had a room like Youthman then I think I'd be more anxious to improve, but for the next few years I'll be trapped in my living room as my HT room so what I have works really well. What also helped calm my update bug is the check I just wrote to my son's orthodontist, I could have bought between three to four UMC-1s with that check! And my laptop is getting dated, and, and, and...

I guess I'm still excited about HT but I need to balance that addiction with the other things in my life so for now I'm trying to control the upgades.

But you know I really need a good sub... [:P]

I recognize I could better my system but looking back at what I had less than two years ago I think I'm so far ahead of that time I'm comfortable stopping and taking the time to just appreciate what I have. Thats not to say I won't still be thinking about the next upgrade, its hard not to, but really for now what I have is good enough.

If I had a room like Youthman then I think I'd be more anxious to improve, but for the next few years I'll be trapped in my living room as my HT room so what I have works really well. What also helped calm my update bug is the check I just wrote to my son's orthodontist, I could have bought between three to four UMC-1s with that check! And my laptop is getting dated, and, and, and...

I guess I'm still excited about HT but I need to balance that addiction with the other things in my life so for now I'm trying to control the upgrades.

But you know I really need a good sub... [:P]

• 3 weeks later...

Easy for me to say, but I think you should buy it. If you don't get it, and if you're like me, you'll be thinking about it wondering how it would've worked.

If you have saved and can afford it now, go for it. You can always sell it and get 85-90% back ($600-$650).

Still no update on my order......but I will not be ordering when the time comes. I think $600 in tubes is better served for me.

This is a 7.1 prepro,hdmi and latest codecs and features.If you don't need those you don't need a UMC.Does $600 in tubes do the same? If not then I don't get the comparison.

If you are still on the fence, they only thing you could do wrong is NOT buy the UMC....[:P]

I've had the LMC-1, MMC-1, and a few receivers, and the UMC-1 is a real step up. More than anything the clarity and detail are much more present. Lower noise floor for sure. My current room is far from being great, but the difference is very evident. Now Fish's room is quite the dream for audio, and yes the UMC-1 is outstanding too.... [H]

The current 'bugs' if you will are nothing but a minimal firmware fix which is forthcoming sometime in the near future. Tell me how many company presidents would even bother to update their forum with information such as the firmware timeframe among other things?

Still no update on my order......but I will not be ordering when the time comes. I think $600 in tubes is better served for me.

This is a 7.1 prepro,hdmi and latest codecs and features.If you don't need those you don't need a UMC.Does $600 in tubes do the same? If not then I don't get the comparison.

Exactly, I have a Denon AVR (7.1 analog from the Oppo, HDMI, etc) I am happy with and thought at first I could use the on-board amps with a new pre/pro, not the case.

Then I started to go with the UMC/UPA combo. UMC started having issues, lost my appetite.

For me, my HT room is worst then my 2 channel room and I will be in this house for another 2-3 years, that's why I will get more bang for my buck with tube upgrade rather than a pre/pro upgrade from AVR especially given that the software is nowhere near stable (according to reports).

He with a better room and/or a worse AVR may make another choice.

USNRET...you have mail.

Nothing at this time.

and i looked back thru the PMs. I have dgoreck and stxman for my spot based on PM timing. No guarantees gents but if I can help you out under the EMO rules, I certainly will.

the true cost of upgrading. beware the pics you are about to see, SUCK! it's been at least a month since my Onkyo 805 found a good home. it's only been a handful of days since the crossovers were shipped out. i won't be able to hook everything up for at least several more months. once you take into consideration, getting the umc-1, xpa-3 (going to buy at same time), deciding on which parts to buy for crossovers, new power cables, swithing units around the et center, new wires, remake several is not all power cables, tying it all back up, and finally turning it on. yeah, it's going to be a while.

post-23806-13819556073476_thumb.jpg

post-23806-13819582894154_thumb.jpg