proper interconnects for my sub

The Dude

I have 2 options, rca ins or balanced ins. Now I know I've read somewhere were its only necessary to us balance for over 10ft runs, if this is the case is it necessary to run balanced or could I just us a good rca interconnect I have 30ft of rg-59 cable with the tools for compressing the ends. If I go with balanced any recommendations on wire for that.

Now another question is do I need to use both inputs like I do with the rcas and if so, how do I go from the balanced plug to the rca so I can split down to the single line in on the receiver. Hope this makes since.

duder

Unless LFE signals deteriorate faster with long runs, I wouldn't mess with balanced. Here is decent sub cable from Monoprice. Don't want to tell you stuff you already know, but add this splitter and you're good to go with the sub. They do have XLR to RCA cords that will get you closer to using balanced ins. I don't see any splitters though. Hope this helps.

Just call me Joe Monoprice.

If your subwoofer output on your receiver is RCA use RCA for sub. If its XLR use XLR. There's no real benefit of using an RCA to XLR unless you're like me and your sub amp only has XLR inputs and not RCA.

A y-splitter will yield slightly higher output from the sub, but so will turning up the gain control.

for a long run, the xlr is better for shielding reasons. i have a 50' run, when i get my umc-1 i'll buy a new 50' xlr sub cable. you are right, if you have an amp to receiver link, if you are less than (i'd say) 6' then the cable desn't matter (rca vs. xlr). at monoprice, i wouldn't use that y splitter either. use this one.

the reason is, not for price, but quality. the one i susggested is machine made, so it should be perfect each and every time. the other one should be hand made, you are guessing which worker did what kind of job. now if you have a bob carver sub like mine, they spaced their rca inputs too far apart to the adapter i suggested won't work. check your sub inputs first, if they are a standard width, get the "hard Y" adapter i suggested.

you should use a y adapter because most subs see the signal this way. " i have 2 inputs, 1 is being used, so i divide 1 by 2 so i get .5. it cuts the signal in half. klipsch and Elemental designs both recemmend using a Y adapter to get a full signal. sunfire does not, they have their set up different, 1 rca cable will give the sub the full signal.

• 3 weeks later...

The receiver I just picked up had 2 sub outs sub1 and sub2, my sub like I said has 2 rca inputs, someone recommend a splitter to go directly into the sub so I only would use one cable from my old receiver to the sub then split it down. Originally I just you a y cable out of the receiver and used dual rca wires to hook to the sub. Now that I have two plugs on both and Siamese rg-59(which I had on hand) could I just use that to run from the receiver to the sub. Does this make sense yes no maybe.

thanks

Nick

Since sub out is generally mono, 1 interconnect is all you need. Does your receiver with 2 sub outs have a left sub and right sub out, or is it for a pair of mono subs? If it's for a pair of mono subs and you're using one sub, one lead will do.

According to Paradigm's sub owner's manual, the usual way to connect the sub is with one In. If you need extra sub volume, connect to both Ins and you'll get an extra 6dB of volume. When I first hooked up the sub, I hadn't downloaded and read the manual/flyer and connected both inputs with a Y splitter. The volume was so high I thought the sofa was going to move across the room; in other words, much too high. With my system, I get best results with only one sub input connected.

i wouldn't worry too much about the balanced cable, if it's single ended on the processor you'll gain no benefit by having it be xlr at the sub end.

As far as having 2 sub out channels, from what i've read all processors sum the FL and FR for a mono out on both channels, it would be nice if the didn't sum them together, but seldom does bass come from one channel when listening to stereo.

My one complaint with my PB13 U is that there is no high gain inputs which I would have liked for when I purchase another one, I would like to have set them up in a stereo configuration with the high gain inputs for stereo listening and then use the RCA for LFE in multi channel settings.

All the subs i've had in the past have always said that only one input was neccessary, yet online most suggest splitting and using both sides. I had a splitter available so I used it, I did notice a boost in output.

What are you doing through out the next week, I need someone with a sense of what is going on, spl meter, bass samples, and willing to help lift a 105lb sub around. I finally got my receiver in. I am done upgrading and have everything I want for the most part., and need help setting up.

i wouldn't worry too much about the balanced cable, if it's single ended on the processor you'll gain no benefit by having it be xlr at the sub end.

As far as having 2 sub out channels, from what i've read all processors sum the FL and FR for a mono out on both channels, it would be nice if the didn't sum them together, but seldom does bass come from one channel when listening to stereo.

My one complaint with my PB13 U is that there is no high gain inputs which I would have liked for when I purchase another one, I would like to have set them up in a stereo configuration with the high gain inputs for stereo listening and then use the RCA for LFE in multi channel settings.

All the subs i've had in the past have always said that only one input was neccessary, yet online most suggest splitting and using both sides. I had a splitter available so I used it, I did notice a boost in output.

Nick